Is it possible to run this game on an Acer Aspire One D257-13478 Netbook?

For help with SW3DG game related technical issues.
Discord
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Discord »

I have a nice gaming laptop at home that lets me run at maxes but I would also like to play on my netbook while at college.

Specs:
Intel Atom N455 1.66 GHZ
2 GB DDR3 RAM

Tried running it but I keep getting an error:\\
"Runtime error 1507 - Display using 32 bit is not supported by available hardware at line 0"

I only expect to be able to play on minimums, which I think my netbook will handle since it can do TF2 on minimums.

Thanks to any mercenaries who can help!
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

That error indicates that your system reported back to DirectX that the selected default resolution (likely your desktop resolution) is not available as a 3D mode. This can happen for a number of reasons, but often with laptops/netbooks, it can be caused by using a particular driver not specific to that computer. Sometimes with laptops, the manufacturer’s driver set includes some options/features more in line with the specific hardware feature set of the computer. This can include the 'monitor' display device where if it's not set up correctly with the GPU driver, may return an unavailable or incorrect mode.

So the first step I'd suggest is to check the driver you are using. You can try rolling it back. Go to Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Device Manager > Display Adapters, then right click on the display adapter and click on Properties. Click on the driver tab, then select the ‘Roll Back Driver’ button if it’s available (you can update the driver again later as desired). See if the previous display driver behaves any differently. Another step to try is the official display driver available from Acer for that system.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
Discord
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Discord »

Hmm, still won't work even when I rolled back the driver. The problem is that the netbook comes pre-equipped with inter graphics accelerator as its driver. I tried rolling back to the generic windows 7 graphics driver but that didn't work either.

Edit: If anyone knows of any alternative drivers that might work, that would be awesome.

[Edited on 5-1-2012 by Discord]
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Have you tried or are you using the driver available on this page:

http://www.acer.co.uk/ac/en/GB/content/drivers

It's dated 4-26-2011, so if you're not already using it, it'd be a step to try.
StarWraith 3D Games
Discord
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Discord »

Hmm, tried that, as well as updating the BIOS. I'm going to try asking the yahoo answers community. Perhaps this game just won't run on my little acer aspire. Which is fine because I do have a larger laptop at home.
Discord
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Discord »

Oh, trying one more thing: Completely restoring the netbook to factory defaults. The driver install was giving an error and so I figure if it could ever be capable of starting the game, factory defaults will do it.
Discord
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Discord »

Oh well, I guess I won't be able to play it on my netbook. It doesn't have dedicated gfx memory anyways so it wouldn't work well.
light487
Ensign
Ensign

Post by light487 »

Is it possible to run this game with a command line to set the resolution? If you can or if there is a settings file that you can change, you migth be able to get around this error by forcing the resolution the game uses to a resolution your netbook is able to display.
Discord
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Discord »

From post: 136482, Topic: tid=9240, author=light487 wrote:Is it possible to run this game with a command line to set the resolution? If you can or if there is a settings file that you can change, you migth be able to get around this error by forcing the resolution the game uses to a resolution your netbook is able to display.
I'll definitely look into it once I get my netbook's drivers back up to date.
Discord
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Discord »

Ok, got my drivers back up. Does anyone know of a way to force a certain resolution? I'm going to try messing with the steam launch options.

Edit: -w 1024 -h 600 (native resolution for my netbook) is not working.

[Edited on 5-3-2012 by Discord]
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

To force the game to attempt to use a resolution, select the resolution in the Options menu, then use the -forceres command line directive (or include a file named forceres.txt in the game's install folder). This will force the game to use the resolution even if it's not reported through DirectX as a compatible resolution. If your native desktop resolution is not available in the Options menu, then it's a sign the drivers are not reporting that it is available and to try this procedure, you'll need to manually edit the sw.cfg file and in the first line enter 1024X600 (with a capital X).
StarWraith 3D Games
Discord
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Discord »

Sw.cfg, where is that? I tried creating one and putting the line in there but it didn't work. Also I can't access the options menu since the game won't launch.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Ah yes, you're right, I think I got this confused with someone else's Windowed resolution issue. If you can't get the desktop resolution to enable as a 3D resolution, then there won't be a way to make such changes. Contact me via e-mail with a msinfo report on your system ( http://www.starwraith.com/evochronmercenary/faq.htm#8 ) and I might be able to put together a custom binary of the game that could work with your setup. Just keep in mind though that your system does not meet the minimum requirements of the game, so even if it activates, it may still not work correctly or run very well.
StarWraith 3D Games
Discord
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Discord »

Wow, this is some pretty excellent support ^w^ alright, sending you the file.

Also, I don't expect to run the game super well, I mostly just want to be able to play/show my friends at college.

[Edited on 5-4-2012 by Discord]
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

I've compiled the custom build and e-mailed you the link. It may not work, but it's worth a try.
StarWraith 3D Games
Discord
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Discord »

It works! Thank you! One more question, how can I modify a file in order to set the game's graphics to the absolute minimums? The game launches but the main menu/options menu has no text on the buttons, so I won't be able to know if I'm setting graphics detail to "high" or "low", which might cause problems.

EDIT: Nevermind, found the problem and fixed it. I had forceres still in the directory.

Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

I'm glad it works, hopefully it is playable on that system :)
StarWraith 3D Games
Discord
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Discord »

Thread can be shut down now, best customer support I've ever seen!

Also, just gave it a run on single player, got around 10-15 fps once I got out of the carrier. I think I might be avoiding planet landings and nebula clouds on my netbook but other than that it is very playable, and no major graphical glitches! ^w^