Starport City (EM)

Custom mods, stories, and artwork based on the Evochron / Arvoch universe.
Busch
Captain
Captain

Starport City (EM)

Post by Busch »

The "Cities In Space" theme seems to be a "minor" glitch, and this one displayed by Malix is not the only location where they can be found. Think it comes from having moved the planets that these cities were on, and/or the compiling function performed by the DBPro software when Legends became Mercenary. Another possible "fix" for Vice to craft? ;)
Commander
[SW] Clan Squadron Lead - Retired
Call Sign: Busch
Malix
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Starport City (EM)

Post by Malix »

hehe, yea. definately nothing major. I was just so getting my hopes up for a derelict space station or something (aka. loot worthy).

anyway, this mod makes the cities SO much more better looking. definately a keeper even though some ghost cities (IN SPAAAAAAAAAACE) may appear.
Evochron Mercenaries rank: newbie
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Starport City (EM)

Post by DaveK »

Yes - I hope that they are left alone - they'll be worth finding just for the pleasure of seeing them!! :D
Callsign: Incoming
Life is like a sewer... what you get out of it depends on what you put into it. - Bob Newhart
Hell is being in a pure platinum asteroid field... with a diamond mining beam
ImageImage
EN4CER
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Starport City (EM)

Post by EN4CER »

I saw mention of using the base city for some planets and then the modded one for others. Does anyone have a filename list that would achieve this without me having to dig through posts and readmes?
EN4CER
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Starport City (EM)

Post by EN4CER »

Removed mod for the same reason as Busch; Jump gate lag that has never been there before and is resolved by removing the mod.
MaxiM
Ensign
Ensign

Starport City (EM)

Post by MaxiM »

I guess this mod is long outdated and should probably be removed from the sticky. Right now the city behaves like that:

http://i.imgur.com/hfi2fK8.jpg
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
~George Bernard Shaw
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Starport City (EM)

Post by Vice »

It's not stickied, just gets bumped with new replies. That mod still technically works, anyone using it just needs to rotate the model back 90 degrees so that it returns to a correct orientation.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
MaxiM
Ensign
Ensign

Starport City (EM)

Post by MaxiM »

I guess I can use blender for that? And by "sticky" I mean the one in Newbie section of the forum - 1st thread.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
~George Bernard Shaw
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Starport City (EM)

Post by Vice »

If Blender (or a plugin for it) properly supports the DirectX model format yet, yes, it should easily be able to rotate an object to a new orientation.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Starport City (EM)

Post by Marvin »

From post: 164092, Topic: tid=8065, author=MaxiM wrote:And by "sticky" I mean the one in Newbie section of the forum - 1st thread.
Viper's "Table of Contents" is stickied. Which specific link, among those listed, are you talking about?
MaxiM
Ensign
Ensign

Starport City (EM)

Post by MaxiM »

Planet environment:
Starport City mod, by Leatherpoker
Flora mod (Realistic HD surface vegetation, several versions), by warsign
This part of the list leads to two incompatible mods - the starport city and flora. For a newbie like me it means "hey look, here's something you might enjoy" while in reality, those mods don't work as intended anymore and caused me quite a bit of confusion ;)
From post: 164093, Topic: tid=8065, author=Vice wrote: If Blender (or a plugin for it) properly supports the DirectX model format yet, yes, it should easily be able to rotate an object to a new orientation.
Cool, hopefully it will work. Never used Blender before, but I've got some above average knowledge of 3D modeling programs (well, 3DSMax mainly), so this should be easy enough.

[Edited on 9-1-2013 by MaxiM]
~George Bernard Shaw
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Starport City (EM)

Post by Marvin »

Your confusion is probably due to the fact that the Evoverse has had a number of incarnations. But not all mods work with every incarnation. When warsign created his tree mod, planets were much smaller. As planets increased in size, warsign's trees were swallowed up. As for the cities, they were originally aligned along one specific latitude. The expansion made it possible for cities to be located just about anywhere on a planet's surface ... requiring an additional axis of alignment to keep them upright (relatively speaking).
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Starport City (EM)

Post by DaveK »

To go back to the original comment - given that using the city mod requires the use of 3D software and presumably won't work for every city on every planet, should the mod be removed from the Resources thread?

:)
Callsign: Incoming
Life is like a sewer... what you get out of it depends on what you put into it. - Bob Newhart
Hell is being in a pure platinum asteroid field... with a diamond mining beam
ImageImage
Busch
Captain
Captain

Starport City (EM)

Post by Busch »

Maybe posting a caution about its employment, if used at all ? Leatherpoker has done some excellent work for the community, with this mod and the others he's put up. Hate to see them go the way of the dinosaur.... :( But, if its broke and not easily/simply fixable....... :(
Commander
[SW] Clan Squadron Lead - Retired
Call Sign: Busch