EM: Sluggish mouse *FIXED*

For help with SW3DG game related technical issues.
drose25
Ensign
Ensign

Post by drose25 »

Hi,

I just purchased this game and I'm eager to start playing -- it's taking me back to my old Elite on the C64 days, though I haven't met a suicidal auto-pilot yet.

For some reason my mouse is very sluggish in-game. In the original, "optimized resolution" setting it was almost unusable. Increasing the resolution to my native 1920x1080 improved it some, but it's still feeling sluggish and slow.

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

I can't imagine my system specs are related to the problem, but here they are:

AMD Phenom II X6 1055T
16GB RAM
GTX 560 Ti
Win7 Pro x64

Thanks for any tips!

[Edited on 8-10-2012 by Vice]
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

By sluggish, do you mean the rate of movement is too slow or that the response time after input is too slow?

There can be a variety of factors. First, I'd suggest checking your framerate to make sure it's where it should be. Hold the tilde (~) key or scroll lock and note the number in the upper left corner. It should be plenty high on a system like that. If not, then a slow framerate can cause a slow input sample rate for your mouse, resulting is sluggish input response and slower updates.

If the framerate checks out, then look into the mouse's settings (especially if it's a 'gaming' mouse) and see if something there might be effecting the response rate.

[Edited on 7-22-2012 by Vice]
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
drose25
Ensign
Ensign

Post by drose25 »

Thanks for the quick reply! Turns out FPS was horrid in EM so I checked some other games where I knew the typical FPS and they were very reduced as well. Not sure why, but a reboot resolved the issue. Now the mouse is almost too responsive. :D Will tone down the DPI and work on learning the interface.

Did meet a suicidal auto-pilot today, though. Guess targeting a planet and using the auto-pilot is a bad idea. :D At least we don't have to deal with rotation to dock.