kicked by server

For help with SW3DG game related technical issues.
Capt_Caveman
Commander
Commander

kicked by server

Post by Capt_Caveman »

every now and then my private server (3d v1.828) will "kick" all players
in the log it says the players were kicked but does not
say why and i dont see a reason when it happens. all can log back in
with no problem, then all is good for up to a week or more.

my question is; what triggers the server to kick 1 or all players?
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

kicked by server

Post by Vice »

Kicking generally only happens with connection issues or cheating (and your description indicates a connection issue).

For signal loss, it can be intermittent and caused by connection signal quality problems or a reliability issue with the ISP hosting the connection. If the connection is dropped intermittently, the lost signal can result in a backlog of data packets or lost packets entirely, resulting in the server program dropping the offending connection(s)/player(s). And with your description, it sounds like the problem might simply be a rare intermittent signal loss issue with the server's connection.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
Capt_Caveman
Commander
Commander

kicked by server

Post by Capt_Caveman »

my friends are connected from external ip and im connected via lan and we all get kicked at the same time
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

kicked by server

Post by Vice »

Might be the router dropping the signal momentarily then.
StarWraith 3D Games
Janus
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

kicked by server

Post by Janus »

Just had it do the same for 2 players on mine. Chronic was one of them. I was watching the Console and both were kicked with out explanation. Good to know it's not something I was doing.

Janus
ADMIN Starport 6
Capt_Caveman
Commander
Commander

kicked by server

Post by Capt_Caveman »

I still would like to know what triggers the program to "kick player"
what is the server monitoring that makes the server decide to kick a player ?
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

kicked by server

Post by Vice »

For the server operator, what is the number in parenthesis displayed after the player name when they are kicked? That will indicate the reason. Most of the time, it is due to a packet 'burst' from one or more clients (as described above). It is a protection mechanism to aid in preventing cheating and server attacks. Here are a couple of causes:

1 - The server's connection drops momentarily or is interrupted. Could be ISP reliability problems, sudden unrelated traffic spike, or hardware (ie router/modem). If the connection drops, the signal is lost and there can be a backlog of packets built up that exceed the limit allowed by the server program for protection reasons. When/if the connection is re-established, the packet burst is detected and any that exceed the limit are dropped. An indicator this is the cause would be if more than one client is kicked at the same time.

2 - A client's connection drops momentarily or is interrupted. Can also be for the same causes listed above. Say for example, the connection is shared and someone else using the connection decides to download video or play another game, hindering the performance of the connection for the player and potentially causing performance spikes, delays, and interruptions. An indicator this is the cause would be if only one player is kicked.

3 - The system itself is interrupted by an external program/task such as a screen saver, sleep/hibernate mode, or other program starting an 'updating' process.

To prevent problems like this, follow these steps:

1 - Do not use wireless connections for multiplayer gaming. Always connect to your router/modem via ethernet.

2 - Make sure your connection isn't used for other activities that could interrupt the multiplayer traffic.

3 - Make sure any sleep/hibernate modes are not enabled and no other programs running in the background will auto-update or launch while the game is running.

4 - Do not swap programs while the server program is running. Don't move the window around or otherwise interrupt the server program while it is running (at least while players are connected and playing).

If a dropped connection situation does occur, the game will prompt any clients to go ahead and save. If the connection issue isn't long-term, players can usually just sign back in right away and continue from where they left off.
StarWraith 3D Games
Capt_Caveman
Commander
Commander

kicked by server

Post by Capt_Caveman »

thanx for the info
From post: 134625, Topic: tid=9080, author=Vice wrote:For the server operator, what is the number in parenthesis displayed after the player name when they are kicked?
is there an error code list avail ?
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

kicked by server

Post by Vice »

A number just indicates the limit that was exceeded. For most other functions, the server will provide a description of the event.
StarWraith 3D Games