Atollski's Nav Tool...

Tips, tactics, and general discussion for Evochron Legacy.
Atollski
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

The "Save" option isn't working for me.

Post by Atollski »

All the refresh does is redraw the tree diagram - if you change an object type and want to see the correct icon, you can click the refresh button to view its new icon. Also if you have done a search and want to view the full tree again, the refresh button will do that for you.

Sorry it's a bit slow on the updates front... I'm currently scraping all the program settings into one configuration screen so I can roll out 0.9 with some of the new stuff like the dynamic map mod, HTTP comms and that rather helpful save button which I guess I accidentally left out of 0.8. :(
I'd also like to rig up something that can import a file from somebody else and collate it with your existing data.

As for the frustrations exploring, it is quite difficult working out in your head how systems could be laid out, especially when you are crossing borders between 3 or more systems and not knowing whether they are from your old system, the new one or a third unexpected one that ruins all your calculations... Might have a shot at doing a visual representation and see what it looks like!
Like exploring? - Ver. 1.0 (13/02/2011) What is this?

Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

:cool: It's not that frustrating. You just need to keep in mind that it might all be one star system. Graph paper helps me determine which way to go for the 200-sector offsets. And, when you click on that trilateration option and get a set of possilble coordinates ... well, it's like giving birth. All the frustration is (all of a sudden) worth the effort.
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

A question for you, Atoll: If I already have the necessary cross-referenced planetary data, do I still need to check the "Nav" box when I go hunting for a new planet? Or is it sufficient to simply check the "Log" box prior to doing the border crossings and trilateration?
DennyMala
Captain
Captain

Post by DennyMala »

Now I got it. Atoll said it was a feature of 0.8 version and that was to be found under the "pop up when in a new system" option is.

Will wait for 0.9. :)
Best regards

[IM] DennyMala
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

From post: 101410, Topic: tid=6799, author=Eclipse wrote:The Nav box will cause the program to suck in anything you put in the game's maplog ....
:cool: That's why I asked. Whenever you launch the Nav Tracker and click on the Nav box, the program automatically loads anything that's in the game Log (for the designated pilot profile). But, if you already have the info listed in your Nav Tracker's database, there's no need to re-load it ... especially if what you plan to do is go searching for more new planets.
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

:cool: Correction. I think my problem was due to operator error. Yesterday, I loaded my in-game Nav Log with planets in a known system ... in preparation for doing a bit of exploring. I then launched Atoll's program and ticked the Nav box ... it "uploaded" the new entries from the game Log. I then un-checked the Nav box.

:o Today, before starting the hunt, I launched Atoll's program again and, this time, I only checked the Log box. After finding said hidden system (without a hitch), I put all the planets in the game Log. All the other entries were also still in the game log. But ... (drum roll) when I ticked the Nav box, only the new entries uploaded to Atoll's list.

:) So, it all worked as advertised. Thanks again, Atollski.
Atollski
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Atollski »

You may want to tick the 'update' button which allows the program to feed data back into the nav log. When you run the trilateration function, the results will be uploaded into the map log so you can select it as a destination in-game... (You may need the nav box checked to make this work). :)

Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

:cool: True. The way I described it, your program doesn't upload trilateration coordinates to the game's Nav Log. But I find it easier to do it that way ... since I use paper and pencil to keep track of crossover points anyway.
49rTbird
Captain
Captain

Post by 49rTbird »

Hi Atollski , can't get this lead to work? http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?fcjq0g615313cor from you post.:(

It says "SeeJays Data" on the post but converted to the above when I copied it?

[Edited on 2-2-2011 by thetiebers]
Explore! Explore! Explore! \"There is no going back (Yet) so Make Today Count!
Atollski
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Atollski »

I've removed the link from the original post as the file doesn't seem to work too well with 0.8 and I had actually removed it from Mediafire a while ago. There is another one in my main Mediafire folder (not as comprehensive as SeeJay's but with the main jump routes and some of the main objects) so it may be helpful?

49rTbird
Captain
Captain

Post by 49rTbird »

From post: 101533, Topic: tid=6799, author=Atollski wrote:I've removed the link from the original post as the file doesn't seem to work too well with 0.8 and I had actually removed it from Mediafire a while ago. There is another one in my main Mediafire folder (not as comprehensive as SeeJay's but with the main jump routes and some of the main objects) so it may be helpful?
Ok call me dense but I don't know how to find your "main Mediafire folder"?

OK I found the site again (senior moment) and copied the navdata.txt file into the Merc folder and now your program won't open. I put the one created by the program the first time but empty and the program works again. This only means I can't take advantage of what people have already done and logged to include your file. This has been the problem since I started using the program.:(

[Edited on 2-2-2011 by thetiebers]
Atollski
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Atollski »

I'm not sure where the problem comes from in that file - it seems OK on my computer but plays up for other people. Has anybody else managed to get that file working?

I'll improve the file loading code for the next update so it can handle problems with the file structure/display...

Many apologies it's playing up, I'm on a mission to fix it!

Atollski
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Atollski »

Hi all,

it's been a while since the last Map Log update, but I've been tinkering away with some new updates and have uploaded version 0.9 along with source code - Apologies it has taken so long!

Some significant changes have been added:
- New configuration page (Select Options from the Tools and Options menu)
- New configuration file Map Log.cfg replaces navsettings.txt
- You can create a dynamic map from your recorded data and mod it straight into the game
- Program can handle a few errors and send fault reports to Map Log Errors.txt
- You can specify a HTTP web page and the program will transmit the savedata.txt as a Post whenever the file is updated. Verb and MapMan, this one is for you! :)
- The HTTP Post text can be modified by using a processing string to format it the way you want the web page to see it
- New icons for Systems, Black Holes, Jump Gates, Wormholes and Containers
- New entry type Group with associated icon. This can be used to organise information
- Sort by range implemented
- Entry in tree view shows date recorded on mouse hover
- Removed text boxes from bottom of main window and put them in Settings screen
- Lots of tweaks and adjustments that I've forgotten about

Stuff to do:
- Submission system similar to savedata HTTP Post
- Receive system to drag data back from a website
- Properly implement the refresh rate control setting (this doesn't work yet!)
- Overhaul the Jump entry (it's a bit of a filthy hack at the moment to be honest)
- Repair the Dijkstra route finding because the previous task will break it.
- Improve the trilateration to handle planets with a duplicate name
- A few more icons for entry types
- Updated set of instructions

The download is in the usual place (click the image in my sig) as version 0.9

I've also uploaded a game called Fleet 2000 which I made ages ago in college for anybody who is interested. The Delphi 6 source code is also available.

Hope you enjoy the update as much as I enjoyed making it!

SeeJay
Captain
Captain

Post by SeeJay »

Great work Mate.

Downloading now. This will be really cool when all the pieces falls into place.;)
\"Nothing is impossible, it only takes a bit longer!\"
\"We are not retreating, we are advancing in another direction!\"

http://evochron.junholt.se (Old)
http://www.evochron2.junholt.se (New)
http://mercenary.junholt.se (Map)
http://www.junholt.se/evoschool/index.htm (No spoilers)
-8- Bzzzzzzzzz! -8- -8-
Atollski
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Atollski »

Oops, the type drop down list was not updating correctly - have uploaded the corrected version!

Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

:cool: Fleet 2000, eh. What is it?
Atollski
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Atollski »

It's a 2D space shooter - Space for the menu, move mouse to move your ship, LMB for primary, RMB for secondary...

Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

:cool: Got the newest version of your Map Log program running. Very nice. But the Options page has a few additional tabs and windows that I can't figure out.

Connection Tab

What does the "http://" window do?

What does the "Port" window do?

What does the "Savedata Upload Format" window do?

What does the "Get from Server" button do?

Dynamic Map Tab

What do I put in the "Map Input File" window and what will it give me?

What do I put in the "Map Output File" window and what will it give me?
49rTbird
Captain
Captain

Post by 49rTbird »

Any instructions for this version?
SeeJay
Captain
Captain

Post by SeeJay »

Hi Marv.

I'm not sure, but I think it's preparation for connection with the Map-program MapMan
is working on.;)

-8- Bzzzzzzzzz! -8- -8-
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

:o Both tabs? (Just curious ... the basic program still works as it did before ... plus it now has the "Save" function.)
MapMan
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by MapMan »

Awesome. Great news. Im just gonna figure out how to use this new stuff the best way.

Right now i can fetch the savedata.txt on the local machine, But the ability to post the savedata to a web server opens up for shoing several pilots ships in one map. cool.
Atollski
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Atollski »

Time for some instructions on using the update!
Connection Tab

What does the "http://" window do?
What does the "Port" window do?
What does the "Savedata Upload Format" window do?
What does the "Get from Server" button do?
This is all about transmitting your in-game data to a web server. If you specify a url in the http:// box, every time the game log file is updated, it will attempt to connect to the server on the specified port and post the contents of the file as a HTTP Post.
The format box allows you to design your HTTP post string in the format your server is expecting. To insert text from a particular line of the savedata file, insert the text @1 for line 1, @2 for line 2 etc. The Get from server button will be implemented soon - it will send the server a request asking it how it wants the data configured and the server should hopefully provide the format for you. This means you can configure it to JSON MapMan :D
Dynamic Map Tab

What do I put in the "Map Input File" window and what will it give me?
What do I put in the "Map Output File" window and what will it give me?
Remember I was waffling on about a dynamic map ages ago that directly mods the map image while the game is running? This is it! When you have the map files set up and click the Save button, it will output a map image based on your recorded entries and jump routes to a location of your choice. I send it directly to the \\hud\\map.png file where it updates your quadrant map. You can overlay this map image on top of a background image of your choice.
To set it up
- You need a image file to start off with. You can use a custom background image of your choice or a plain black .png square. It's up to you. Save this image wherever you want.
- Close Evochron Mercenary if you have it running. If you add or remove hud files while the game is running, it will crash. And rightly so too.
- Open up the Map Log program and select Options
- Select the Dynamic Map tab
- Click the button next to the input file and browse to the image file you created or downloaded earlier.
- Click the button next to the output file and browse to the Evochron Mercenary install folder (the default is c:\\sw3dg\\EvochronMercenary\\
- If you can see EvochronMercenary.exe, you are in the right folder and need to create a folder called hud if it is not there already. You want to save this file in the hud folder as map.png if you want to overlay the main map file.
- Once you have selected both input and output files, click OK to close the settings
- Click the Save button on the map log program
- Check to see it has created the file and inspect the file to see if it looks OK. The result will depend on the size of the input file and type. A png image input will give a cleaner looking output file for the game. I tend to use an 800x800 pixel png black square as a source file.
- Once the file is in place, you can run the game and use the map log as usual.
- Once you have recorded new systems, you can click the save button to save your current data and also re-build the dynamic map. The next time you open the quadrant map, you should see your new addition!
- To disable the dynamic map updates, delete the source file text.
- To revert back to the original map, close mercenary then delete the map.png file from the /hud/ folder

Note this isn't anywhere near as elegant as MapMan's implementation of a dynamic map, but it's a slightly different functionality so I'm hoping I'll be forgiven!

Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

Image Very interesting. I'll take a look at it and see how it jives with swapping out HUD files via the Generic Mod Enabler.
SeeJay
Captain
Captain

Post by SeeJay »

Great work Mate. It's going to be really interesting testing it out.

-8- Bzzzzzzzzz! -8- -8-