Sound Issue

For help with SW3DG game related technical issues.
Austin
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Sound Issue

Post by Austin »

Hi there.

When I run my stand alone copy of EM from C:/sw3dg/EM I encounter this low volume issue. I have to max out my monitor's volume to be able to just barely hear any audio. But if I run EM through Steam, I have no issue at all. It started only a few days ago and I have tried to deal with it, but it is really annoying... especially if I forget to lower my volume after exiting EM :P .

I prefer not to run the game through Steam so as to save on bandwidth plus my mods do not appear when playing through Steam.

Is it something simple I am overlooking, maybe? Thanks.

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1
AMD Athlon 7750 Dual-Core 2.7Ghz
4 GB DDR2
Nvidia GeForce 9600 GT 1gb v8.17.12.8562
Realtek High Definition Audio v6.0.1.6602
All drivers are up to date.

[Edited on 6-10-2012 by Austin]
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Sound Issue

Post by Vice »

Haven't heard of that one before. Are your volumes in the Options menu all set to 100? Can Steam somehow change your WAV output volume in Windows when it is active? What does your Windows wav/master volume slider show when Steam is running and when it is not?
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
Austin
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Sound Issue

Post by Austin »

Music/effects are set to 100 and voices are on. I'm not sure if Steam can do that but I don't believe it can. Other games ran through Steam or other games not on Steam work fine. My windows master volume is maxed, as I perfer to adjust volume through my monitor.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling EM to no avail. Worst comes to worst, how can I get my mods to run when playing through Steam?
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Sound Issue

Post by Vice »

Just place them in the Steam install folder -> steamapps/common/evochron mercenary However, keep in mind that running Steam at the same time will likely increase the memory load on your system, which is an important consideration in case you are working with high memory resource mods.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
Austin
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Sound Issue

Post by Austin »

Thank you Vice! My mods are working. On a side note, apparently I can run EM , with working audio, using the .exe in the Steam folder without needing to start Steam :) I am totally puzzled why the sound goes uber low when using the .exe from the sw3dg folder but now it's a non issue. Many thanks!