(EM) 4k Asteroid Texture

Custom mods, stories, and artwork based on the Evochron / Arvoch universe.
Vyperhate
Ensign
Ensign

(EM) 4k Asteroid Texture

Post by Vyperhate »

I made an earlier attempt at this and decided, you know what? I can do better. So I upped my asteroid texture to 4k.

I did not make this texture. I made the normal and specular maps and converted for use in EM.

For now this is only for stony asteroids, I may do others later. I do not believe I can fix the texture stretching where the texture comes to a point, I think it's a limitation of the model. If not I'd love for someone to direct me on how to fix it.

http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/5894/asteroids.jpg

Get it here:
http://www.filesonic.com/file/tbm2mm9

If you are having crashing issues after installing this texture then I recommend trying out the solution posted by Valor below. Otherwise you can delete the normal and specular map files to force the game to use the default maps. However this will change the look of the textures a bit so I recommend trying Valor's fix.

[Edited on 1-21-2012 by Vyperhate]
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

(EM) 4k Asteroid Texture

Post by Maarschalk »

Hi Vyperhate, welcome to the game and forum....Nicely done and thanks for sharing.
As for the problem your friend is having it could be that the mods are taxing his Graphics card and/or memmory to much!
Evochron Mercenary is a Graphicscard and memmory taxing game so the more complicated highdefinition mods the more problems some low graphics card and low memmory systems will have!....;):cool:

Thanks for sharing the astroid mods, they look great!....;):cool:
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

Evochron Mercenary Stats:

Darkness is the absence of Light as Evil is the absence of Good
Vyperhate
Ensign
Ensign

(EM) 4k Asteroid Texture

Post by Vyperhate »

From post: 124513, Topic: tid=8406, author=Maarschalk wrote: As for the problem your friend is having it could be that the mods are taxing his Graphics card and/or memmory to much!
Evochron Mercenary is a Graphicscard and memmory taxing game so the more complicated highdefinition mods the more problems some low graphics card and low memmory systems will have!....;):cool:
This is my assumption as well. For now the best workaround for people that have this issue is to delete the custom specular map (aster1shader.dds) and possibly the normal map as well (aster1normal.dds) if just the specular map doesn't resolve the issue. This will cause the game to use the default specular and normal map. This does however completely change the look of the asteroids, so it's up to the use whether it is worth it or not.
Viper
Captain
Captain

(EM) 4k Asteroid Texture

Post by Viper »

Nice work on the textures Vyperhate, looks pretty realistic! I do think though that a 4k texture will be a bit too much to render for some players their computers, especially since asteroids never come as one but always in pretty large groups. That's a lot of rendering.

The stretching I think could be caused by the way the textures are mapped onto the objects. I'm pretty sure I've noticed the standard textures doing the same thing. I guess you could work around it and darken the edges of the textures a bit so the stretched parts will look like scorch marks, but only trial & error will tell you how that looks for real.

[Edited on 1-20-2012 by Viper]
\"For he today who sheds his blood with me, shall be my brother\"
Valor
Ensign
Ensign

(EM) 4k Asteroid Texture

Post by Valor »

I think I fixed the problem with the crashing. I used this tool here: http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=41423 to recompress the files. The normal and specular maps dropped size considerably (90MBish to 10 and 20 respectively).

I haven't encountered any problems when loading after doing this, whereas before it became impossible for me. Comparing the screenshot you posted I don't think any quality has been lost from what I've seen in-game either.

Here is a link to the recompressed files if you want to have a look: http://www.box.com/s/ghu1d5x2v3bqmz3a67jn
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

(EM) 4k Asteroid Texture

Post by Marvin »

:cool: Before I JSGME this mod, I need to ask: does it include a new version of the texture when the asteroid is heating up?
Raynor
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

(EM) 4k Asteroid Texture

Post by Raynor »

Nice. I'm looking forward to trying it later. Last night i was still playing EM vanilla and then within 30 mins on this modding board i had high res capital ships, improved nebulaes, improved civilian ships textures, improved planetary rings, a new cockpit and hud, new cities, bloom effect and now asteroids. Keep up the good work everyone!
Vyperhate
Ensign
Ensign

(EM) 4k Asteroid Texture

Post by Vyperhate »

@Valor: Thanks, I'll have him give that a try. I've taken a look at both the compressed versions and the uncompressed versions in Photoshop and GIMP. There doesn't seem to be any real difference in quality. Good find, I'll have to remember that program for future projects.

@Marvin: As of now, no, this still uses the default emissive map. However it looks fine IMO. Even so I am considering making a new emissive map.

Malix
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

(EM) 4k Asteroid Texture

Post by Malix »

From post: 124657, Topic: tid=8406, author=Valor wrote: Here is a link to the recompressed files if you want to have a look: http://www.box.com/s/ghu1d5x2v3bqmz3a67jn
These are splendid, thank you, kind sir. These are just what the spacedoctor ordered.

[Edited on 1-21-2012 by Malix]
Evochron Mercenaries rank: newbie
Valor
Ensign
Ensign

(EM) 4k Asteroid Texture

Post by Valor »

From post: 124797, Topic: tid=8406, author=Vyperhate wrote:@Valor: Thanks, I'll have him give that a try. I've taken a look at both the compressed versions and the uncompressed versions in Photoshop and GIMP. There doesn't seem to be any real difference in quality. Good find, I'll have to remember that program for future projects.
No problem. :)

I hope those future projects include more high-res textures for EM, because these are awesome!
Vyperhate
Ensign
Ensign

(EM) 4k Asteroid Texture

Post by Vyperhate »

No problem. :) I hope those future projects include more high-res textures for EM, because these are awesome!
I would like to make more 4k textures, however I believe most of the ones I would really like to do (such as planet textures) are hard coded and since I'm into graphics design and not coding there isn't much I can do.

Currently there are a couple of things I'm working on that you can hopefully keep an eye out for in the future:

Planetary Haze Textures
New Emissive Map for Asteroids
Engine Exhaust Textures
Asteroid Cave Textures
Ice and Metal Asteroid Textures

Rakshasas
Ensign
Ensign

(EM) 4k Asteroid Texture

Post by Rakshasas »

I was looking to download this file, but filesonic seems to have changed their policies, and only the person who uploaded it can download it:

All sharing functionality on FileSonic is now disabled. Our service can only be used to upload and retrieve files that you have uploaded personally.

If this file belongs to you, please login to download it directly from your file manager.
Viper
Captain
Captain

(EM) 4k Asteroid Texture

Post by Viper »

They probably got scared of what happened to MegaUpload and PirateBay. Long live the free internet! :(
\"For he today who sheds his blood with me, shall be my brother\"
SeeJay
Captain
Captain

(EM) 4k Asteroid Texture

Post by SeeJay »

The link to download isn't working anymore!

Any chance to host it somewhere else so I can download?

Or, you could email the mod and I'll host it on my site if you want.
\"Nothing is impossible, it only takes a bit longer!\"
\"We are not retreating, we are advancing in another direction!\"

http://evochron.junholt.se (Old)
http://www.evochron2.junholt.se (New)
http://mercenary.junholt.se (Map)
http://www.junholt.se/evoschool/index.htm (No spoilers)
-8- Bzzzzzzzzz! -8- -8-
ijon
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

(EM) 4k Asteroid Texture

Post by ijon »

hi guys.

if people are still interested:
the asteroids texture distortion is caused by the fact that a sphere has been used as basemesh. those have one problem: the poles. the mesh is always leading from one last row of triangles to one vertex. so X faces meeting at one point.
(thus you use quad meshes in high detail visualizations and rather attempt to turn a box into a sphere than using a sphere mesh, because its basically impossible to unwrap.)

it can be countered by counter distortions rather than trixing with colors. if you are interested in that stuff:
http://paulbourke.net/texture_colour/texturemap/
there is one paragraph dealing with that problem in a very comprehensible way.
all you have to figure out is: which side of your texture leads to the poles of the roids. (i guess the final form is caused by a generic noise. if it wouldn't be simple uvw sphere coordinates, custom textures would look even worse.) then get to work.

pretty much in the middle, btw.
will i ever manage to post without editing?

[Edited on 2-28-2012 by ijon]