[EM 2.708] Music mod CTD

Custom mods, stories, and artwork based on the Evochron / Arvoch universe.
MaxiM
Ensign
Ensign

[EM 2.708] Music mod CTD

Post by MaxiM »

Hello everyone,
So I've got a problem with the music mod. No matter how many files (correctly named musiclevel[set]-[threat level]) I add, the game loads into the menu without a hitch (custom music works fine in the menu), but the game crashes at 100% loading 9 out of 10 times. I tried everything from adding one set at a time to reducing .ogg bitrate gradually down to 64kbps. Nothing helped.

I sport 16Gigs of fast, Kingston RAM and I can play the game at max detail (above max actually, using Catalyst panel) with all the uber-res mods that I could find and it's stable as a mountain, but as soon as I add custom music it just breaks (with or without any other mods and even at low quality settings). This topic has been popping on these forums quite a few times over the years, which leads me to believe there's actually something wrong with the way the game handles either memory usage or the Vorbis codec.

I'm attaching my DxDiag in case it could prove useful in fixing that issue and I really hope to find a solution for that. The original music is great, but I just want to add more variety and feed my nostalgia in the process (OST from I-War 2, Homeworld, No Gravity and others).

Just to let you know, I can only pass the 2nd test using Vice's Memory Test, which I find quite astonishing, considering the amount and quality of RAM that I'm using. I tried the 4GB Patch, as well as Large Adress Aware program to no avail.

I almost gave up on the idea of having a custom soundtrack by now. Help me, Obi Vice Kenobi. You're my only hope...

[file]798[/file]

P.S. And this is how I named the files:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
~George Bernard Shaw
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

[EM 2.708] Music mod CTD

Post by Vice »

For now, there is a filename link dependency between the \\music folder and the \\sounds folder. So for now, you'll just need to keep an exact copy of each music file in both folders for the game be to able to find the references it needs to load and play each one in each threat level sequence. So if you don't have the \\sounds folder in place, just create it and copy over all of your music files into that folder as well (leaving behind the originals in the \\music folder also), then launch the game.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
MaxiM
Ensign
Ensign

[EM 2.708] Music mod CTD

Post by MaxiM »

Thanks man, now it finally works! This information should definitely be a sticky - it would save me at least 4 hours of googling, experimenting and countless crashes if it was :)
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
~George Bernard Shaw