Effects and backgrounds mod (EM)

Custom mods, stories, and artwork based on the Evochron / Arvoch universe.
groenelampkap
Ensign
Ensign

Post by groenelampkap »

Hey everybody,

I would like to share with you how I modded Evochron Mercenary.
I'm using a HDR mod from the awesome game of mount and blade. I adjusted it so I got the following effects :
- Motion Blur when accelerating to higher velocity and using warp
- A bit more contrast to make the dark side of planets darker
- And a reflection effect on the dashboard and the frame of the HUD. For example; when you fly in a nebula cloud you will get nice reflections on top of dashboard and hudframes.

Here are some screenshots where you can see the motion blur, contrast and reflection(nebula cloud)

Then I made some new backgrounds. I made a new stars-background with more variety in starsize because the stars of the normal stars-background weren't very visible anymore due to the darker settings of the HDR mod. And I made some new nebula's. I used the nebula mod from leatherpoker, added, altered etc. I got the new textures from wallpapers etc. Not my own.

Here are some screenshots of the new stars and nebula

So here are the links for both mods :
HDR : http://www.box.com/s/iesfkdpajxc0inz1vhjf
Environments : http://www.box.com/s/7tab97xz53thf8hta2be
Just unpack both in your Evochron Mercenary folder
I have to warn you that it may cause lag in your game. My 1 year old laptop doesn't have any problems but my girlfriends 4 year old laptop has a little trouble with it.

I'd like to mention that I didn't "make" the HDR mod. I just adjusted the originel mod for the mount and blade game. I did not "make" the textures for the nebula mod. I assembled the textures into images with photoshop.
You can change the HDR mod to your liking by editing the enbseries file. It's pretty self explanatory.

Thanx! Please let me know if you like it.

[Edited on 8-6-2011 by groenelampkap]

[Edited on 8-8-2011 by groenelampkap]

[Edited on 1-21-2012 by groenelampkap]
SDWeimer
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SDWeimer »

I think this looks really cool, myself I am not into motion blur, but it does add some realisitic effects to the game, Thanks.
Clan [Universal Explorers]
[UE]SDWeimer
Legend---Fleet Admiral<-Legends
Legend---Fleet Admiral<-Mercernary
groenelampkap
Ensign
Ensign

Post by groenelampkap »

From post: 111893, Topic: tid=7837, author=SDWeimer wrote:I think this looks really cool, myself I am not into motion blur, but it does add some realisitic effects to the game, Thanks.
Hey, thanks!
You can switch the motion blur off by opening the enbseries file en change the 1 to 0 beside enablemotionblur. Or you can make motion blur less intense by changing motionblurvelocity to 3 or less(al the way down in enbseries) for example. I like motion blur because it does give textures a soft edge and works a little bit like anti liasing for me.

FYI You can also add a bloom effect if you want.
I really like the contrast part of the mod. Planets shadows should be a little darker. And the light parts of the planet seem to have more detail to them even though they just have higher contrast.

Oh and if you want to toggle of the mod you can use shift + F12. It will disable all the effects. Toggle the mod back on with the same key combination.

I'm very glad that you like it.
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

:cool: Ah, nice. Especially the toggle option and the ability to mod the mod. Fantastic.
Mecingo
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Mecingo »

The motion blur looks sweet, thanks for uploading! :cool:
groenelampkap
Ensign
Ensign

Post by groenelampkap »

From post: 111924, Topic: tid=7837, author=Marvin wrote::cool: Ah, nice. Especially the toggle option and the ability to mod the mod. Fantastic.
Hehe thanx!
groenelampkap
Ensign
Ensign

Post by groenelampkap »

From post: 111978, Topic: tid=7837, author=Mecingo wrote:The motion blur looks sweet, thanks for uploading! :cool:
My pleasure!
I hope you'll like the nebula's too. Please let me know.
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by DaveK »

Hi groenelampkap

Thanks for sharing - I've installed the nebulae and stars and they look stunning

Does the other mod go into its own folder or do the files go into the main folder?

:)
Callsign: Incoming
Life is like a sewer... what you get out of it depends on what you put into it. - Bob Newhart
Hell is being in a pure platinum asteroid field... with a diamond mining beam
ImageImage
groenelampkap
Ensign
Ensign

Post by groenelampkap »

From post: 112028, Topic: tid=7837, author=DaveK wrote:Hi groenelampkap

Thanks for sharing - I've installed the nebulae and stars and they look stunning

Does the other mod go into its own folder or do the files go into the main folder?

:)
Hey,
Glad you like them. You can extract the other mod in the main folder. Have fun!
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Post by Maarschalk »

Cool, thanks for sharing......;):cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

Evochron Mercenary Stats:

Darkness is the absence of Light as Evil is the absence of Good
groenelampkap
Ensign
Ensign

Post by groenelampkap »

Hey,

I added a new nebula to the environments link.
One that replaces the old c5. I wasn't fully happy with that nebula.
Enjoy!

screenshot of the new nebula.
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Post by Maarschalk »

Wow, very nice indeed. Thanks again for sharing;):cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

groenelampkap
Ensign
Ensign

Post by groenelampkap »

WIP new background(s): New softer style.
More cloudlike nebulae(s)
Added colour blue to background stars and mild blue cloudy spots so the nebulae looks more spread out.

The cloud is actually a wallpaper of the game EVE which I altered in photoshop.

[Edited on 8-15-2011 by groenelampkap]
Mecingo
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Mecingo »

From post: 112552, Topic: tid=7837, author=groenelampkap wrote:WIP new background(s): New softer style.
More cloudlike nebulae(s)
Added colour blue to background stars and mild blue cloudy spots so the nebulae looks more spread out.

The cloud is actually a wallpaper of the game EVE which I altered in photoshop.

[Edited on 8-15-2011 by groenelampkap]

:o It's beautiful, might be hard to fight with such a beautiful seen, it would calm me.

Could you upload this and the other orange nebula to? Please

[Edited on 8-16-2011 by Mecingo]
groenelampkap
Ensign
Ensign

Post by groenelampkap »

Hey, sorry about the late reply. I was on vacation :).
Thanx for the nice comment!
The orange nebulae can be downloaded with the link above (from the first post : environments).

I'm working on some new nebulae that have a different style. And because they don't work so well with the normal black stars texture I'm working on a new stars texture to go nicely with the new nebulae. I still have some work with it but I will upload it when the whole package is done.

In the meantime here is a screenshot of a new nebulae.

[Edited on 8-23-2011 by groenelampkap]
Ykses
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Ykses »

Wooh ! Beautiful :cool:

Nice work, and thanks for sharing ;)
.XS.
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Post by Maarschalk »

Again very nice work Groenelampkap.....;):cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

Twilly Frost
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Twilly Frost »

Hey groenelampkap, I just added these background nebulae and wow, very cool. Thanks so much for posting these, they really enhance the experience. My rig is over four years old, just a 2.0 Ghz dual core, and I've experienced no slow down at all using this mod. Stellar work! :cool:
Spaceships! Pew pew pew!

Raynor
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Raynor »

Hey groenelampkap, nice work.

Say i have a request...since megaupload just died today (shut down by johnny law) and that your mods were on it, would you mind re-uploading them somewhere else? (or alternately if anyone has those mods, re-upload them)
groenelampkap
Ensign
Ensign

Post by groenelampkap »

Hello everybody,

First of all, thank you for complimenting.
I've been away a long time... Here's an update.
My laptop crashed near christmas on which i made the mods.

Because it is my laptop from work, I only made copies of my work files and not of my game files.
I was really angry because, not only did I lose the files I've uploaded in this post, I lost my new nebula files I just finished like 4 weeks before!

The reason I waited so long to upload the new nebulae is that I used textures from another game and I don't know how "legit" it was to upload something like that. Basically I used High res screenshots, altered them in photoshop to be used for evochron. But afterwards I didn't really had the nerve to upload them. If someone has a clue if I can do so without violating something, please let me know.

Anyway I've lost them, so I can't upload it anyway, but I would like to know in the case I would start again from zero. Does anybody have any interest in such nebulae (see few posts ago for screenshot)?

In closing, If anyone would upload the mods again and post the links OR if anyone would give me the links I can change the links in the first post, that would help some people that asked me to upload them again...

Thanks!
Valor
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Valor »

From post: 124919, Topic: tid=7837, author=groenelampkap wrote:Hello everybody,

First of all, thank you for complimenting.
I've been away a long time... Here's an update.
My laptop crashed near christmas on which i made the mods.

Because it is my laptop from work, I only made copies of my work files and not of my game files.
I was really angry because, not only did I lose the files I've uploaded in this post, I lost my new nebula files I just finished like 4 weeks before!

The reason I waited so long to upload the new nebulae is that I used textures from another game and I don't know how "legit" it was to upload something like that. Basically I used High res screenshots, altered them in photoshop to be used for evochron. But afterwards I didn't really had the nerve to upload them. If someone has a clue if I can do so without violating something, please let me know.

Anyway I've lost them, so I can't upload it anyway, but I would like to know in the case I would start again from zero. Does anybody have any interest in such nebulae (see few posts ago for screenshot)?

In closing, If anyone would upload the mods again and post the links OR if anyone would give me the links I can change the links in the first post, that would help some people that asked me to upload them again...

Thanks!
I've uploaded the mods for you; here are the links:

HDR: http://www.box.com/s/iesfkdpajxc0inz1vhjf

Environments: http://www.box.com/s/7tab97xz53thf8hta2be

It sucks that you lost all your work.. those screens look beautiful and I would certainly be interested in using them in my game.
TERMINATOR-SSD
Ensign
Ensign

Post by TERMINATOR-SSD »

oh no, just the mod i wanted to download and the site is now down :-( , does anyone have these mods so they can upload them to a new location??

mods look wicked groenelampkap.
Apache
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Apache »

I would very much like to see some new nebulae like the ones in your screenshots. They looked amazing!

Will keep my eues on this topic. Love it.
WOLead
Ensign
Ensign

Post by WOLead »

Sorry to here about the lost work and the laptop crashing.

On the mods? Simply excellence on the backgrounds. The Blur portion on HDR bugged out on my system, causing me to turn it off completely (Blurred too much, to the point of repeated flashing of opaqueness. Though I did have to go and add back in the Bloom option for personal taste and not have everything be shadows.

Again, thank you for your work and for adjusting that HDR mod. It may not be realistic, but the backgrounds alone makes me think more of what I always thought of SciFi space being like.
Flying Brick
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Flying Brick »

Hey gkl (sorry for abbreviating, better than mangling it though), just wanted to say thank you for your work and for sharing it, and I am pretty darn enchanted with the nebulae stuff, so yes, there's definitely interest in more of the same!

Sorry to hear about the data loss, been through that myself several times, various degrees of suckiness, but always suckiness for sure. Hope at least _some_ good comes out of it and you get a new, nicer and spiffier laptop (hey, gotta look for that silver lining, right?)!

Thanks again for your work, and kudos for it!