[EM] Problem mapping dual-stage trigger (X52 Pro)

For help with SW3DG game related technical issues.
LarsenB
Ensign
Ensign

Post by LarsenB »

Hello, new Evochron player here!

I'm trying to map the dual stage trigger of my joystick to use beam and particle weapons
My first try was:
Button 0 (1st stage trigger): Beam only
Button 14 (2nd stage trigger): Full cannons

On the config menu everything seems fine, in game however 1st stage works ok, but when i press 2nd stage, it keeps firing beam... since the game is registering both button 0 and 14 being pressed simultaneously, i figured that "beam only" command had priority over "full cannons"

So, a did a second try:
Button 0: Beam only
Button 14: Particle only

This time, the result is even stranger: when i go from 1st stage to 2nd stage, weapons stops firing BUT the energy is being drained anyway

I tested this also with the default keyboard controls and got the same result: CTRL+F6 still gets beam only, while F5+F6 still gets no shots fired but energy is consumed

Am i missing something? I've found a workaround with the Saitek profiler, but it's really clunky (involves a macro pressing 'N'/'N,N' on press/release)....
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Not sure on the energy drain (could be a glitch), but the functionality of the X52 seems to be working correctly based on your description. Any time the trigger is pulled, button 0 will register and not deactivate itself when pulled to stage 2, it remains on. I'm not aware of a way to bypass the button input on the X52 to ignore input signal 0 when input signal 14 is activated and there isn't a way to do this on the software side of things in the game either. I'll try it out a bit myself to how it behaves as I use a X52 myself, but I suspect the setup you came up with is the best option.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
LarsenB
Ensign
Ensign

Post by LarsenB »

Thanks for the quick response... don't know if it matters, but note that i'm using the Steam version.

Meanwhile, tomorrow I'll try to install EM on my laptop and see if it behaves differently
Sinbad
Commander
Commander

Post by Sinbad »

Hi LarsenB, I don't know about the energy drain thing, but the two-stage trigger only seems to work as you describe. I also tried to find a way to operate the two-stages independently... it would be useful to have 1st stage beam only and 2nd stage particle only, but unfortunately not possible. My work-around now is 1st stage beam only, 2nd stage beam+particle, 2nd stage with pinkie particle only. So when you want particle only pull fully on trigger and squeeze the pinkie... works well in the heat of battle!

Universe Explorers Clan
[UE]Sinbad
Clan Leader

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known. - Carl Sagan
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Another point to keep in mind for anyone who might be interested in binding unique control functions to the second stage of the trigger on an X52 is that you can bind a new function to it by holding the trigger at stage 1, then clicking on the control option you want to bind to stage 2, then pull the trigger to stage 2. The game will ignore any active button inputs at the time you click on a control function you want to remap, letting you bypass a button input that might be in the way of a secondary button input you want to map a function to. So this is a way you can bind a new function to stage 2 of the trigger from within the game itself.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
LarsenB
Ensign
Ensign

Post by LarsenB »

I tested this on my laptop and found out that F5+F6 combines correctly there, so i went back to the main PC, reset the configuration and started the key mapping from scratch: now at least the second configuration works fine without macros in the profiler, with 1st stage on beams and 2nd stage on beam+particle which is good enough.

Almost ready for take off... ;)
Lazarus
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by Lazarus »

I have an X52 pro and it's pretty easy to manipulate what you are asking.

The trick to doing this is to macro the first phase of the trigger as a macro release button. This is the last macro option inside the software under advanced macros.

The second phase should then just be programmed as a key press. Basically, each time you press and then release it fires beams.

Hold down the trigger completely to fire particles.

However, you will not be able to shoot them both at the same time unless you use a toggle switch to activate that if you like similar to how caps lock functions on your keyboard. It's fairly simple. Happy hunting.

[Edited on 8-11-2012 by Lazarus]

[Edited on 8-11-2012 by Lazarus]
LarsenB
Ensign
Ensign

Post by LarsenB »

From post: 143134, Topic: tid=9703, author=Lazarus wrote:I have an X52 pro and it's pretty easy to manipulate what you are asking.

The trick to doing this is to macro the first phase of the trigger as a macro release button. This is the last macro option inside the software under advanced macros.

The second phase should then just be programmed as a key press. Basically, each time you press and then release it fires beams.

Hold down the trigger completely to fire particles.

However, you will not be able to shoot them both at the same time unless you use a toggle switch to activate that if you like similar to how caps lock functions on your keyboard. It's fairly simple. Happy hunting.
Yeah, i did a macro similar to that: 1st stage was bound to 'primary weapon', 2nd stage press cycled the active weapon, 2nd stage release cycled it again two times, skipping the full cannon layout.
It worked, with the only caveat that, since the game does not recognize a very fast weapon switch, I had to insert a little pause between the 'N' keypress.

All in all, i'm actually fine with the simpler setup i have now
LarsenB
Ensign
Ensign

Post by LarsenB »

Oh, by the way, I think i've found the glitch where no weapon is fired but the energy is drained anyway (even with no Joystick involved):

If you have only a Particle weapon installed, and press "particle only", it works as expected... however, if you press "beam only" + "particle only", they don't combine correctly, and instead of still firing the particle, nothing is shot while the energy goes down.

If you do have a beam and particle installed, then single shots and combined shots works OK

At least, this is what is happening on my PC...