Three questions in one! Speed/Distance and rank.

Tips, tactics, and general discussion for Evochron Legacy.
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

From post: 128207, Topic: tid=8712, author=Maarschalk wrote:Oh, yes, I forgot to mention that it is all relative!.....;):P:cool:
:cool: It's definitely relative ... to how far in the future you go. The moon is drifting away from the Earth. Barnard's Star will be on top of us in about 750,000 years. The universe is expanding at an ever-increasing rate. So who knows how big the solar system will be at the time of Evochron Mercenary?
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by DaveK »

From post: 128129, Topic: tid=8712, author=Marvin wrote::o Standing by for somebody to measure how many kilometers from Earth to the sun.
Here's a challenge I used to set to brighter pupils doing science lessons.

If you stand on a hill with a map in your hand on a cloudy day, you often see sun beams streaming through a gap in the clouds forming a triangle with the Sun at the top.
  1. measure the angles the beams hit the ground
  2. use the map to see how far it is between where the two beams hit the ground
  3. use simple trig to calculate the distance to the top of the triangle the beams are making from the Sun
    [/list=1]
    The answer varies a bit but is around 20 miles or around 30 kilometers :)

The challenge - explain what's gone wrong. :P

Another challenge, though a whole "dfferent conversation" (as they say nowadays) . . . what evidence do you have (authority not being allowed) that the Earth isn't flat, or round like a plate, but is spherical(ish) - yeah, it's really an oblate spheroid!

:P

ps - I'm just sorting the 70+ pages of hints and tips Flying Brick has trawled from the forum (an awesome task! - the trawling not the sorting! :P ) and sent me to update the H&T's Guide - as suggested above I'll add this thread to it as well :)
Callsign: Incoming
Life is like a sewer... what you get out of it depends on what you put into it. - Bob Newhart
Hell is being in a pure platinum asteroid field... with a diamond mining beam
ImageImage
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by DaveK »

From post: 128374, Topic: tid=8712, author=Marvin wrote:
From post: 128207, Topic: tid=8712, author=Maarschalk wrote:Oh, yes, I forgot to mention that it is all relative!.....;):P:cool:
:cool: It's definitely relative ... to how far in the future you go. The moon is drifting away from the Earth. Barnard's Star will be on top of us in about 750,000 years. The universe is expanding at an ever-increasing rate. So who knows how big the solar system will be at the time of Evochron Mercenary?
It's a funny thing about spacetime but the spacetime fabric is stretching on scales significantly larger than a galaxy. Hence the the universe is getting bigger and galaxies are getting further apart because the fabric of spacetime is stretching like a rubber sheet - the galaxies are also moving relative to each other on a local scale (ie because they are moving on spacetime sheet) and so occassionally galaxies collide. Within a galaxy the stretching of space time is insignificant and so it is stellar movement that controls how the galaxy evolves . . .I think :P
Life is like a sewer... what you get out of it depends on what you put into it. - Bob Newhart
ImageImage
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

From post: 130112, Topic: tid=8712, author=DaveK wrote:If you stand on a hill with a map in your hand on a cloudy day, you often see sun beams streaming through a gap in the clouds forming a triangle with the Sun at the top.
  3. use simple trig to calculate the distance to the top of the triangle the beams are making from the Sun
    [/list=1]
    The answer varies a bit but is around 20 miles or around 30 kilometers:)
:o Odd. I would've thought the rays of light are actually almost parallel to one another ... and only look to be converging inside the cloud because of the distance (near the vanishing point). That, actually, the beams only converge at the source: the sun. Ergo, the distance between beams would depend on the distance between holes in the clouds.
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Post by Maarschalk »

From post: 130140, Topic: tid=8712, author=Marvin wrote:
From post: 130112, Topic: tid=8712, author=DaveK wrote:If you stand on a hill with a map in your hand on a cloudy day, you often see sun beams streaming through a gap in the clouds forming a triangle with the Sun at the top.
    [/list=1]
    The answer varies a bit but is around 20 miles or around 30 kilometers:)
:o Odd. I would've thought the rays of light are actually almost parallel to one another ... and only look to be converging inside the cloud because of the distance (near the vanishing point). That, actually, the beams only converge at the source: the sun. Ergo, the distance between beams would depend on the distance between holes in the clouds.
1. If all the Sun Rays were parrallel to each other then the sun would only shine in one direction!.

2. And the calculation used in the sun beam through the clouds can only be used to calculate the aproximate relative distance from surface to surface which then could be used for Center to Center!.....;):cool:
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

Evochron Mercenary Stats:

Darkness is the absence of Light as Evil is the absence of Good
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

From post: 130190, Topic: tid=8712, author=Maarschalk wrote:1. If all the Sun Rays were parrallel to each other then the sun would only shine in one direction!.
:cool: Almost parallel. Relatively speaking ... the distance between two holes in a cloud, compared to the 93 million miles between sun and Earth ... makes for almost parallel sun rays. Especially rays which shine so close together. Relatively speaking.
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Post by Maarschalk »

Now I relatively wished I never relatively started with the whole relativity thing! Makes everything so relatively confusing!....;):P:P:P:P:P
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

:cool: Hee, hee. ;)
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by DaveK »

From post: 130201, Topic: tid=8712, author=Marvin wrote: the distance between two holes in a cloud
Actually, one hole in a cloud - back to your court :P
ImageImage
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

:o What's this? A cloud spectrometer?
Shidoshi
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Shidoshi »

From post: 130112, Topic: tid=8712, author=DaveK wrote:
From post: 128129, Topic: tid=8712, author=Marvin wrote::o Standing by for somebody to measure how many kilometers from Earth to the sun.
Here's a challenge I used to set to brighter pupils doing science lessons.

If you stand on a hill with a map in your hand on a cloudy day, you often see sun beams streaming through a gap in the clouds forming a triangle with the Sun at the top.
    [/list=1]
    The answer varies a bit but is around 20 miles or around 30 kilometers :)

The challenge - explain what's gone wrong. :P

Another challenge, though a whole "dfferent conversation" (as they say nowadays) . . . what evidence do you have (authority not being allowed) that the Earth isn't flat, or round like a plate, but is spherical(ish) - yeah, it's really an oblate spheroid!

:P

ps - I'm just sorting the 70+ pages of hints and tips Flying Brick has trawled from the forum (an awesome task! - the trawling not the sorting! :P ) and sent me to update the H&T's Guide - as suggested above I'll add this thread to it as well :)

This has been a discussion topic for thousands of years. We'll never know who figured it out first but I want to assume the Mayans and Egyptians both figured out the earth was round just by looking at the shadow the earth cast on the moon. Waxing or waning, when not full or new, the earths shadow is curved not a line or a flat edge. Hence if you put an orange's shadow on a watermelon and move it around 'relative' to your light source you can see the curve.

What's more important, how do you figure out if the moon is round or flat? lol.
Shidoshi
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Shidoshi »

Uggh, sorry! Firefox froze and I force closed it. When I reopened it automatically loads the last page, and resent the data. How do I delete a post? I'm fairly new to all this. :-(
SeeJay
Captain
Captain

Post by SeeJay »

Hi Shidoshi.

Click on Edit post and in there you have a "Delete Message" tick box.

[Edited on 2012-2-13 by SeeJay]
\"Nothing is impossible, it only takes a bit longer!\"
\"We are not retreating, we are advancing in another direction!\"

http://evochron.junholt.se (Old)
http://www.evochron2.junholt.se (New)
http://mercenary.junholt.se (Map)
http://www.junholt.se/evoschool/index.htm (No spoilers)
-8- Bzzzzzzzzz! -8- -8-
-splosives-
Captain
Captain

Post by -splosives- »

2000 km in 1 sector does sound awfully little, since the perimeter of earth is 40 000km, and the diameter about 12000 I think. earth should take up about 30 sectors or something.

[Edited on 2-14-2012 by -splosives-]
SplosivesCorp: Bringing people closer to destruction.
EN4CER
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by EN4CER »

Which military are you ranking up with?
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Post by Maarschalk »

From post: 148451, Topic: tid=8712, author=EN4CER wrote:Which military are you ranking up with?

????????????????????????
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

EN4CER
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by EN4CER »

I think it's the federation military since it's the federation that is fighting Vonari. Since there are two military factions (NAVY Federation) you can only be gaining ranks from one of them (in character) when you're doing military missions.
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Post by Maarschalk »

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????

These question marks are indicating what does this rank bussiness has to do with Speed and Distance?
Ah, I see, you are refering to the third part of the threads topic which is out of context of the last few posts discussion!

I think it does not matter in the War zones, since the Vonari is the common enemy so the Federation and Alliance are united in their battle against the Vonari.
So your military rank is for both regardless of in who's territory the War zone is you doing contracts in. Some War zones are in Federation territory and some are in Alliance territory!.....;):cool:
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

EN4CER
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by EN4CER »

I used the search function to find this thread. The subject is

"Three questions in one! Speed/Distance and rank."

Vice replied with a lot of information regarding ranks. This seemed a good place to ask another question that pertains to rank.
Enigma
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Enigma »

Is that for IG ? or RL ?

For IG i cannot answhere.

For RL :

First i wish to explain another Thing, it goes like this :
a.) Meter->Dacameter->Hectometer->Kilometer-> ... LightYear ... perhaps other, i dont know at the Moment.
b.) Meter->Decimeter->Centimeter->Millimeter->Nanometer-> ... Quark ... String ... perhaps other, i dont know at the Moment.

To get the RL aproximative distance from the surface of the sun to the surface of the earth :
- you know that a light_particle Needs ~8min. (Minutes) to reach the Earth.
- you know that the Speed of light is ~300,000 Km./s (Kilometer per second).
- so at the end it Looks like so (aproximatively):
~300,000*60*8 Km.
If you want to get from Center to Center, you have to add ~+6,500Km (Radius of Earth) and +X (where X=radius of the sun).

You can get allmoust all distances between two Points, while you know the light_speed and the time to get there, from your Point.
For example :
Alpha Centauri (the nearest sun_system to ours) is about 4 light_years away from our solar System.
So it will be like this (aproximately) :
~300,000*60*60*24*365*4 Km.

Please correct me if i fail somewhere.
Please excuse my School_english.
Hope it was understandable.
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

From post: 172095, Topic: tid=8712, author=Enigma wrote:
Is that for IG ? or RL ?
I forget ... it was a long time ago. Relatively speaking.
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by DaveK »

The distance from the Earth to the Sun varies because the Earth's orbit is elliptical, but so near to a circle it's not really an issue for what I think you're asking. The earth Sun distance is called an astronomical unit (AU) which is used to measure distances throughout the solar system. The AU has been defined as 149,597,870,700 meters (92,955,807 miles).

:)
ImageImage
Enigma
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Enigma »

From post: 172104, Topic: tid=8712, author=DaveK wrote:The distance from the Earth to the Sun varies because the Earth's orbit is elliptical, but so near to a circle it's not really an issue for what I think you're asking. The earth Sun distance is called an astronomical unit (AU) which is used to measure distances throughout the solar system. The AU has been defined as 149,597,870,700 meters (92,955,807 miles).

Thats true, the earth moves on an ecliptical circle with (if i remember right, learned it about 30+ years ago) ~100,000 Km/h (Kilometer per hour).
And the sun also moves in a circle.
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by DaveK »

The two actually orbit around a common gravitational centre. The Sun is so massive (in the proper sense of having a far greater mass) than the Earth so the Sun does more of a wobble on the spot since the centre of gravity of the pair (Sun and Earth) is close to the centre of the Sun! From the outside the Earth appears to orbit a 'stationary' Sun.

However . . .

The Sun is orbiting the Galaxy (it's done a fair few since the Galaxy formed) and on top of that the Galaxy is moving through the Universe.

But . . .

The movements of the Galaxy through the Universe is separate from the movement of the Galaxy 'outwards' due to the expansion of the space-time of the Universe :P

Cosmology is a wonderful thing to study!! ;)

ImageImage
Enigma
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Enigma »

From post: 172135, Topic: tid=8712, author=DaveK wrote: Cosmology is a wonderful thing to study!! ;)
Oh yeah.

To understand it a bit, it includes to have a lot of knoledges of so many other things ...
knoledge in :
- mathematics (arithmetic, geometric, higher_math, etc)
- physics
- chemistry
- history
- and other

Ist not for everyones brain :P

[Edited on 7-29-2014 by Enigma]