Won't Even Start - Resolution Error

For help with SW3DG game related technical issues.
joker1231978
Ensign
Ensign

Post by joker1231978 »

I've been trying to at least play the demo. This game looks like something I'd like.

It installs just fine. When I click the icon to start the game, I get Error 164: Unable to display 640x480x16. There is no sw.cfg file to be found after the install. I'm thinking the game has to launch first for it to be created.

I'm pretty sure it has to do with my monitor setup. I don't use a monitor per say. I use a Samsung 8000 series 55" 3D LED television via HDMI from my computer. PC specs well above minimum. I only have two resolutions to pick for my desktop. Basically, they are either 720p (1280x720)or 1080p (1920x1080). I run the 1280x720 because it's easier to read. Again, I'm pretty sure the issue is here, but no clue on how proceed.

On a side note, the ATI card is listing my tv in the Control Center, but the actual driver says Generic PnP Monitor. Since it's technically a tv, there's probably not going to be a specific monitor driver for it.

Thanks!
joker
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

I've sent you a link via e-mail with a custom build of the game to try and instructions. It may require a different build of the game specifically configured for your display setup.

On a related note, is your desktop displayed at that resolution? If so, then the problem might simply be that whatever setup is being used is not reporting back through DirectX that the selected desktop resolution is available as a 3D resolution, resulting in a default attempt by the game to activate the minimum 640X480 mode. So another step you can try is the command line directive -forceres (or create a text file in the game's install folder named forceres.txt). That will force the game to attempt to use whatever selected desktop resolution is picked up. And if that fails, we can also try a pre-built sw.cfg file that I've attached to this post. It needs to be placed in the save data folder for testing, default location is c:\\sw3dg\\EvochronMercenary Leave the -forceres directive in place when testing with this file.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
joker1231978
Ensign
Ensign

Post by joker1231978 »

That .exe did the trick.

Demo up and running!

Thanks!
Maarschalk