Menu screen without text labels and runtime error 7008

For help with SW3DG game related technical issues.
Sinbad
Commander
Commander

Post by Sinbad »

Hi,

I've been playing Evochorn Mercenary without any problems but all of a sudden I get several errors coming up:

Started when I tried to load my second pilot profile (pilot1.sw):
"Runtime error 506. Could not load image at line 65659. C:\\Users\\Jamie\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\28888evo\\planetterrain 3-7-18.jpg 10118,1,0"

I went through the steps to solve this error, background programs, available physical memory etc, and finally solved it using the Large Address Aware program. After that everything was fine. Then when I tried to fire my main weapons (Saitek x52 pro) the game suddenly crashed and my computer automatically restarted.

When I tried to run the game again the loading screen showed a red message about not being able to detect the screen resolution, and when the game's main menu came up there was no text on any of the options. The box graphics were still there but without the text labels. So I clicked on the one for "launch" but the game wouldn't finish loading and crashed to desktop with

"Runtime error: 7008. Object does not exist at line 17114. Object not found: 3300"

My screen resolution is 2560x1440. I've been playing before with this resolution without any problem (I had to set the value in the sw.cfg file).

I've tried re-installing the game (latest official build).

Last thing I did was to set again the resolution value in the sw.cfg file, and tried to set the -forceres, both in the target field and again as a blank text file in the game folder but still no change.

I've been trawling the forum for solutions but now I'm stuck! Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

My specs:

3.1GHz quad-core Intel Core i5
1TB (7200 rpm) hard drive
AMD Radeon HD 6970M graphics processor with 1GB of GDDR5 memory
running Windows 7 64bit

Installed physical memory: 4 GB
Available physical memory: 2.7 GB

Universe Explorers Clan
[UE]Sinbad
Clan Leader

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known. - Carl Sagan
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Sounds like one problem led to another. Initially, it sounds like something on your system blocked or used up the lower memory region. I would have suggested you start with whatever security program you are using as it may have been the likely culprit after an automatic update or other related change on the system. The crash and restart sounds like some kind of hardware issue, but since it hasn't happened again, I'd focus on the third event. The last one suggests corrupt or damaged files. The system itself could also be experiencing critical failures (failing memory, hard drive failing, etc). For now, I would suggest launching the game, get to the main menu, then click on Exit immediately (the lower left button in case the text isn't there). This will trigger the game's automatic cleanup routine and may help with any corrupt file issues with the game itself. After that, delete or rename the sw.cfg file in the save data folder, then relaunch the game and test again.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
Sinbad
Commander
Commander

Post by Sinbad »

Thanks Vice! I did exactly what you said and it's working perfectly now!

I guess it's possible the initial problem may have been caused by the anti virus automatic updates. I use Bitdefender which has a "game mode" but in future I'll also disable the autoupdate just in case. With regards to critical system failures I hope that's not the case as I've only had this computer a year, and I don't have problems with other games. I am running windows on a Mac via Bootcamp so I wonder if that might be the reason for memory problems?

Universe Explorers Clan
[UE]Sinbad
Clan Leader

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known. - Carl Sagan
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

If it's not hardware having problems, it's probably just BitDefender, which is known to cause game interference problems (as are others on this Steam list of problematic security programs: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_art ... -SFLZ-9289 ). I may at some point work up a similar list more specific to SW3DG games.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations