EM game crashes on multiplayer

For help with SW3DG game related technical issues.
JackBlades
Ensign
Ensign

Post by JackBlades »

First of all I'm really trying to love this game. I think it should be great. I just haven't really gotten to play it is all.

Here's the scoop:
Windows 7
4Gigs Ram (evochron has never passed the 3gig usage mark)
nvidia geforce gts250

I have played the game in singleplayer just fine. When I go to play multiplayer I get to about 98% - 100% and the game crashes. Half the time it crashes without an error message. Sometimes I can get into the multiplayer game but it will crash a few seconds after play.

I am using Avast! but steam and evochron have been added to the exclusion list. I have also tried it with Avast!'s shields down, meaning off.

I have no unnecessary processes running.

My graphics drivers are the up to date (I just checked).

I have run the program in the typical "Evochron chokes at x%" thread on this forums and can run all of the option successfully except for the last one, #4.

Any ideas? I've never had an issue like this before
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Sounds like interference, which can happen at different points in multiplayer versus single player since the resource loads are a little different for each mode. Are you running an HP system? If you'd like me to review your setup for possible causes, follow the steps here: http://www.starwraith.com/evochronmercenary/faq.htm#8
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
JackBlades
Ensign
Ensign

Post by JackBlades »

Edit: Ok I just sent it

[Edited on 4-28-2012 by JackBlades]
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Post by Maarschalk »

Hi JackBlades, Welcome to the game and forum!.....Hope to see you out there some time, once you get it working for MP!.....;):cool:
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

Evochron Mercenary Stats:

Darkness is the absence of Light as Evil is the absence of Good
JackBlades
Ensign
Ensign

Post by JackBlades »

Hey everyone. I figured out what my issue was.
The problem is that I was trying to play it through steam. I had 1.9g memory available to my games (thanks to Vice for telling me so).

On everything here is states 1.2g memory should be enough to play.

That is for the game by itself. The Steam overlay ads another X amount of memory needed to play.

I have been able to run the game flawlessly by just running the .exe in the steam folders.

Vice: maybe this should be on the FAQ's? If it is I'm sorry that I missed it! Again thank you for helping me figure it out.

[Edited on 5-2-2012 by JackBlades]
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

You could probably include any other running programs into the category of 'background tasks'. However, I wouldn't expect that the Steam overlay would make that much of a difference, unless it's right at the limit and the overlay adds just enough memory overhead to exceed the limit available on your system. Just as something else to try, see if the behavior changes if you launch Steam itself with the 'Run as administrator' option. Do you travel planetside much? If not, try changing the planet detail setting to 'Low' and see if the behavior changes.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
JackBlades
Ensign
Ensign

Post by JackBlades »

OK I did some more testing.

First of all I just now got some new memory installed bringing my count up to 8g. I am running steam as an administrator.

I have turned all graphics settings to low.

I can play single player just fine when starting the game through steam. I cannot, however, play multiplayer while using steam. I do not have any unnecessary background applications running.

I can play multiplayer when I run evochron through the .exe though without any problems. I have been playing multiplayer through the .exe fine for the past few days.