Running The Game In Windowed Mode, Possible?

For help with SW3DG game related technical issues.
Mecingo
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Mecingo »

Is there any possible way to run the game in windowed mode? Also being able to switch from game to my taskbar?
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

The game runs in a 'window' by default, although one that fills the screen. This mode supports various windowed options such as task swapping and taskbar access, but it's recommended that the system's task focus be given to the game under normal operation.

However, with that said, you have a couple of options. If you're just trying to access the task bar, press the Windows key to bring it up.

If you want to reduce the size of the Window, there is a screen text file option, but it may produced undesired/unexpected results depending on system configuration and operating system. Here are the details:

For the new swscreen.txt window options, simply add two more lines to the file with the X and Y screen position you want the game to render the window at. When the game detects these values in the files, it does the following:

1 - Sets the resolution to the value specified in the Options menu.
2 - Activates the reduced window mode taking it from being stretched to fill the screen down to the size selected in the Options menu.
3 - Positions the window at the X and Y values specified in the swscreen.txt file on lines 3 and 4.

So an example swscreen.txt file might look like this:

And this would display the game in a window scaled to the size of the selected resolution and placed on the screen at 512 X and 0 Y.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
Mecingo
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Mecingo »

Thanks Vice!
MrDrooogs
Ensign
Ensign

Post by MrDrooogs »

I feel like an idiot trying to figure this out for an hour, but I can't seem to find swscreen.txt in my computer, and when I make one with the values you specified nothing changes.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Make sure you put the file in the game's install folder, not the save data folder (if they are different). And make sure you don't accidently add another extension to the filename (ie swscreen.txt.txt).
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

:cool: You're required to create some text files yourself. That might be one of them ... if so, you won't find it until you create it.