Another Nav Map Tutorial

Tips, tactics, and general discussion for Evochron Legacy.
gh0stwizard
Ensign
Ensign

Another Nav Map Tutorial

Post by gh0stwizard »

I have not found the forum this topic. Probably not only do I come across like that. It's not annoying, but even so.

Problem description:
Sometimes, right click on the map with sectors shows strange coordinates instead of the right. I hover the cursor on the planet (station, gates, any object), click the right mouse button and see the clean sector without planets, and without anything. To normal traveling I have to manually use the arrows to see the map at the highest magnification. Such behavior can go on indefinitely until you do not restart the game. But very rarely happens that everything returns to normal and I do not why.

How to reproduce:
Usually it happens randomly. But there are quite a proven method. You begin to enter the coordinates of the destination and somewhere in the middle cancel input (Esc or somehow else). You may need to repeat the same action several times. After this bug most likely to occur.
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Another Nav Map Tutorial

Post by Marvin »

From post: 107205, Topic: tid=7580, author=gh0stwizard wrote:I hover the cursor on the planet (station, gates, any object), click the right mouse button and see the clean sector without planets, and without anything.
Image You might be suffering from 2D-itis. Make sure your target is not above or below you.
49rTbird
Captain
Captain

Another Nav Map Tutorial

Post by 49rTbird »

Also, you can left click on the map to set the position then right click to zoom in. Good luck and good flying.:)
Explore! Explore! Explore! \"There is no going back (Yet) so Make Today Count!
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Another Nav Map Tutorial

Post by Maarschalk »

Make sure your destination coordinates match the coordinates of the sector your right clicked in after right clicking.......if not your right clicking the wrong sector in 3D the one before, after, above, below, right or left of the sector that is being blocked by those....;):cool:
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

Evochron Mercenary Stats:

Darkness is the absence of Light as Evil is the absence of Good
Jack Dandy
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Another Nav Map Tutorial

Post by Jack Dandy »

It happens to me from time to time as well, it's pretty annoying.

Is there a way to fix it?
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Another Nav Map Tutorial

Post by Marvin »

:cool: Yeah. Always do this:

1. Select Top View.
2. Left click on your target.
3. Select Rear View.
4. Left click on your target.
5. Select Top View again.
6. Right click on your target.

The map zooms in when you right click. By left-clicking in both X-Z and X-Y maps, you've set your location in all three dimensions.
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Another Nav Map Tutorial

Post by Marvin »

:cool: Here's why:

• When you're in the Top View and click (either left or right) on the Nav map, your actual location could be anywhere along the red line in the first diagram. The difference between clicking left or right is, with right-clicking, you zoom in on the map.
  • When you're in the Rear View and click on the Nav map, your actual location could be anywhere along the red line in the second diagram.
  • Ergo, you need to click on the Nav map in both views to specify your exact jump point (where the two lines intersect), as indicated in the third diagram.
gh0stwizard
Ensign
Ensign

Another Nav Map Tutorial

Post by gh0stwizard »

As I had not figured it out. Thanks for the detailed explanation!
Jack Dandy
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Another Nav Map Tutorial

Post by Jack Dandy »

Ohhh.. I see. Thanks!
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Another Nav Map Tutorial

Post by Maarschalk »

A picture tells a thousand words or is that sectors relatively speaking?........;):P:cool:
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

Evochron Mercenary Stats:

Darkness is the absence of Light as Evil is the absence of Good
FungusTrooper
Ensign
Ensign

Another Nav Map Tutorial

Post by FungusTrooper »

I kind of wish you could just scroll around the map, or use the mousewheel to scroll. Still, at least this right click thing works.. most of the time, anyway!!
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Another Nav Map Tutorial

Post by Marvin »

:cool: I've found that the only time it doesn't work is when your target is in one or more sectors above or below you on the Y-axis ... and you forget to check the Rear View (left click to set the correct Y coordinate) before going back to right-click on Top View.
49rTbird
Captain
Captain

Another Nav Map Tutorial

Post by 49rTbird »

Hi FungusTrooper, Welcome to the forum and the Sim. Have fun and hope to see you in Multi-Player sometime.:)
Explore! Explore! Explore! \"There is no going back (Yet) so Make Today Count!
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Another Nav Map Tutorial

Post by DaveK »

Excellent explanation Marvin - I'll add it to the Hints Guide :)
Callsign: Incoming
Life is like a sewer... what you get out of it depends on what you put into it. - Bob Newhart
Hell is being in a pure platinum asteroid field... with a diamond mining beam
ImageImage
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Another Nav Map Tutorial

Post by Marvin »

:cool: I've posted a similar tutorial elsewhere ... but, since this is one of the most-asked questions, I figure it could stand being repeated. Using an example in the Rivoch stary system, this is something like what you might see when first calling up the Nav Map:

You want to jump to the trade station, so you right-click on your target and expect to zoom in on the sector where the station is located. Surprisingly, when you click (and, consequently, zoom in), the trade station doesn't show up. Ergo, you assume the Nav Map function is borked. But you'd be incorrect in your assumption ... easily proved if you now left-click on the "Rear View" button located on the right side of the map. 'Cause, when you do, you'll see something like this:

Hopefully, a light bulb goes on and you realize that the trade station is above your current location. Nonetheless, your jump point is still on the same level as your ship. You can confirm this fact by examining the "Destination Position" windows. See the "SY" window? It displays the current Y-sector destination coordinate and, in this example, it still shows a zero ... meaning your destination jump point is set to SY=0! But the trade station is at SY=1! So, before going back to the map's Top View, left-click on the trade station. While you're at it, check the "SY" window and observe that the destination Y coordinate has changed to reflect the proper sector coordinate of your intended target (the trade station).

:cool: Now, left-click on the "Top View" button to flip the Nav Map back to a top-down view. Finally, right-click on the trade station ... and you'll zoom in on the trade station. Simple. Now you can jump. Set your pitch to zero and launch. Btw, if your target is a gate, you'll also want to set your heading to zero.
Major Grubert
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Another Nav Map Tutorial

Post by Major Grubert »

Marvin,
your guide is awesomely useful !!

In fact i read it in first and then think about it in game... and while doing what you explain i get exactly the thing !!

Exactly the kind of little tips that make a noob save lot of time..

thanks a lot
mido