Starport City (EM)

Custom mods, stories, and artwork based on the Evochron / Arvoch universe.
Leatherpoker
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Starport City (EM)

Post by Leatherpoker »

Hey everybody,

I'm back to enjoying EM after a bit of a hiatus (due to "real life"). I've put together a mod that replaces the cities on planets. It is designed to be a starport city, with a primary landing pad high above the city buildings. As always, feedback is encouraged!

You can download the file here:
http://www.box.net/shared/fs337tju0863n18rgrjt

Thanks!
LP

Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Starport City (EM)

Post by Marvin »

:cool: Too cool. I forget: can we use different city files for different planets?
SeeJay
Captain
Captain

Starport City (EM)

Post by SeeJay »

LOL, really cool stuff!
\"Nothing is impossible, it only takes a bit longer!\"
\"We are not retreating, we are advancing in another direction!\"

http://evochron.junholt.se (Old)
http://www.evochron2.junholt.se (New)
http://mercenary.junholt.se (Map)
http://www.junholt.se/evoschool/index.htm (No spoilers)
-8- Bzzzzzzzzz! -8- -8-
Busch
Captain
Captain

Starport City (EM)

Post by Busch »

Wow!
Commander
[SW] Clan Squadron Lead - Retired
Call Sign: Busch
mikeuk
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Starport City (EM)

Post by mikeuk »

Thanks fantastic work.

Can you make me a key and a gate so it can land on Earth only joking ;)

How do you install your mod?

Thanks

[Edited on 10-21-2011 by mikeuk]
Leatherpoker
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Starport City (EM)

Post by Leatherpoker »

@Marvin: I seem to remember that there was some way to assign a certain city model to a given planet, but I can't find it in the customization kit readme. Maybe it was in a forum post somewhere...

@mikeuk: To install the city mod, just copy the "environments" folder into your EM install directory. Or just drop the city.x file into the "environments" folder if you already have that folder from another mod.

Enjoy.
LP
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Starport City (EM)

Post by Maarschalk »

Way Cool Leatherpoker!, thanks for sharing......;):cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

Evochron Mercenary Stats:

Darkness is the absence of Light as Evil is the absence of Good
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Starport City (EM)

Post by Marvin »

:cool: If this is the finished product, I'll download it now and use it in a later mod ... when I get time. Thanks.
Viper
Captain
Captain

Starport City (EM)

Post by Viper »

That looks awesome Leatherpoker, thanks for sharing!

Question: since the landing platform is higher than usual, does everything work the way it's supposed to as in for example the red/green guiding boxes?

~ Viper.
\"For he today who sheds his blood with me, shall be my brother\"
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Starport City (EM)

Post by Maarschalk »

From post: 117500, Topic: tid=8065, author=Leatherpoker wrote:@Marvin: I seem to remember that there was some way to assign a certain city model to a given planet, but I can't find it in the customization kit readme. Maybe it was in a forum post somewhere..
LP
There seems to be twelve CityX.x files in the Game where X=1-12, to change the City for a Specific planet I think you have to know which of the 12 coresponds to which planet and that would change all the cities on those coresponding planets which have the same City number assigned to them.

Quote from the Customizing kit:

"To replace the city objects in the game, use the \\environment folder and the following filename:

cityX.x = City object (X range = 1-12)"

In EL it was CityPlanetName.x to assign to a specific planet. In EM i'm not sure how it works....

;):cool:

[Edited on 10-21-2011 by Maarschalk]
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

Leatherpoker
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Starport City (EM)

Post by Leatherpoker »

From post: 117527, Topic: tid=8065, author=Viper wrote: Question: since the landing platform is higher than usual, does everything work the way it's supposed to as in for example the red/green guiding boxes?
The guiding boxes should still work the same. The landing pad location and height is actually in the exact same position as in the default city, the other buildings are just much smaller.

LP
Leatherpoker
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Starport City (EM)

Post by Leatherpoker »

From post: 117529, Topic: tid=8065, author=Maarschalk wrote: There seems to be twelve CityX.x files in the Game where X=1-12, to change the City for a Specific planet I think you have to know which of the 12 coresponds to which planet and that would change all the cities on those coresponding planets which have the same City number assigned to them.
Great, thanks! If anyone wants to edit this city to make more for variety for different planets, go for it- that would be awesome.

LP
zuff
Ensign
Ensign

Starport City (EM)

Post by zuff »

Wow amazing! How will this work in multiplayer?

Think you could share your source files, too?

Good job!
Busch
Captain
Captain

Starport City (EM)

Post by Busch »

I think that Maars is on it. I've tested the StarPort mod. While installed, the game ctd'd twice w/ run-time errors of failure to load 3D object at line 6718. After once rebooting/reloading the game, I experienced extreme lag in warp jumps, using the gates between systems. Full-on white-out for a significant space of time I'm not inured to. I was then able to land on Pearl HP. The view of the City/Star Port from the down-wind leg, is spectacular! Excellent art and use of like-item city-scape crafting. I have since, removed the mod, and returned to "normal" game starports. Unfortunately, I'm not skilled enough to go in and rename each planet's starport in order to accommodate the mod. But, it sure looks kewl! Thanks, L-P! :D :cool::cool:
Commander
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Starport City (EM)

Post by Marvin »

:o Busch, did you fix or otherwise get rid of the lag?
MMaggio
Captain
Captain

Starport City (EM)

Post by MMaggio »

From post: 117550, Topic: tid=8065, author=zuff wrote:Wow amazing! How will this work in multiplayer?

Think you could share your source files, too?

Good job!
As with any mod used in MP, it will only appear to the one player with the mod. To all others, everything will appear as normal.
\"To kill hubris with humility is a goal rarely achieved by men\"
Sparrowjuice
Ensign
Ensign

Starport City (EM)

Post by Sparrowjuice »

Looks awsome! I'll have some of that. :):):):):cool:
Leatherpoker
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Starport City (EM)

Post by Leatherpoker »

From post: 117577, Topic: tid=8065, author=FADM Busch wrote:While installed, the game ctd'd twice w/ run-time errors of failure to load 3D object at line 6718.
Hi Busch,

I haven't seen that error while using the new city model on my machine. You could be running out of memory, since the model is more complex than the default model. Has anyone else experienced a similar error with it?

LP
Busch
Captain
Captain

Starport City (EM)

Post by Busch »

Marv, the "warp" lag went away when I removed the star port file.

L-P, I've got 16 gigs of resident/physical memory, and Win7 HmPrem 64-bit installed on my beast. It does not appear to be a memory-lacking, or memory assignment issue, as I don't have much of anything running in the background whilst in-game. Is it possible that the city/star port mod is being used by the game software to attempt creating star ports on each of the planets in each of the systems one enters? (Ref: Maars' post)
Commander
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Starport City (EM)

Post by Maarschalk »

It might also be that the City Mod was made on an Windows XP Machine?...... I have not tried the Mod yet!

I noticed that when I copy files from my Windows XP boot to My Windows 7 boot I get these errors some times....;)

[Edited on 10-22-2011 by Maarschalk]
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Starport City (EM)

Post by DaveK »

Hi

The mod looks very cool.I installed it and loaded with no probs, flew to Sapphire and landed with no probs. I'm using W7 64bit Home.

It's a pity you can't fly between the towers - an anti grav field type effect kept bouncing me out. The second thing is that you land a great distance above the city station! This is a screenshot I took looking down from where the docking beam is holding me!

However, trading etc still works fine.

Thanks for creating and sharing this!! :) :)

[Edited on 22-10-2011 by DaveK]

Callsign: Incoming
Life is like a sewer... what you get out of it depends on what you put into it. - Bob Newhart
Hell is being in a pure platinum asteroid field... with a diamond mining beam
ImageImage
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Starport City (EM)

Post by DaveK »

From post: 117529, Topic: tid=8065, author=Maarschalk wrote:
From post: 117500, Topic: tid=8065, author=Leatherpoker wrote:@Marvin: I seem to remember that there was some way to assign a certain city model to a given planet, but I can't find it in the customization kit readme. Maybe it was in a forum post somewhere..
LP
There seems to be twelve CityX.x files in the Game where X=1-12, to change the City for a Specific planet I think you have to know which of the 12 coresponds to which planet and that would change all the cities on those coresponding planets which have the same City number assigned to them.

Quote from the Customizing kit:

"To replace the city objects in the game, use the \\environment folder and the following filename:

cityX.x = City object (X range = 1-12)"

In EL it was CityPlanetName.x to assign to a specific planet. In EM i'm not sure how it works....

;):cool:

When the nebulae mod came out the nebulae numbers corresponded to systems - I wonder if the cities would be assigned to every planet in a particular system - a sort of system architectural style. If so a different style for each system would be cool! :)

Callsign: Incoming
Life is like a sewer... what you get out of it depends on what you put into it. - Bob Newhart
Hell is being in a pure platinum asteroid field... with a diamond mining beam
ImageImage
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Starport City (EM)

Post by Maarschalk »

I just experimented with the downloaded mod in Windows 7 Professional 64 bit. No problems or error messages.

But to assign the City mod to a specific planet in EM it is the same as per the instructions of the customizing kit for EL.

I assigned the City.x to the Planet New Hope only by naming the file CityNew Hope.x with a Profile docked at a city on New Hope. Entered the Game and the Mod was there. Then flew to the Planet Erato and the Cities on Erato where not changed and where still the original......;):cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

[Edited on 10-22-2011 by Maarschalk]
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

Leatherpoker
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Starport City (EM)

Post by Leatherpoker »

From post: 117618, Topic: tid=8065, author=FADM Busch wrote:L-P, I've got 16 gigs of resident/physical memory, and Win7 HmPrem 64-bit installed on my beast. It does not appear to be a memory-lacking, or memory assignment issue, as I don't have much of anything running in the background whilst in-game.(Ref: Maars' post)
Hmm...probably not a memory issue then. I have 8GB of memory with Win7 64-bit and it seems ok for me. EM probably is replacing every city model with the new one in each system, so that might slow it down a bit, but I see no slow down on my machine. What version of EM are you using?

LP
Leatherpoker
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Starport City (EM)

Post by Leatherpoker »

From post: 117624, Topic: tid=8065, author=DaveK wrote:It's a pity you can't fly between the towers - an anti grav field type effect kept bouncing me out. The second thing is that you land a great distance above the city station!
Yeah, the anti-collision shield is coded into EM for city objects (and stations), so I can't change that. It would be cool to fly between the buildings though!

The landing position is also coded into EM to be above the flashing light. I wanted the light to be on the landing pad (and not below and inside it, so you can still see it).

LP