FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
About the Game:
- What is Arvoch Alliance?
- What features set Arvoch Alliance apart from other space-sims?
- How is Arvoch Alliance different from Arvoch Conflict?
- What inspired you to create Arvoch Alliance?
- How do I upgrade my copy of the game to a newer version?
Video, Sound, and Performance Questions:
- The framerate is really low and/or some of the sound or music in the game crackles, what's wrong?
- The intro movie appears pixelated/blocky or stutters, is there a way to fix the problem?
- The game closes with a 'File Error' message or 'Could not load image' message?
- I can't get voice chat to work and/or several sound effects are missing while in multiplayer?
- I have a problem running the game and the suggestions here haven't fixed it. What can I do?
Gameplay and Multiplayer Questions:
- I use a router/firewall/ICS/NAT and can't get internet-based multiplayer to work?
- Why are the atmosphere physics different from typical flight simulations?
Buying and Registering:
- What if I lose my registration information, can I still get the key to the game I paid for?
- I would like to buy several licenses for family/friends, can I get a discount for the game?
- I purchased the game and haven't received my registration key, what can I do?
- How does the order process and registration system work, can I install the game later on a new computer I buy?
What is Arvoch Alliance?
- Arvoch Alliance is a 3D space combat simulation for the PC. One of its primary design goals is to present a fairly realistic simulation of what space combat might be like in the future and it features several single player and multiplayer gameplay modes. From its extensive information display systems to its diverse control options, from the Newtonian style physics system to the advanced target tracking and selection options, Arvoch Alliance aims to set the standard for first person space combat simulation.
What features set Arvoch Alliance apart from other space-sims?
- Below is a list of unique features found in Arvoch Alliance. Some other space-sims might have some of these features, but Arvoch Alliance is the only one that includes all of them in one game:
- Diverse mission objectives including escort, spy, planet surface strikes, rescue, capture, mine, and build.
- Interactive environments that effect the player's ship including nebula clouds, seamless planet descents, asteroid fields, gas giant atmospheres, and more.
- Player designed custom mission options with a stand-alone mission editor.
- Fuel resource management (including a fuel recovery mission objective).
- Mouse, Keyboard, AND Joystick/Gamepad control options (including support for up to 10 simultaneous control devices with 32 buttons each).
- Menu driven command/order system for directing ships under the player's command.
- Realistic Newtonian style physics
- 3D cockpit with functional displays and readout text rendered as part of the 3D scene.
- Easy-to-use modification options for various graphics and sound effects to customize the look and feel of the game.
- Realistic spacecraft instrumentation useful to pilots for situation awareness and tactical planning including HUD indicators, FPM (Flight Path Marker), pitch ladder, motion spears/ladders, compass, 'cone-of-vulnerability' gunsight, detailed ship status, and more.
- Full 3D radar (with 3D spherical direction indication).
- Advanced target tracking and selection (including damage, movement, weapon configuration, and identity details).
- High detail, multi-surface animated explosion, flak, and impact effects. Capital ships can also break apart in pieces.
- Player directed ship selection for flight group.
- Directional shielding with augment control.
- Multiplayer that includes Coop, Dogfight, and Team-vs-Team modes. AI/NPC ships can also be added to fill in player slots.
- Support for TrackIR.
- All degrees of freedom of motion (forward/reverse, left/right, up/down, pitch, roll, and yaw)
How is Arvoch Alliance different from Arvoch Conflict?
- Arvoch Alliance introduces new features and technology including new gameplay modes, a new graphics engine, more control options, support for linear and dynamic missions, time based events (rather than only waypoint based), more squadron/ship configuration options, new weapons and equipment, new special effects, and much more.
What inspired you to create Arvoch Alliance?
- I have been a fan of science-fiction for a long time and have been fascinated by space. I've often wondered what kind of technology would be developed in the future to facilitate space travel. For my games, I've worked to include a sense of 'pilot' and 'simulation' realism and depth rather than just point-n-shoot. I'm also interested in real world aircraft and the nuances/skills required to master such complex machines and one of my goals is to translate some of that depth and diversity into the space games I make. Arvoch Alliance is the culmination of over a decade of work on my part toward achieving those objectives.
How do I upgrade my copy of the game to a newer version?
- The game can be updated, patched, and reinstalled using the same downloadable installation file available on the game's website. Simply download and run the installer to either install the game or update it. This helps make the process of installation and upgrading easy. You can upgrade/patch your copy of the game without interfering with the registration status for both the demo and full version. Your settings and player profiles are also preserved when upgrading.
The framerate is really low and/or some of the sound or music in the game crackles, what's wrong?
- Sound crackling/stuttering can occur if your system has trouble keeping up with the resource demands of the game due to low 3D performance and/or low system resources. The first step to try is update the drivers for your 3D video card and sound system. If the problem continues, stop all non-essential running programs to free up as much of your system's resources as possible. These two steps solve many performance problems. If performance problems continue, try reducing the detail settings in the Options menu (Graphics, Planet, and Shaders). For additional information on improving system performance, click here.
The intro movie appears pixelated/blocky or stutters, is there a way to fix the problem?
- Such problems can usually be fixed on most systems. The game attempts to scale the intro video to fill the entire screen. On systems with high resolutions, this can result in a stretched and/or blocky appearance. Some low performing systems may also have difficulty playing the video. You can force the game to render the video at a fixed resolution by creating a text file in the game's install folder named 'novideofullscreen.txt' and the video will play without any scaling adjustments. Note that the video may not fill the entire screen when this option is enabled, but the image quality may be higher. If you want to bypass the video entirely, create a text file in the game's install folder named 'novideo.txt' and the game will skip the video.
The game closes with a 'File Error' message or 'Could not load image' message?
- This indicates the game could not load media it needs into memory. It can happen if an outside program blocks resources the game needs or if the system lacks sufficient resources for the game. First, make sure your system meets the minimum disk and memory requirements and that it has enough free physical memory for the game. Next, check to make sure there isn't one or more other programs running in the background that could interfere with the game. Some anti-virus software may prevent the game from loading media it needs, so if your anti-virus software includes a 'gaming mode', that may also resolve the problem. For more information and options on this and related problems, visit this thread on the forum.
I can't get voice chat to work and/or several sound effects are missing while in multiplayer?
- This can sometime occur on systems with 5.1 audio (particularly Realtek) that have trouble providing the resource needs required for the game. A driver update can often resolve the problem. If you do not wish to update your driver or want to try another solution, switching to traditional stereo may also resolve such problems. If you have a Realtek sound system, you can update the driver here.
I have a problem running the game and the suggestions here haven't fixed it. What can I do?
- If you haven't been able to find a solution to a particular problem, you can complete the following steps to forward your system specifications/details in an e-mail so further assistance may be possible.
- Click on Start, Run, then type in MSINFO32 and press enter.
- Then click on the File option at the top and click on Save.
- Save the NFO file, ZIP it to compress the size of the file, then attach it to an e-mail, send it to
and include a detailed description of the problem.
I use a router/firewall/ICS/NAT and can't get internet-based multiplayer to work?
- On most systems, you can simply join a multiplayer game. However, certain routers and/or firewalls may block the needed ports for the game. You may need to open/forward ports manually to get multiplayer to work (for details on how to do this, refer to the documentation for your router/modem/firewall). Hosting a game will often require opening the needed ports. With many devices, you can often access the settings by entering the IP address 192.168.0.1 in your web browser. The following ports are needed for the game:
- 28888 TCP
- 28889 UDP
If you're using a router, another option is to bypass your router and connect directly to your modem via ethernet or USB.
Another option is placing the gaming computer in the DMZ (refer to your router's documentation on how to do this), although this is not recommended due to the higher security risk.
For additional resources on configuring ports/routers for multiplayer games, visit PortForward.com
Note: Disabling a firewall, placing a computer in the DMZ, or opening ports can result in lower security for your network/internet connection. By disabling such security measures, it's possible for someone to break into your network and cause harm to your computer and/or obtain personal information from your computer. If you choose to disable your network security measures, you do so at your own risk. The most secure way to play multiplayer games is through a wired LAN (local area network) and NOT a wireless one.
Why are the atmosphere physics different from typical flight simulations?
- Arvoch Alliance simulates spacecraft physics, even in atmospheres. It does not simulate many of the limitations of modern aircraft. Spacecraft in Arvoch Alliance are not limited to only forward powered thrust to generate lift and do not need the control systems of an aircraft due to their thruster capabilities. There are no flaps, ailerons, or elevators, there is no need for them because the craft are not limited to air flight, so they are not subject to the same limitations of aircraft. Their thruster systems and bi-directional wings are powerful enough to allow them to fly backwards and keep their nose up when flying slow, but not fully hover at high altitude and not generate enough lift to fly sideways like they can in space. The game does simulate changes in the flight model as a result of atmospheric flight, including drag, friction, gravity, and additional fuel consumption. The changes in the flight model also realistically scale with altitude.
What if I lose my registration information, can I still get the key to the game I paid for?
Yes. If you ordered the game directly, simply submit an e-mail requesting your registration details and include your name and e-mail address used on the order (any additional information just makes the process faster, but isn't required). If you ordered the game through a reseller, contact the reseller for your registration details.
I would like to buy several licenses for family/friends, can I get a discount for the game?
Yes. The discount varies based on the number of copies needed. Have a member of the group contact me with the details of your group (name of group, names of members including e-mail addresses, number of systems, etc.) and I will supply instructions on buying multiple licenses at a discount price. A separate registration will be given to each group member (each one will have the renewal option and full registration benefits).
I purchased the game and haven't received my registration key, what can I do?
One of the most likely causes for a delay is the e-mail address you provided with your order is rejecting our e-mails to you (usually because the e-mail address you provided is spelled incorrectly or your e-mail service has blocked it or routed it to a spam folder). There may also be a technical problem. If your payment has been finalized and you still haven't received your key after around 12 hours, please contact us to follow up on the status of your order and resend your information as needed. To expedite your order, please verify your e-mail address is correct when placing your order and make sure your mailbox can receive the e-mail.
How does the order process and registration system work, can I install the game later on a new computer I buy?
Once an order is processed and passes the fraud check (which usually takes less than a few minutes or few hours at most), a random key is e-mailed to the registered user. The key does not expire and can be used to install the game on a different computer at a later date (keys are not computer locked or hardware dependent). There are only simple checks in place to prevent the same key from being used for more than one player in multiplayer and for key validity. Even if the game's website and online multiplayer server list system aren't around at some point in the future, you can still use your key to register the game you paid for offline. There are also no installation count limits that would risk preventing you from installing the game months or years later. Likewise, there are no uninstall 'deactivation' requirements to restore installation functionality.
Once the game is registered, it converts itself into the full version. The full version can be updated, patched, and reinstalled using the same installation file. One installation file is used for the demo, full version, and all upgrades/patches. This helps make the process of installation and upgrading easier. You can upgrade/patch your copy of the game without interfering with the registration status for both the demo and full version.
If you have questions about the registration system or anything else about the game, I can be reached via e-mail.