CPU value...

For help with SW3DG game related technical issues.
kalverkamp
Ensign
Ensign

CPU value...

Post by kalverkamp »

Hi

A question to the other Server Hosters...
If someone uses the 2d Server i would really like to know how much CPU Usage is shown in your Server.
I rent 2 Servers at this time. All 2 from the same ISP.
Both Servers are Virtual Machines. The Slower one was first (and is already cancelled) and has one CPU with 2,4 Ghz and 1 GB Ram. This Server was the first i tried out the Server Programm and it showed between 90-100% CPu Usage even if empty. After Starting the Server Programm it starts with about 70% but when i looked at it a few hours later it always is at maximum.
That was the reason i cancelled it and rented a new Server with more Power.
Then after starting with the Second one (2x2,4 Ghz 3GB Ram) i first was happy to see the Server starting with the expected 50% CPU Usage. But after it runs a few hours even the new Server shows CPU Usage of about 90% (still no player online)

The newer Server never goes to 100% but i am unsure about the capabilities of this machine...does anyone have experience with this? Or it is even normal that the Server always uses this much CPU Power?
How much People can i expect to serve with this?

[Edited on 9-20-2012 by kalverkamp]
A German Evochron Mercenary Server, Website and hopefully soon a Community at www.evochronmercenary.de. I am searching for other German Serveradmins, Clans, Players etc interested in sharing a German Forum.
Capt_Caveman
Commander
Commander

Post by Capt_Caveman »

my server idles at 17-19% cpu and 35-45% with 7 players 2d version

cpu: AMD A8-3870K 3.0GHz Quad-Core (CPU+radeon hd6550d integrated GPU)
mb: ASRock A75M-HVS FM1 AMD A75 (Hudson D3) HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX lan 10/100/1000
mem: G-skill 8gb (2X4gb) ddr3 1333 pc3 10666
ssd: OCZ Solid 3 60Gb sata III (6.0gb)
psu: Diablotek DA Series PSDA320M 320W Micro ATX Power Supply
O.S. win 7 ultimate sp1 x64
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Which method are you using to monitor the CPU use? The task manager merely displays how much utilization is going to a given program. The internal gauge on the program itself gives you an idea of how efficient the program is running on the system, it's not a utilization monitor. If the task manager is showing 100%, then the server program is utilizing all of the CPU, which can be expected on a single core system. Multi-core systems will generally show less CPU use overall. If the program's CPU gauge is at 100%, then it's a sign the program is near the limit of performance that it needs. You'll want to watch the FPS readout on the server program under those conditions. If it at least stays above 20-30 or so, then there's still enough performance available to run the program fairly efficiently. If it's below that, then running performance may be too low.

Either way, the CPU use shouldn't increase over time. So I would suggest checking to see if something else is running on the system in the background that may be using up resources over time.

How many players you can host is more dependent on the speed of your internet connection and what server settings you apply.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
Capt_Caveman
Commander
Commander

Post by Capt_Caveman »

readings given are from task manager
cpu useage indicated by server is 47% idle and 60-65% with 7 players
Janus
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Janus »

Starport 6 shows between 26% and 34% cpu usage in the task manager. The internal indicator in the server program shows between 80 and 92.

This is with 7 players online and I'm using the 2D version of the server software. Running a 3.0 GB quad core processor. Never had complaints about performance.

Janus

[Edited on 9-21-2012 by Janus]
ADMIN Starport 6
kalverkamp
Ensign
Ensign

Post by kalverkamp »

to Vice> I ment the CPU Usage shown in the Server Programm. I have to connect to the Server via Remotedesktop, so i have no idea how to open the Task Manager. But after all these Posts i looked again and found a Diagnose Tool from the Server itself and this Shows 50% Usage, the Server still shows about 90%
So it seems to be alright. Puh..i really had a shock first, thought i had to rent an even more expensive Server.

Thanks to the other Admins...So it seems to be normal that the Server Programm itself shows this values. That is what i missunderstood. I didnt understand that first in Vice´s Post. My English is alright, but not so good that i understand every detail.
A German Evochron Mercenary Server, Website and hopefully soon a Community at www.evochronmercenary.de. I am searching for other German Serveradmins, Clans, Players etc interested in sharing a German Forum.