Runtime Error 5104

For help with SW3DG game related technical issues.
figment
Ensign
Ensign

Runtime Error 5104

Post by figment »

Purchased Steam version, running on Windows 7 x64 with 4 GB of ram.

First time trying start the tutorial I got the following

---------------------------
Error
Runtime Error 5104 - Could not create memblock at line 12927
OK

Subsequent attempts to start the tutorial would just crash to desktop at 80-90% mark.

I noticed that this game takes a lot of memory. I noticed getting near 1.5 GB before crashing also noticed the game is 32-bit so I figured this is mostly likely due to memory fragmentation and memory requirements.

I've turned on LARGEADDRESSAWARE flag on the executable using editbin (after backing up) and was able to start the tutorial.

So the question I guess is: Does this game have any issues with LARGEADDRESSAWARE (aka 3GB switch) enabled?

Neither steam nor the game seem to have issues with it set at the moment but I dont really want to go down this road too far if I should be doing something else. Should I be doing something else like lowering graphics settings instead?

As an aside I'm having problems with the forums coming and going so not sure if that is because of steam sale or just the server the site is hosted or my own connection.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Runtime Error 5104

Post by Vice »

It should work ok on most setups with the large address aware flag enabled, but it can impact other things running in the background.

Yes, you can lower the graphics settings (Planet Detail being a key setting), but most of the time, the system just needs the task(s)/program(s) running simultaneously that are causing interference to be stopped. Often, it's a security program (refer to the Steam list of interfering programs here: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_art ... -SFLZ-9289 ) and sometimes it's just something else running that is taking away from the main block of memory the game needs to run. Further troubleshooting and solutions are available here: http://www.starwraith.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6595

Yes, the server is under high load at the moment, so access may be intermittent. Should clear up over the next day or two.

[Edited on 7-22-2012 by Vice]
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations