customizing cockpits?

Custom mods, stories, and artwork based on the Evochron / Arvoch universe.
tk7223
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

customizing cockpits?

Post by tk7223 »

Ok...I have no 3d cad software and I want to see about making a custom cockpit. Is there a Idiot's guide to this? Or at least a good walkthru? or am I just wasting my ammo trying to hit this target? :)

PS- I read Vice's info on what he uses and about what's needed for Legends..and I know Warsign does have some stuff. But I'm looking for a real simple way to get started.

[Edited on 2-10-2009 by tk7223]
Winter Owl
Ensign
Ensign

customizing cockpits?

Post by Winter Owl »

I started down exactly the same path a little while ago, also with no 3D modeling experience. I haven't got very far with it yet. :D

I took a quick look at Google Sketchup, Blender, Metaseq (Vice uses this one), Milkshape, and Truespace. My experience so far: Google Sketchup is by far the simplest, easiest to use program to start creating your basic design with. Unfortunately, Sketchup doesn't export your design in a form that's usable by any of the other modeling software... but in my searching I found reference to a few different ways to get that job done via 3rd party conversion software. It is possible.

Blender looks like another good program. Opensource, lots of tutorials, large community eager to assist newbies.

The big problem I've been running into is importing the customization kit's CCPIT.x file into... anything. I suspect it isn't actually possible with any of these free programs. (I'm determined to only use the free stuff.) Converting into 3DS or any other format doesn't seem to help... all I ever see is the same flat featureless shape that doesn't look anything at all like Vice's cockpit. So obviously I'm missing some crucial detail due to my total inexperience. Not surprising.
Pay no attention to me!
I\'m just a weather balloon. And some swamp gas... uhh... refracted the light of Venus or something.
Yeah, that\'s it. Definitely not a spaceship, no sir.
shewter
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

customizing cockpits?

Post by shewter »

Hi Guys, I've been using blender for 2 yrs now, its a STEEP learning curve ,but once you get to know the hot keys, its a lot easier.Let me know if i can help you out.

[Edited on 2-10-2009 by shewter]
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

customizing cockpits?

Post by Vice »

The sample that comes with the kit is only the firewall of the cockpit, a central structure that gauges can be mounted to and struts built around it. Most of the cockpit in the game is actually built in code, it's not a static model mesh. So the central panel is best used as a guide for building a cockpit onto. I plan to include it in MQO format with the new customizing kit.

[Edited on 2-10-2009 by Vice]
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
tk7223
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

customizing cockpits?

Post by tk7223 »

Ok..Thanks for the helpful replies. I guess I'll try my hand at it once the Legends kit is available. I kinda want to re-skin my digital cockpit to match my home-built game pod.
Palerider
Ensign
Ensign

customizing cockpits?

Post by Palerider »

Dear Vice,
I try to install one or the other awesome cockpit HUD. But nothing happens. First of all a back up. Then I have replaced all the datas e.g. b2-compass from the folder HUD Xwing I have downloaded. C\\sw3dg/EvochronRenegades. But I have still the original cockpit. What is wrong? Can you please gimme a hint?
49rTbird
Captain
Captain

customizing cockpits?

Post by 49rTbird »

Hi Palerider, I can tell you what I did wrong a couple of times that may or not help.
I created a New folder called "HUD" in the main program folder like you are suppose to do.
I then extracted a zip file to it.
I did not notice that the program created it's own "HUD" folder inside my "HUD" folder so the game could not find it.
You may check to see if this happened to you.
I copied the files inside the second folder into the first and all worked fine.
Good luck with yours.:)
Explore! Explore! Explore! \"There is no going back (Yet) so Make Today Count!
Palerider
Ensign
Ensign

customizing cockpits?

Post by Palerider »

Thanks a lot mate. I will try it. I have downloaded Custimizing and Modifying the Game too. In the read me file it stays: use a directory name of \\hud ... GRRRRRRR Where the hell is it? As mentiond above: the path are C:\\sw3dg\\EvochronRenegades\\2 and 3 and 6 and b2 compass and ccpit and so forth. But no \\hud or \\ships or \\sounds. If i try to open Evochron, the game started. Now I am fustratet! I do not agree, that this has to be so difficult.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

customizing cockpits?

Post by Vice »

If the \\hud folder is not created by the zip when you extract the files, then you have to create it yourself, then put the files in it. It isn't difficult, you just need the required folders and files in the right location.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
49rTbird
Captain
Captain

customizing cockpits?

Post by 49rTbird »

Originally posted by Palerider
Thanks a lot mate. I will try it. I have downloaded Custimizing and Modifying the Game too. In the read me file it stays: use a directory name of \\hud ... GRRRRRRR Where the hell is it? As mentiond above: the path are C:\\sw3dg\\EvochronRenegades\\2 and 3 and 6 and b2 compass and ccpit and so forth. But no \\hud or \\ships or \\sounds. If i try to open Evochron, the game started. Now I am fustratet! I do not agree, that this has to be so difficult.
Here is what is meant by creating a "HUD" file in the program folder

you can see a bunch of folders and one is the "HUD" folder I made to put the custom hud files in.:)

[Edited on 5-14-2009 by thetiebers]
Explore! Explore! Explore! \"There is no going back (Yet) so Make Today Count!
Palerider
Ensign
Ensign

customizing cockpits?

Post by Palerider »

Thank your very much Vice. That was the hint. I did it and everything works. Why not in the first place? SUPER!!
warsign
Captain
Captain

customizing cockpits?

Post by warsign »

I hope you like, you can try my other mods, Evoch V and Leviathan cockpits are pretty good also.

Enjoy...