Nice

Tips, tactics, and general discussion for Evochron Legacy.
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Nice

Post by Marvin »

CAUTION: Spoiler Alert!

1. Launch the game and, at the “Available Pilot Profile� menu, select the “Create Pilot� option:

2. Enter a Callsign (name) and then select any option except “Combat Pilot.� You will only be offered the Quest when piloting a civilian ship:

3. Launch the game:

4. Carefully read the message displayed in the chat box:

5. Zoom out on the navigation map to find the planet called New Hope. You can use the "Text On" option (button near the bottom, right) ... click on it and it will become a “Highlight� button, then cycle through the options in the next button down to select "Planets" ... thereby turning off any label that isn’t a planet:

6. Left click to set a waypoint near the planet (but not too near, else you'll destroy yourself upon impact with the planet's surface ... or burn up in the atmosphere). Then press the (default) "Alt+F" key to engage autopilot, hyper-jumping* to your waypoint:

7. Find the main city (a bracketed plus sign) and set a waypoint to it. Then click on the “Rear View� button (near the middle, right side) to switch map views:

8. Adjust your waypoint in the vertical (up and down):

9. At full normal speed, head for the waypoint. (Warning! Do not attempt to hyper-jump!) When you start getting green guide boxes, adjust your flight path toward the center of the boxes:

10. The guide boxes will direct you toward the city station. Continue inbound until the docking tractor beam engages and you're safely docked:

11. Read the new message displayed in the chat box:

12. Select the “Available Contracts� option:

13. Find and accept the one contract with “I.M.G.� in its title:

:cool: If you have problems completing the first contract ... stand by for the future release of a Mercenary Pilot’s Dash-1 Checklist.

* Edit 1: A Class 1 Fulcrum drive cannot make the trip to New Hope in a single jump. In fact, sometimes a Class 1 drive has trouble jumping to a computed waypoint. If you find your autopilot going nowhere, disengage and manually jump one sector at a time, via the (default) "F2" key, until you reach your destination.

Edit 2: Made correction to step 5 (nice catch, Eclipse).

[Edited on 1-20-2011 by Marvin]
chris79
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Nice

Post by chris79 »

Very nice Marvin!
BraveHart
Captain
Captain

Nice

Post by BraveHart »

"Cool tutorial Marvin" ;)
StarWolves Clan
Wing Commander [SW] BraveHart
Hellfire Squadron
Motto:\"When All Hell Breaks Loose!! Unleash the Wolves of War and We will Rain Hell Fire on All of Our Enemies\"

Von Paulus
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Nice

Post by Von Paulus »

Too late for me. After a full week of playing it (8 hours), only yesterday, I finally found New Hope to start my IMG quest. I guess I'm really slow. But I like to taste Evochron like I do when drinking an old scotch. Slowly for enjoying all the moments
Good tutorial Marvin.
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Nice

Post by Maarschalk »

Very nice Marv.....just one comment though. When starting out you have just a class 1 jump drive so jumping in the above tutorial to a waypoint that is more then 1 sector away will not work with F2. But you can use Auto Pilot Alt+F2 to jump to your set waypoint.....;):cool:

[Edited on 1-24-2012 by Maarschalk]
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

Evochron Mercenary Stats:

Darkness is the absence of Light as Evil is the absence of Good
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Nice

Post by Marvin »

:cool: Correction made. Thanks for pointing it out, Maars. Sorry 'bout getting it up 2 weeks late ... it's been sitting on my desktop for at least that long ... but RL and the best laid plans of mice and mercenaries. You know.
ShoHashi
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Nice

Post by ShoHashi »

Nice job, Marvin! :)

-Sho
StarWolves Clan
StarWolves Clan LCDR/Flight Lead
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Nice

Post by Maarschalk »

That is awesome Marv.......:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:;)
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

Evochron Mercenary Stats:

Darkness is the absence of Light as Evil is the absence of Good
SeeJay
Captain
Captain

Nice

Post by SeeJay »

Excellent Marv! :D
\"Nothing is impossible, it only takes a bit longer!\"
\"We are not retreating, we are advancing in another direction!\"

http://evochron.junholt.se (Old)
http://www.evochron2.junholt.se (New)
http://mercenary.junholt.se (Map)
http://www.junholt.se/evoschool/index.htm (No spoilers)
-8- Bzzzzzzzzz! -8- -8-
mikeuk
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Nice

Post by mikeuk »

Thanks Marvin, love playing online hope to see you out there :)

[Edited on 1-15-2011 by mikeuk]
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Nice

Post by Marvin »

:cool: Most likely, you will.
mikeuk
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Nice

Post by mikeuk »

Thanks any tips for flying through that tunnel ;)

[Edited on 1-20-2011 by mikeuk]
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Nice

Post by Marvin »

:cool: Change made ... thanks for spotting that one, Eclipse. And, as for caves, Vice added a new feature ... headlights!
Ocenica
Ensign
Ensign

Nice

Post by Ocenica »

Wow,

Believe it or not, this actually helped me out quite a bit. I've flown the planet a bunch but never found the quest. Had gotten frustrated and given up; was just flying around then decided to come here.

Now I have something more progressive to do than blowing up asteroids :) tyvm

Ocenica
IceCold
Ensign
Ensign

Nice

Post by IceCold »

Thanks for the awesome post. I look forward to your next installment. I figured out how to use the have system and auto pilot on my own, got to new hope and received my first img quest. Unfortunately I can't seem to place the satellite in the green box under the navy battleship. I'm also suffering from the 6970 freezes. From what I have been able to play, I love it.
SeeJay
Captain
Captain

Nice

Post by SeeJay »

From post: 131593, Topic: tid=6644, author=IceCold wrote:Thanks for the awesome post. I look forward to your next installment. I figured out how to use the have system and auto pilot on my own, got to new hope and received my first img quest. Unfortunately I can't seem to place the satellite in the green box under the navy battleship. I'm also suffering from the 6970 freezes. From what I have been able to play, I love it.
Hi and welcome.

To place the satellite (or any contract with delivery) just fly through the green box under the
ship and either press J to deploy cargo or open console with F3 and click on jettison cargo.

Be aware that all cargo bays are jettisoned, so make surer you only carry the cargo you
are to deliver. I think you can carry more cargo in other bays if you left click the cargo bay
to deliver.

Good luck!
\"Nothing is impossible, it only takes a bit longer!\"
\"We are not retreating, we are advancing in another direction!\"

http://evochron.junholt.se (Old)
http://www.evochron2.junholt.se (New)
http://mercenary.junholt.se (Map)
http://www.junholt.se/evoschool/index.htm (No spoilers)
-8- Bzzzzzzzzz! -8- -8-
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Nice

Post by Marvin »

From post: 131593, Topic: tid=6644, author=IceCold wrote:I look forward to your next installment.
:cool: LOL. This was a tutorial. If I added anything more, it would be a walk-thru. Which would be cool ... except most new guys never go looking for this stuff. Consequently, even if I (or someone else) spent a few hours taking screenshots and posting it all ... we'd still end up hovering on MP, typing out instructions to the chat box. (And that gets to be really frustrating when somebody logs on at the same time you send a chat message ... and, consequently, the chat prints out the log-on pilot and his location ... but fails to print out the chat message.)
IceCold
Ensign
Ensign

Nice

Post by IceCold »

Just waiting on the next post you promised us in your original post.
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Nice

Post by Marvin »

From post: 131693, Topic: tid=6644, author=IceCold wrote:Just waiting on the next post you promised us in your original post.
:cool: Okay. Point taken. As it turned out, the Dash-1 wasn't very big compared to others I'd created for different games (Orbiter, Flight Sim 2000 and FSX). Not much in the way of step-by-step procedures. The diagrams and charts were ported over to SeeJay's website and can still be found there.

:cool: What I do have is a partial (draft) Dash-1, formatted for half sheets of 8x10 inch paper. From way back before much of the new stuff (options added to the game by its creator, Vice) ever existed. I suppose I could finish it up ... but I'd rather wait for the expansion pack. Just in case there are any major changes.

:o Also, the Dash-1 would be targeted toward default keystrokes as illustrated on the keyboard printout found in the main game folder.
cravenfear
Ensign
Ensign

Nice

Post by cravenfear »

so i may be jumping ahead of your posts here Marvin but I've finished the quest chain up until your told to go pick up the secret stash near glacia i believe is the name of the planet, only there is no stash at the coordinates whats the deal yo, help me out:)
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Nice

Post by Marvin »

:cool: Make sure you're in the same sector as the specified planet. Then type in the X, Y and Z coordinates (not the sector coordinates) into the Destination Position windows. Then jump (without using the Alt key) and check the Current Positon windows, comparing the X, Y and Z coordinates to make sure you jumped to the correct location. Then, if you're looking for cargo pods, check your radar for a purple blip. But, if you're looking for another beacon, search visually (out the windscreen) for a shiny object.
light487
Ensign
Ensign

Nice

Post by light487 »

Can you tell me how to complete the 2nd mission without pulling my hair out in frustration.. the first mission was simple enough.. worked it out myself.. but this second one, the race, is so frustrating that I am nearing the my wits end and going to either uninstall the game or throw my computer out the window.

Is it essential that I have to beat this guy?? And if so, is there a trick to it? Every time I try to go a bit faster so he doesn't keep ramming me or overtaking me, I end up missing a "ring".. worst 2nd mission in a game, ever.
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Nice

Post by Marvin »

:cool: Try this:
  • Set your throttle to about 900kps.
  • Ignore the Navy pilot flying against you.
  • Concentrate on flying the course.
  • Ignore the Navy pilot ... 'cause he flies slower.
  • Ignore the Navy guy or you will probably fly past the boxes.
Sven2157
Ensign
Ensign

Nice

Post by Sven2157 »

From post: 136000, Topic: tid=6644, author=light487 wrote:Can you tell me how to complete the 2nd mission without pulling my hair out in frustration.. the first mission was simple enough.. worked it out myself.. but this second one, the race, is so frustrating that I am nearing the my wits end and going to either uninstall the game or throw my computer out the window.

Is it essential that I have to beat this guy?? And if so, is there a trick to it? Every time I try to go a bit faster so he doesn't keep ramming me or overtaking me, I end up missing a "ring".. worst 2nd mission in a game, ever.
As stated, s l o w d o w n... That guy you are racing is very slow! Then:

INERTIA, that feeling you are going to fly out the door in a car, when someone turns to fast?!?! Like a hover craft, you have to anticipate turns, and then OVER turn to get the vehicle to start going in the direction you want.

Space is almost the same, with a very big exception: It has 3 different axes of inertia! :o so you have to worry about the momentum of your craft in a Up/Down, Left/Right and Side/Side way.

Main point... Anticipate the turn, and over correct until you start to move the direction you want, then smooth it out...
Regards,

=170= Sven2157
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Nice

Post by Marvin »

:cool: And turn Inertial off (default Space Bar). ;)