Crash During asteroid clearing *FIXED*

For help with SW3DG game related technical issues.
Odinnorse
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Odinnorse »

Processor: Intel Core2 Duo @ 2HGz
RAM: 3GB
32 - bit Operating System
Geforce 8400M GS
SigmaTel High Def Audio

Basically I'm experiencing a crash in the game when i take the a contract to clear away asteroids, I'll get to the area and take a few out, but at some point the game will crash doing this, I got as far as 11 / 20 asteroids.

The possible reason for the crash i can think of are maybe something to do with destruction of an asteroid or enemy weather it be a graphical problem to do with explosion graphics or a problem to do with sound FX I could say.

No error dump or anything , just a crash
I had a quick look through the forum and did see a post based around this problem, but point me in the direction of one if there is.

Cheers

Odinnorse

[Edited on 8-10-2012 by Vice]
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Yeah, that's not a problem I can recall coming up before. It's possible the explosion animation sequence is overloading the available memory, but it would be strange to occur there. Do you hear the sound effect start to play before the crash, or does it occur while the explosion animation is playing and the sound has already played (or mostly played)? Does the behavior change at all if you change the 'Planet Detail' setting in the Options menu to 'Low'? What driver version are you using for your 8400 and have you tried updating it? I may want to take a closer look at your system with a msinfo report, but we'll start with these steps first.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
Odinnorse
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Odinnorse »

The graphics Driver 186.21 and im getting a fully updated message for that.

I only changed the other settings with no apparent difference, so i read what you put and fiddled with the planet detail , on medium it allowed me to actually finish one clear asteroid mission ok , with a couple of stutters when the asteroids exploded , but the second time i only got as few as blowing one up under the same settings. and the sound plays pretty much all the way through with the animation then you get a sharp fps drop and the crash happens.

Im amazed that this is a problem to be honest, its not the most visually audibly spectacular effect that this laptop has dealt with.

if you still would like a little more info il put up a msinfo report.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

I would be interested, yes. Thanks. Send it via e-mail to the address at starwraith.com > contact.

Edit: Follow up, as reported by the user, the problem was solved with a driver update and eliminating background processes. The driver update was the likely fix for the problem though.

[Edited on 8-10-2012 by Vice]
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations