[EL 2.0708] Restore Defaults in Key/Button Controls settings not working *FIXED 2.0718*

For help with SW3DG game related technical issues.
Rangoon
Ensign
Ensign

[EL 2.0708] Restore Defaults in Key/Button Controls settings not working *FIXED 2.0718*

Post by Rangoon »

Hello - I'm not getting any response from the Restore Defaults button. It makes a sound, so it's registering the click, but it doesn't do anything. I had changed some of the bindings. so it was clear that they weren't being reset.

In a related matter, when closing out the Settings (upper right corner X), despite saying "No" to wanting to save changes, the changes are saved regardless.

I tried replacing keymap8-advanced.sw in Documents\EvochronLegacySE with the one from Documents\EvochronLegacySE\ControlSettingsBackup, but that didn't work. I assumed the file in the backup folder would have been the default file, but maybe the reverse was true. I deleted both files and the game seems to have recreated a new one with defaults. That's a fair workaround, but wanted to at least report about the behavior I'm seeing, in case they are bugs.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Re: [EL 2.0708] Restore Defaults in Key/Button Controls settings not working

Post by Vice »

The first definitely seems to be a bug. The new protective measures worked a little too well and the second layer of mapping updates was left pending. I'll work on a fix for that so it immediately applies, saves, and displays default mappings. In the meantime, you can click on the option to 'Restore Defaults', then click on 'Save & Exit', then exit the game and restart it. Default mappings and modes should then apply.

For the second, the settings are not saved, but left pending for testing, then reversed upon certain reload/exit operations. So they would eventually go back to their original settings upon certain exit routes or next time starting the game. There were a few technical reasons for this and the behavior was consistent for those select options, but I can review re-applying most things that do not require a reload of certain media files or shaders to make sure things behave as they should.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
Rangoon
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Rangoon »

Got it. If I need to restore again, I'll use that method for now.

Regarding the second, no problem there. It threw me off, but I'm sure there are good reasons for how you have it implemented. If you feel it's worthwhile, you could describe that in the confirmation dialog. But for me, now I know!

Thanks!
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

I agree. Most things are reversible and can apply immediately (control mappings for example), but I'll plan on adding this message for other settings that need rebuilding of some sort to fully reverse changes:

Note: The effects of reversing some changes may not apply
until reloading or rebuilding of some game files or modes.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations