Evochron Chat Mod

Custom mods, stories, and artwork based on the Evochron / Arvoch universe.
Kronous
Ensign
Ensign

Evochron Chat Mod

Post by Kronous »

So i have seen a lot of people ask why the chat screen is all out twords the center of the screen and why the text is white.
Using the mod tools provided on the site I modified the games chat box so that the user messages are red, system are white, and the box is moved slightly.

Currently i cant move the box all the way to the left like i had hoped but i am still working on it. Unfortunately i think there is a limit hard coded into the game of how far over you can move the chat box.
At the moment the mod is only in red but i will take requests for any colors.

Here are some screen shots.
http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/65100 ... C13A26E33/
-
http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/65100 ... 8EE7FC9C0/

and the download link:
Download the red text mod.
Download the blue text mod.

Install:
Download the above file.
Unzip it
Add the "HUD" folder to your game directory
Bam your all good.
start up the game and enjoy.

[Edited on 1-19-2012 by Kronous]
49rTbird
Captain
Captain

Evochron Chat Mod

Post by 49rTbird »

I did this to mine awhile back as it helps identify some chat. The system still puts some messages other than chat in red on mine though.:)
Explore! Explore! Explore! \"There is no going back (Yet) so Make Today Count!
Kronous
Ensign
Ensign

Evochron Chat Mod

Post by Kronous »

There is a way to change the system chat color as well. i just left it white because white contrasts the red i used nicely.

Edit: i see what you mean. I am testing a fix right now.
ok so i added the hudtext.dat and it changes the actual system messages to white. Join/Leave Dock/Undock ect.

Server text is still red however.

[Edited on 1-19-2012 by Kronous]
MiaZ
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Evochron Chat Mod

Post by MiaZ »

thanks .. : )
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Evochron Chat Mod

Post by DaveK »

Thanks for this - with many many players on it's like the tower of babel sometimes! Anything that makes it a bit clearer has got to be good! :D
Callsign: Incoming
Life is like a sewer... what you get out of it depends on what you put into it. - Bob Newhart
Hell is being in a pure platinum asteroid field... with a diamond mining beam
ImageImage
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Evochron Chat Mod

Post by DaveK »

Red it has got to be! - blue on a black background is . . . . invisible. Red is great though!

Thanks you :)

I assume lines 4 and 5 are the position

- what are lines 1, 2 and 3. I can't find any reference to chattext in the customising kit! :)

duh! Sorry - a bit slow!! R G B values! :P

[Edited on 19-1-2012 by DaveK]
Callsign: Incoming
Life is like a sewer... what you get out of it depends on what you put into it. - Bob Newhart
Hell is being in a pure platinum asteroid field... with a diamond mining beam
ImageImage
Marius
Ensign
Ensign

Evochron Chat Mod

Post by Marius »

From post: 124386, Topic: tid=8369, author=DaveK wrote:Red it has got to be! - blue on a black background is . . . . invisible. Red is great though!

Thanks you :)

I assume lines 4 and 5 are the position

- what are lines 1, 2 and 3. I can't find any reference to chattext in the customising kit! :)

duh! Sorry - a bit slow!! R G B values! :P

[Edited on 19-1-2012 by DaveK]
Yeah and from what i did no matter what you do you cannot change the position of the text to be out of the way. You can only mover it further right or down.
MiaZ
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Evochron Chat Mod

Post by MiaZ »

From post: 124386, Topic: tid=8369, author=DaveK wrote:Red it has got to be! - blue on a black background is . . . . invisible.
LOL That was my fault. :)

On Kronous server down near the surface of a planet where it was all white and misty, blue just sprang into my mind at the time.
Kronous was there and put up the blue one for me.

I think its safe to take the blue one down now. It doesn't work at all out in space..
mikeuk
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Evochron Chat Mod

Post by mikeuk »

Thanks Kronous going to try it now, with so many pilots now it needs somthing doing to the chat text, I always wanted a floating window for it but I dont think it can be done.

Cheers Mike;)

Thanks Kronous works fine big help;)

[Edited on 1-20-2012 by mikeuk]
MrJake
Ensign
Ensign

Evochron Chat Mod

Post by MrJake »

would it be possible for chat mod to have the option to actually write more then one line per post. Because trying to chat in little sentences is hard and not everyone I play with has voice chat. Well they have voice chat but are to lazy to get a mic.

So does that already exist and can we make the font smaller worst case to make a little more fit on a single line.

Thanks
Marius
Ensign
Ensign

Evochron Chat Mod

Post by Marius »

Well from what i can see with out actually getting into the game and modifying its source code that is not possible. ad i have no clue what the hell i would even need to do to modify the chat code anyway. SO for right now the color and position of the window are the only things that are changable i think. Sorry :(
Kronous
Ensign
Ensign

Evochron Chat Mod

Post by Kronous »

I also have to admit that when i OP i posted this in the wrong forum. If any mod would drop this in the mods forum that would be fine with me. Sorry.
BvP
Ensign
Ensign

Evochron Chat Mod

Post by BvP »

Thanks, it works great for me.
Viper
Captain
Captain

Evochron Chat Mod

Post by Viper »

I've been fooling around with Maximillien's Blue one and the one posted on this thread and trying to adjust it to my liking. At first they worked great, and only the chat text was colored. But then all the sudden I noticed that all the text turned blue, including system notifications, not just the player chat. I tried putting back Max's default one, and also Kronous' one, but it didn't seem to work anymore. Only thing that worked was removing the entire chattext.dat file.

Any ideas how this is possible, or how to work around it?
\"For he today who sheds his blood with me, shall be my brother\"
Viper
Captain
Captain

Evochron Chat Mod

Post by Viper »

Here's an example:

As you can see, the player chat text is in blue, as it should be. The <Avionics switched to space mode> part is in white, which is also the way it should be.

But, the <SoulBlazer completed contract (16) in sector 1249,0,502> part is also in blue. Although player related, it is still a console message.
The server welcome message is still in blue, too.

I would like to have those in white as well. Any ideas if this is possible?

[Edited on 2-3-2012 by Viper]
Viper
Captain
Captain

Evochron Chat Mod

Post by Viper »

Actually I made my own modification from scratch (not hard, just a text file with some values for RGB color and positioning). My mod does resemble Max's though, but has less saturation and a bit more brightness.
Actually, all of the color text mods available have this very same issue. I'm suspecting this to be due to the player console messages being hardcoded to use the same color as the player chat text.
MiaZ
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Evochron Chat Mod

Post by MiaZ »

OH. sorry.. and I deleted my post here when i realized it was wrong before i notice your reply to my reply. : (

[Edited on 2-3-2012 by MiaZ]
EN4CER
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Evochron Chat Mod

Post by EN4CER »

Does anyone know if there's a way to remove messages or keep them from being printed to the console? I'm already using this mod but I still rarely have enough time to read actual player chat because there's too much useless information flying around the window.