Dedicated Server 2D hard locks computer

For help with SW3DG game related technical issues.
zanetheinsane
Ensign
Ensign

Post by zanetheinsane »

Attempting to run the EvochronMercenaryServer2D version on my server machine:

Core i3-2100T
8 GB Ram
Windows 7 64-bit
Intel Onboard Graphics

The program runs until I attempt to hit the "Connect" button, at which point I get horrible screen artifacts and the computer hard locks, requiring a hard reset (every locks up including mouse/keyboard).

If I set text2.dat to autoconnect then simply running the program will cause this behavior.

I have made sure to update MSVC++ and DirectX.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Does the mouse still respond? What happens with the 3D version of the program?
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
zanetheinsane
Ensign
Ensign

Post by zanetheinsane »

No, the computer completely locks up. The mouse and keyboard no longer work.

The 3D version of the server has the exact same response. As soon as you hit the "connect" button the entire computer locks up and must be hard rebooted.

I have tested both programs on my personal desktop (with the exact same settings) and both of them work perfectly. Both machines are running identical versions of Windows 7 64-bit.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Ok, that rules out any program specific causes. Almost sounds like some kind of device conflict where the network device on that system may not be configured properly, so it binds up everything else when the server program attempts to access it. I'd initially suggest uninstalling and reinstalling the network device to try and reset things. And if it continues, I'd be interested in reviewing the configuration (ignore the step about the pilot profile): http://www.starwraith.com/evochronmercenary/faq.htm#8

Also, if you click on the 'Get Internet IP Address' option, does the same lockup occur?
StarWraith 3D Games
zanetheinsane
Ensign
Ensign

Post by zanetheinsane »

I have emailed a copy of MSINFO's output to Technical Support. Using "Get Internet IP Address" works perfectly from the server with no problems. It fills in the correct external IP in the field.

The server itself normally hosts a Minecraft and Killing Floor server with no problems. I have been shutting these down and only been running the Evochron server during these tests.

The lockup only appears to occur immediately when pressing "Connect" (or when autoconnect is set as an option and the program is run).
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Ok, so it's able to connect out to retrieve the IP address, but not connect to the network device for hosting. Your system looks fine overall, so I'm not sure what might be getting in the way of the connection process. When you shut down the other network tasks, are you certain they are fully disabled and not using any connection resources another network application may need? If there is a router in place, does the behavior change at all if you connect the system directly to the modem and bypass the router?
StarWraith 3D Games
Janus
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Janus »

Just to let you know, I have found that there are times, when a program is (apparantly) shutdown, it will remain in the background. I have had to go to the task manager and end the process on some programs.

In such a case the program has left remnants that are still using resources.

I haven't had to do it with any server programs, but I have had to do it with a couple of other games and once with the Evochron Mercenary client. But then the only server operation experience I've had is with the EM server program and the Freelancer server program.

Hope this helps.

Janus
ADMIN Starport 6
zanetheinsane
Ensign
Ensign

Post by zanetheinsane »

There are definitely no other server processes running except for what is necessary to run Windows. All game servers, MySQL, and Apache services are completely halted.

The most worrisome thing are the graphical artifacts. Basically the server window gets littered with pixels of the various text colors. It's not a lot, maybe two or three dozen scattered across, but there are also artifacts outside of the server window, which should never happen.

I obviously can't take a screenshot of this but when I get back and have access I will attempt to take an actual picture of the monitor to show you what the effect looks like.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

It is sounding more and more like a hardware issue of some kind.
StarWraith 3D Games