Atollski's Nav Tool...

Tips, tactics, and general discussion for Evochron Legacy.
Atollski
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Atollski's Nav Tool...

Post by Atollski »

Hi all,

I've seen on the forums that some people are looking for some kind of formalised data/exploration/navigation and also the great stuff that Muni is currently doing.
[edit] MapMan and Siege are now producing GUIs which interface with Evochron Mercenary, check them out!

Have written a program which may be helpful; an automatic navigation log and navigation system...
Basically, it will watch the log entries recorded on Evochron and dump them into an ever growing list of locations. You can arrange the structure of these locations in a tree type structure of your own choice

If you have the save text data file system running, you can also specify the text file and use the other feature - the route finder. Double click any item on the location tree and the system will calculate the most efficient route (using jump gates if known) and feed these into your nav log as a set of waypoints.

[Edit] Have just created a logging system which creates a flight log file which can be put through a spreadsheet of your choice
Graph using OpenOffice Calc

Still testing it but have attached it (and all source code) for anybody who is interested. It was built in Visual C++ 2008 Express.

To configure and use it:
- [Edit] Read the linked instructions

If you want to travel somewhere, browse it on the tree list and double click it. The system will analyse the Jump network and calculate an optimal route. This route will be output as a set of waypoints directly into your in-game nav log.

Stuff planned:
Navigation logging/captains log
Greater range of icons in the tree view
Some kind of link to SeeJay's website
A shovel load of testing
A good night's sleep

*Disclaimer*
This program is still WIP so there may be bugs and limited error handling. If there are any glitches, let me know how you managed to get the error so I can blame it on the set-up of your computer.

All source code and images are included, would be grateful for any feedback or suggestions!

Version 0.9

[Edited on 6/2/2011 by Atollski]
Like exploring? - Ver. 1.0 (13/02/2011) What is this?

Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

The "Save" option isn't working for me.

Post by Maarschalk »

LOL...very nice. One thing though so far, under "To use it" the first sentence should read: You need the latest version of EM(Evochron Mercenary) not EL(Evochron Legends)....It probably will also work in Legends thou...LOL..;):cool:
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

Evochron Mercenary Stats:

Darkness is the absence of Light as Evil is the absence of Good
MiaZ
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by MiaZ »

This looks like great.
Real nice and neat and something I would like to use.
I didn't see where the attachment is. where I can download this?
Aesir Rising
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by Aesir Rising »

Vice:
If you're watching, could you please add a jump event to the log output? The purpose is to make the data hand-off between your EM logging and this type of client app and SeeJay's site more betterer.

Trying to future-proof the request, I think coordinates of the start point and end point of a jump works, and a flag of some kind to distinguish between jump types (e.g., fulcrum, wormhole, jump gate, and if that mantis drive differs from the fulcrum, one for the mantis too?).

Atollski:
Our first challenge is to locate the attachment. I suspect forum attachments are either viewable only by the admin(s) or must go through a moderation process to appear. Feel free to explore hosting options such as skydrive.com/box.net/dropbox.com.

[Edited on 10-27-2010 by Aesir Rising]
-æsir
Atollski
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Atollski »

I think it is blocking the zip attachment somehow... Will sort out some hosting and plonk a link...

[Edit]

Have sorted out hosting and included links for source code and executable only. Apologies if it is a bit tempermental, error checking is not particularly rigorous.

Hope this works OK...

[Edited on 27/10/2010 by Atollski]

SeeJay
Captain
Captain

Post by SeeJay »

This is just great Atollski. ;)

I read that you were thinking about linking to my site in some way. Great idea. I'm not even close
to your skills in this area, but if I can do anything to aid you, just let me know.

I mentioned last night when we flew together that I can hand over my excel-file with coords if that is of
any help. It's not done yet but it will be in a near future I hope.

Keep up the great work and nice flying with you last night! :P
\"Nothing is impossible, it only takes a bit longer!\"
\"We are not retreating, we are advancing in another direction!\"

http://evochron.junholt.se (Old)
http://www.evochron2.junholt.se (New)
http://mercenary.junholt.se (Map)
http://www.junholt.se/evoschool/index.htm (No spoilers)
-8- Bzzzzzzzzz! -8- -8-
Mister Vertigo
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Mister Vertigo »

Greetings! I'm a new player and I thought I'd try this out while I'm still exploring the game.

I'm running Windows 7 64 bit, and I get the following error when I run the Map Log.exe file:

The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log or use the command-line sxstrace.exe tool for more detail.
I'm not sure what this means! I copied the Map Log.exe file into the same directory where EvochronMercenary.exe is. I also created a savedatasettings.txt in the same directory, and the only contents in that file is the number 5000.

I tried running the game first and then launching this program, but I got the same error and then the game crashed!

This program looks cool, so any ideas you have would be great. Thanks!
Aesir Rising
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by Aesir Rising »

Atollski would know - if the executable only package is a debug build exe, that would be the cause of the SxS error.
-æsir
Atollski
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Atollski »

Hi Mister Vertigo,

I've never heard of that error before - normally most of my problems are caused by mismanaging memory (a bit like real life).

Aesir is right, it was a debug build, have done a release build and uploaded it. Hope it works this time.

About the jump log event, I think there is enough information available to do this - can extract engine model and locations and do a bit of calculation. What sort of stuff do you want in a log? Jump events, damage taken, damage inflicted? It won't be amazingly accurate but can give it a go...

[Edit]The latest build will always be linked at the top of the thread

Also have an example log file with some entries, copy this to the same directory as the application.

Hope this works :)

[Edited on 28/10/2010 by Atollski]

[Edited on 31/10/2010 by Atollski]

Mister Vertigo
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Mister Vertigo »

Thanks, I'll give this a try when I get home. I also had a message in my Event Logs too that I'll post as well. I have a feeling it's an issue with my computer being a 64 bit processor running a 64 bit OS. The log said something about finding x86 or something like that, but I don't remember exactly.

I'll try this new build when I get home and let you know what happens!
Mister Vertigo
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Mister Vertigo »

I downloaded the non-debug version and it runs just fine. Now I just need to play with it and figure out how it works! :)

One more question though, when you say:

If you want to travel somewhere, browse it on the tree list and double click it. The system will analyse the Jump network and calculate an optimal route. This route will be output as a set of waypoints directly into your in-game nav log.
So, if I want to travel to a station in the Sapphire system, I just double click on the station entry in the program? Is that right? When I double click an item in my list I get an error that says "Index was outside the bounds of the array" in a pop-up box. I can click continue, and it goes back to the program but nothing happens.

I'm sorry to be a pest, maybe I'm the only one running Windows 7?
Aesir Rising
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by Aesir Rising »

Mister - it's an error under Vista and 7 (doesn't matter what the system word size is) that tells you the program can't find the right run time library or library version.

A common reason for that is a program being built as a debug build target - and given out to people that aren't running the debug runtime libraries (which for most practical purposes means anyone that hasn't installed the version of Visual Studio the program developer used to create the package).

Atollski: It launches without that error now. Thanks for pushing out a release build. The Jump event was intended to help hand that off to your utility - bypassing the need for a user to manually enter a jump gate start and end point coordinate, or any other manual input associated with jump drives, wormholes, and gate travel. Just a convenience feature I was thinking about. I haven't played EM in two days, though I will this weekend and hope to dig into your utility then. Looks great so far- thanks for your work.
-æsir
Atollski
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Atollski »

Thanks for testing it Aesir and Mister, will have a shot at making an linker which creates the jump entries for each gate recorded and also some kind of system for combining log files from other explorers
So, if I want to travel to a station in the Sapphire system, I just double click on the station entry in the program? Is that right?
It should do. The only requirement is that the program knows all the jump gates in between and the jump destination waypoints otherwise it will guide you to the nearest place and tell you to fly the rest of the way. You also need to have EM build 1.108 to ensure the savedata.txt is in a format the program will understand...

That index error sounds like shoddy programming on my part. It hasn't done that for me yet, is this while using the example data file or are you making your own? Does it do that for any item you double click on?

[Edit] Found a massive muck up in the nav calculation system - was misreading the current pilot location. Corrected and uploaded

[Edited on 28/10/2010 by Atollski]

Mister Vertigo
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Mister Vertigo »

It is working beautifully now. I played the game for a bit tonight and starting populating my database with jumpgates to get me to Pearl. Once I got them all entered correctly I was able to double-click on a station in Pearl and it put the nav points on my map to get me there from Sapphire.

It took me a bit to realize that Nav point 1 was the station in Sapphire where I currently was, and nav 2 was my first jump gate that I needed to travel to. Once I went through the gate at Nav 2 it took me to where nav 3 was, so I didn't have to actually travel to nav 3. Then nav 4 was the next I needed to travel to, and so on. I really only need to select the even numbered ones.

Thank you for sharing this great program!
Atollski
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Atollski »

Thanks for the feedback!

Have continued tinkering and am pleased to upload noooought poiiint fouuur...
Once again, thanks for the support, will keep updating this program if there is still interest and ideas for improvement.

0.4 update:
- works on 1.128 (the last version does too, but I'll pretend it's a new feature)
- Waypoint information in log
- automatic jump gate linking*
- hide lower pane toggle button
- new entry default location selector (Top level or selected node)
- City and Imported Nav Log icons
- Refresh button now works
- Tree stops collapsing every time it is refreshed (that was really irritating)

* Jump gate link button will automatically link jumpgates and create jump entries if they are not already specified. The only requirements are:
- Type must be "Jump Gate"
- The direct parent of the destination jump gate must be a system
- The name of the jumpgate must be the same name of the system it jumps to
(The manual linking method can still be done - these gates will be ignored)

Stuff still to do:
- Search box
- SeeJay's Website link
- Examine fitted engine type for improved route calculation
- Merging with other data sources
- Create an application icon

SeeJay
Captain
Captain

Post by SeeJay »

Hi Atollski.

A thought about your "still to do" SeeJay link.
I'm not sure what you want to do, but one idea is that you could link from your application to a specific
page on my site. If thats what your thinking about I could send you the page setup for the website if
that helps. ;)

-8- Bzzzzzzzzz! -8- -8-
Atollski
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Atollski »

Thanks SeeJay.

I have no idea how to go about it to be honest... Will make a start by trying to drag the data directly from your list pages because they are very well laid out - consistent and organised. :D

If we get that working, would it be possible for you to create a list of everything together on one page? Still not sure about the best way of getting the data back to you yet, that's the second part of the challenge!

SeeJay
Captain
Captain

Post by SeeJay »

Hi Atollski.

It's no problem to create a list with everything.

I have it in Excel right now. I could either create a table as the others or upload the excel for everyone to download. It's not complete as for now thou but I'm getting there.
(As far as the known system goes).
Unexplored space is a completely different story since it's a "small" space out there! LOL

-8- Bzzzzzzzzz! -8- -8-
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by DaveK »

I just love this gadget - thanks! :)

A couple of questions . . .

1: Can I edit the names in the tree structure? - I would like to explore Sapphire and have all the details under a Sapphire heading, like the example file with Sol as a sub section of Remula One and the planets and stations as sub sections of Sol. Is it possible to edit the names I've given the locations. My first one is "Sapphire - Evochron Station" and I would like to have it just as Sapphire. Is it possible to edit the text file directly? Is it possible to add locations directly to the text file? - I've spent quite a bit of time exploring already and would like to put the info into the programme without having to revisit each location!

2: I'm being dim I know but could you please explain what the Update and Log tick boxes do? I assume that the Nav tick box turns the programme on and off

3: What does "refresh list" actually do?

Again, awesome! :) . . . and again, thanks!

[Edited on 31-10-2010 by DaveK]
Callsign: Incoming
Life is like a sewer... what you get out of it depends on what you put into it. - Bob Newhart
Hell is being in a pure platinum asteroid field... with a diamond mining beam
ImageImage
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by DaveK »

Try the link at the end of Atollski's first post for the latest version (0.4) . . .

It's under:

Version 0.4
Executable Only
Full Source Code

About half way down the tread Atollski says
[Edit]The latest build will always be linked at the top of the thread Also have an example log file with some entries, copy this to the same directory as the application.

I think that http://www.mediafire.com/?mu7ubm65f61q7re works but I don't know how to reliably copy a URL :( - the link in the first post definitely works (as of this minute!) :)

[Edited on 31-10-2010 by DaveK]
Life is like a sewer... what you get out of it depends on what you put into it. - Bob Newhart
ImageImage
Atollski
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Atollski »

1: Can I edit the names in the tree structure? - I would like to explore Sapphire and have all the details under a Sapphire heading, like the example file with Sol as a sub section of Remula One and the planets and stations as sub sections of Sol. Is it possible to edit the names I've given the locations. My first one is "Sapphire - Evochron Station" and I would like to have it just as Sapphire.
Yes, just click the text in the tree and rename it. It should update the entry to the new name.
Is it possible to edit the text file directly? Is it possible to add locations directly to the text file? - I've spent quite a bit of time exploring already and would like to put the info into the programme without having to revisit each location!
Yep, just make sure the file format is consistent:
[Unique ID],[X],[Y],[Z],[SX],[SY],[SZ],[Parent ID (-1 = no parent)],"[Type]","[Name]","[Comments]"
If you need a hand, send me the text file and your data and I'll have a shot at merging them together.
2: I'm being dim I know but could you please explain what the Update and Log tick boxes do? I assume that the Nav tick box turns the programme on and off
The Update button clears entries in the in-game nav log as soon as they are recorded to the database. The Log box does nothing...yet.
3: What does "refresh list" actually do?
It just refreshes the tree

There are some instructions attached now and the broken link is removed :)

Website geekery will hopefully commence tomorrow after work. Apologies in advance if it somehow causes your site any distress SeeJay:cool:

DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by DaveK »

Thanks very much for the instructions :)

I've managed (in a trial - as in trial and error (much of the latter) ;)) to add a couple of locations, but my regular expression knowledge is somewhat rusty for adding "" around text, so it's a bit slow at the moment. I've got as far as: search for ([A-X][a-z]+) and relace with "\\1" but for multiword statements every word gets its "" as in "every" "word" "!" :P

In fact it would be quicker to take a holiday tour of Sapphire and log each place again! :P:P:P

[Edited on 1-11-2010 by DaveK]
ImageImage
SeeJay
Captain
Captain

Post by SeeJay »

Hi Atollski.

Did it work to take data from the tables on my site or would you like the data in an excel-file?;)
Great work by the way. I downloaded but I haven't had time to test it fully yet. (Toooo much map-charting):D

-8- Bzzzzzzzzz! -8- -8-
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by DaveK »

I've got a small excel file where I stored (manually and laboriously!) my explorations! Its hard to put "" around text in cells in excel for export to the nav text file. So i've exported without the "" and I'm relearning regex search and replace to fettle up the file to match Atollski's format, but I'm old and not as quick as I once was!! ;)

SeeJay - The tables in your site have the X Y Z and SX SY SZ the other way round to the navtext file, but that would be a doddle to fix in excel before exporting. Atollski (bless him!) offered to do the exporting / file melding for me, to convert my files, so he is obviously appropriately knowledgeable. :)
ImageImage
SeeJay
Captain
Captain

Post by SeeJay »

Hello DaveK.

If you like, I could switch the order in my Excel file and upload it to my site so you (and others) may download it.;)
Just let me know! (I could actually see if I can get the "" in there as well.)

-8- Bzzzzzzzzz! -8- -8-