Control System Update...

Tips, tactics, and general discussion for Evochron Legacy.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Control System Update...

Post by Vice »

The next update of Evochron Legacy will introduce a new control input system. I want to provide advanced notice of this change as it will likely have an impact on current axis bindings for many players. I also want to provide some instructions on options for those interested in continuing with the current control system. So in short, be prepared for a change in axis assignments after the next update rolls out.

First, I'll review the reasons why. Enough requests and have come in for expanding particular control capabilities along with some technical support reports regarding Saitek X55 Rhino devices on Windows 10 that have justified implementing an entirely new control system. The addition of HAT/POV button input control options, multiple HAT/POV support, expanded axis input support, and support for X55 devices on Windows 10 are all objectives of the new system. Here are some specifics on these additions:

- Support for the X55 on Windows 10 regardless of whether the devices are sorted properly in Windows joy.cpl.
- Support for 10 fully independent axis channels per device (no longer limited to 7 primary and 3 secondary).
- Full device names listed at top of the axis and button configuration menus.
- Support for multiple POV/HAT inputs for devices that have them.
- Added support for POV/HAT inputs for button functions.
- Overall tighter and more accurate response.

For X55 users on Windows 10, make sure to run the latest build of Windows 10 and apply all updates in addition to running the latest beta driver from Madcatz available here: http://www.saitek.com/uk/down/drivers.php and directly from Saitek's FTP site here: ftp://ftp.saitek.com/pub/software/beta/Windows10/

What will likely change when updating to the new control system:

- Axis channels will be mapped to different ID's. This may vary by device type. So you will likely need to remap your axis controls in the axis configuration menu.
- New axis input options may now be available to you that weren't before.

What shouldn't change when updating to the new control system:

- Buttons should remain mapped the same way they were before under the old system. However, this may not be true for all devices across all operating systems. So just be aware that you may also need to remap button controls after updating.

If you do not want to use the new control system and would prefer to keep the original system, that option is still available as both systems have been left in place for players to select which one they prefer. To keep the old control system in place, simply place a text file named 'deviceinputold.txt' in the game's install folder. It can contain nothing or the word 'enable' in the first line. It will be best to migrate to the new system as it will be the default/standard going forward, but the original control system will remain for those who wish to continue using it.

Edit: Sample file to keep the old control input system attached.

[Edited on 2-12-2016 by Vice]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
Serayl
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Control System Update...

Post by Serayl »

I'm going to ask the dumb question: will this affect those of us who play with keyboard + mouse in any way?
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Control System Update...

Post by Marvin »

Will "enable" in the deviceinputold.txt file enable the new setup or will it enable the old setup?
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Control System Update...

Post by Vice »

I'm going to ask the dumb question: will this affect those of us who play with keyboard + mouse in any way?
Nope, all of those systems and options remain the same.
Will "enable" in the deviceinputold.txt file enable the new setup or will it enable the old setup?
That file in any form will always be for enabling the old setup.
StarWraith 3D Games
Radikal
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Control System Update...

Post by Radikal »

This has support for multiple POV hat functions for those that use two joysticks also?
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Control System Update...

Post by Marvin »

Thanks, Vice. Text file ready for insertion.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Control System Update...

Post by Vice »

This has support for multiple POV hat functions for those that use two joysticks also?
Sounds like you're referring to button functions? If so, yes, yes that should work across the board for button mapping. The test build is available on Steam's beta system and via direct download if you'd like to try it now.
StarWraith 3D Games
Bodega
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Control System Update...

Post by Bodega »

Vice,
You should edit the OP, there are actually newer drivers on the main: http://www.saitek.com/uk/down/drivers.php site. These are newer than the beta drivers (Thanks Eduardolicious for pointing out my error, sorry anyone (NLS) that I directed to the FTP site over the actual site, I didn't realize that there were newer ones released in late January.

Click on the "Choose Your Product Range" dropdown in blue and select: "Pro Flight" for the X-52 and X-55 line of controllers.

Testing newer tweaks to the dual button set up to allow using a key as a shift key without activating the first function and it's mint, really doubles the effective amount of buttons on the controller. Vice is amazing, I mentioned to him that the first function was still activating when I did a pinkie button shift + button and he fixed in a few hours. I'm spoiled now because I've never had a dev be so responsive to the community.
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Control System Update...

Post by DaveK »

Which of the four versions of the 64bit drivers should I use? :)
Callsign: Incoming
Life is like a sewer... what you get out of it depends on what you put into it. - Bob Newhart
Hell is being in a pure platinum asteroid field... with a diamond mining beam
ImageImage
Bodega
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Control System Update...

Post by Bodega »

DaveK, drivers for your control stick? There should only be 1 version for 64 bit, you'll see the drivers and the software. You want both, the drivers are the drivers and the software is the profiler.

Though with the new system Vice implemented and I tested yesterday, you won't need the profiler, Vice has done an outstanding job.

Go here: http://www.saitek.com/uk/down/drivers.php
Click on "Choose you product range" and choose your product and then OS. you'll see 2 blue buttons pop up, 1 for drivers and one for software. Vice also linked directly to their FTP which is the beta drivers directory. The release drivers are actually newer now. Here's the direct link to the FTP for release drivers (You might want to check the beta directory just in case they updated them).

Release drivers FTP site for X52-X55-Pro: ftp://ftp.saitek.com/pub/software/full/

The X52 ones are in the X52 directory. Please note that these FTP sites are full of old stuff, so please look at the dates and compare the version numbers. The latest X52 drivers are from 2/4/16 and version number 7.0.53.6 - or just use their website linked above and select from the dropdown. Reply if you have any questions and I'll do my best to get you situated.

win 10 Beta FTP Site for X52-X55-Pro: ftp://ftp.saitek.com/pub/software/beta/Windows10/
Delta99
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Control System Update...

Post by Delta99 »

From post: 185093, Topic: tid=12424, author=Vice wrote:[quote]The test build is available on Steam's beta system and via direct download if you'd like to try it now.
Vice, where does this exist in Steam? I don't see a beta tab for Legacy where I normally would like other games. Or is there a completely separate thing available on Steam for the beta?
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Control System Update...

Post by Vice »

That is an old beta from the time when the new control system was first being developed. The revisions to the system are still in progress and betas sent to players involved in providing requests and feedback. I'll send you the link to the latest.
StarWraith 3D Games
Delta99
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Control System Update...

Post by Delta99 »

From post: 185757, Topic: tid=12424, author=Vice wrote:That is an old beta from the time when the new control system was first being developed. The revisions to the system are still in progress and betas sent to players involved in providing requests and feedback. I'll send you the link to the latest.
Great, thanks Vice. I thought perhaps that you always published the latest beta on Steam like some other game devs do but not a problem if you don't do that.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Control System Update...

Post by Vice »

I often make custom builds specific to individual players as part of the development process. If I posted everything I prepared for builds, there could be fractured levels of beta builds frequently all over the place, some of which may have certain functions intentionally disabled or altered to help a player test under their specific circumstances. So it's often more practical and less time consuming for me if I can focus on each custom build for testing to get feedback from the player or players dealing with me directly on an issue (the less time I spend answering repeat questions or incorrect bug reports over assumed/missing functionality, the more time I have to focus on coding and developing the final changes/additions). I did post some beta builds a while back and wound up getting confusion in feedback and irrelevant/inaccurate bug reports for intentional functionality changes not intended for those trying the various beta builds. So I'll generally hold off on any widespread testing of such builds until a need may arise to do so.
StarWraith 3D Games
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Control System Update...

Post by DaveK »

From post: 185744, Topic: tid=12424, author=Bodega wrote:DaveK, drivers for your control stick? There should only be 1 version for 64 bit, you'll see the drivers and the software. You want both, the drivers are the drivers and the software is the profiler.

Though with the new system Vice implemented and I tested yesterday, you won't need the profiler, Vice has done an outstanding job.

Go here: http://www.saitek.com/uk/down/drivers.php
Click on "Choose you product range" and choose your product and then OS. you'll see 2 blue buttons pop up, 1 for drivers and one for software. Vice also linked directly to their FTP which is the beta drivers directory. The release drivers are actually newer now. Here's the direct link to the FTP for release drivers (You might want to check the beta directory just in case they updated them).

Release drivers FTP site for X52-X55-Pro: ftp://ftp.saitek.com/pub/software/full/

The X52 ones are in the X52 directory. Please note that these FTP sites are full of old stuff, so please look at the dates and compare the version numbers. The latest X52 drivers are from 2/4/16 and version number 7.0.53.6 - or just use their website linked above and select from the dropdown. Reply if you have any questions and I'll do my best to get you situated.

win 10 Beta FTP Site for X52-X55-Pro: ftp://ftp.saitek.com/pub/software/beta/Windows10/
Sorry - I was having a senior moment - my system protection stopped the driver choice from working properly and so I assumed the four plugin sections were what I was choosing from.

I've just tried again with the protection switched off and downloaded the Win7 64bit stuff! :D

Thanks for your explanation and advice

:)
Callsign: Incoming
Life is like a sewer... what you get out of it depends on what you put into it. - Bob Newhart
Hell is being in a pure platinum asteroid field... with a diamond mining beam
ImageImage