Ship drift

Tips, tactics, and general discussion for Evochron Legacy.
red2112
Ensign
Ensign

Ship drift

Post by red2112 »

Greetings everyone!

I just bought EM2 a week ago from Steam. I would like to say it´s VERY nice indeed and love the flight dynamics. But I think I have a little problem. My ship seem to slowly drift to one side like it was flooting. When I first tried the game it didn´t act that way, but lately I have this issue. I don´t think it´s normal as I don´t see this behaviour on the YT vids, so any help is more then welcome!

I use a X-52 joy and throttle and aim on W7x64 Pro (i5/GTX660)

Kudos to the author of this sim, you rock!

Care,

Mike
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Ship drift

Post by Vice »

Hello and welcome. Just about any time that happens, it's due to one of the axis channels not being centered properly. In the Configure Controls menu, watch the axis channel indicators in the middle of the screen and observe the one mapped to horizontal strafe control. You'll likely find that it is not centered. You can confirm this by clearing that axis control completely, then enter the game. If the drift goes away, it was that axis channel that was not centered. You can usually resolve the problem in the Saitek configuration menu, expanding the deadzone level in the game itself, or sometimes by unplugging and reconnecting the device. I would suggest simply changing the deadzone setting in the main Options menu first, then move on to the Saitek menu next.

The default settings of the game make it pretty sensitive to any imprecision a joystick may have, so if it's inaccurate in even a small degree, the game will often pick it up. But the built-in sensitivity/deadzone settings will let you adjust that response level and taper it down for devices that are not returning 100% accurate signals due to age/wear or flaws.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Ship drift

Post by Marvin »

:cool: A "control check" might also help. If my ships drifts, I do a check from inside the game: push the joystick full left, full right, full forward and full back ... then in a circle.
red2112
Ensign
Ensign

Ship drift

Post by red2112 »

Hi,

Thanks Vice and Marvin for your guidence. I must say that it was all my bad!!! I usualy check my stick very often as I fly in a acrobatic/formation team as a fill-in, so the center joy issue was discarted.

The thing was that I have the vertical and horizontal thrusters mapped to the two wheel axis on the X-52 throttle and one was NOT in the indent position, thus causing me the drift.

So sorry guys! You know, sometimes these little drawbacks are somtimes overseen, specially when your new to a game.

Again, sorry folks and thank you so much for your help and welcome to the forum!

Care,

Mike

PD.: In DCS Black Shark there´s an option to show a little screen at the bottom left of you monitor that show´s the position of your controls. In the case of the Black Shark, this is very usefull to "see" were you left your rudder pedals. You might want to include something similar in future updates or a new game.

[Edited on 11-22-2013 by red2112]
SeeJay
Captain
Captain

Ship drift

Post by SeeJay »

Hi and welcome.

Just about anything is "overseen" since we have all been "there" having all kinds of difficulties.

That's the great thing with this Community. NO question is "stupid"!

See ya out there! ;)
\"Nothing is impossible, it only takes a bit longer!\"
\"We are not retreating, we are advancing in another direction!\"

http://evochron.junholt.se (Old)
http://www.evochron2.junholt.se (New)
http://mercenary.junholt.se (Map)
http://www.junholt.se/evoschool/index.htm (No spoilers)
-8- Bzzzzzzzzz! -8- -8-
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Ship drift

Post by DaveK »

From post: 165444, Topic: tid=11081, author=red2112 wrote:Hi,

The thing was that I have the vertical and horizontal thrusters mapped to the two wheel axis on the X-52 throttle and one was NOT in the indent position, thus causing me the drift.
Worry not, Mike

I've been there and done that (same stick!) and went red as well when I realised ! :P

:)
Callsign: Incoming
Life is like a sewer... what you get out of it depends on what you put into it. - Bob Newhart
Hell is being in a pure platinum asteroid field... with a diamond mining beam
ImageImage
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Ship drift

Post by Maarschalk »

Hi red2112, welcome to the game and forum!.......Hope to see you out there some time!.......;):cool:

Most of the time before starting the game I check the settings in the control panel of my X52 stick! and run a check to make sure everything goes back to the zero position!
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

Evochron Mercenary Stats:

Darkness is the absence of Light as Evil is the absence of Good