Evochron not running on maximum settings

For help with SW3DG game related technical issues.
James009
Ensign
Ensign

Post by James009 »

- Evochron Mercenary 1.728
- AMD Phenom II X6 1090T
- Windows 7 64-bit
- 4096MB RAM
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580
- Having a runtime error 506 upon almost completely loading a game, either in single-player or multiplayer. This is reproducible even on other character profiles. I have attempted to turn down graphics, I've increased priority of the application via task manager, I've re-verified the game via STEAM (where it was purchased).

Out of options and can't play :(
I'd appreciate any help I can get. Thanks!

PS Screenshot attached.

[file]527[/file]

[Edited on 3-4-2012 by Vice]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Looks like something running in the background is blocking the game from loading an image file into memory right at about the 300 MB mark. That's actually pretty low, usually interference like that occurs in the higher regions around 500-700 MB. Should be fixable though, I'd suggest the steps outlined in this post: http://www.starwraith.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6595
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
49rTbird
Captain
Captain

Post by 49rTbird »

Hello James009, welcome to the forum and the Sim.:)
Explore! Explore! Explore! \"There is no going back (Yet) so Make Today Count!
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Post by Maarschalk »

Hi James009, welcome to the game and forum. Hope to see you out there some time when you get it working. Also make sure all files and folders are in the right place and no mods installed.....;)
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

Evochron Mercenary Stats:

Darkness is the absence of Light as Evil is the absence of Good
James009
Ensign
Ensign

Post by James009 »

Thanks for the feedback. The funny thing is that this is only a recent issue. I'd been playing online on the United Systems Server (I think) and have only recently been having troubles.

Updated video cards, disable anti-virus (MS Essentials), changed priority, changed processor affinity, verified install with STEAM, restarted... no luck.

Hopefully today the problem will have been fixed by the little computer gnomes.

EDIT: Trying the +2GB fix via CFF Explorer. That usually fixes problems with games.

[Edited on 1-19-2012 by James009]
Brady
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Brady »

Please let us know how this goes, as I have a couple of friends with this same error.
Brady
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Brady »

ahh we figured it.

Turn off V-sync in graphics options. Then she runs fine.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

This is also something I am looking into, should be possible to allow things to work on such systems with VSync enabled or disabled. The changes for this will be incorporated into the next update.
StarWraith 3D Games
Snelling
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Snelling »

I am having the same problems... I have disabled Anti Virus and firewall completely

i7 2600k
16 GB Ram
SLi GTX 580

Doubt its my ram space lol
Snelling
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Snelling »

Forgot to mention I have Win 7 Ultimate x64
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Post by Maarschalk »

Hi Snelling welcome to the game and forum. Did you turn off V-sync as that seems to be the solution as posted a few post up?......;):cool:
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

Evochron Mercenary Stats:

Darkness is the absence of Light as Evil is the absence of Good
VxKhamulxV
Ensign
Ensign

Post by VxKhamulxV »

Hello everyone, as the title suggests, my game is crashing when I attempt to try Multiplayer.

I was able to run the tutorial without it crashing (although I had a weird bug where I was unable to scroll up/down the tutorial text without the bar freaking out on me and taking me to the very top/bottom of the dialogue.) My problem is with the multiplayer component.

This happens when both I attempt to host, or join other games; the game crashes at 99% or 100% is what I would like to say. Here is the error I receive:

"Runtime Error 506- Could not load image at line 66299.
CWD:c:\\program files (x86)\\steam/steamapps\\common\\evochron mercenary LOAD IMAGE
C:\\Users\\JUSTIN~1\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\z8888evo\\planetdetail1.capright.dds,12,091,0,0"

The exact files that cannot be loaded alternate, one time before it was BANNER instead of planet detail, but they are all in the local appdata folder.

What could cause this? I know the folder is "temp"--I do have my internet settings to delete all cookies and clear history upon closing my browser, disregard if this is not related.

Other than that, I have the steam client version (as you can see), 6 gigs of ram, Nvidia 480 GTX, Windows 7 64 bit..I use Nortan Internet Security as well. Also I use a razor keyboard/mouse. This is all I can really think of that might cause issues (The Razor Mouse caused scrolling issues VERY very similar to what I am experiencing here with the game 'Sins of a Solar Empire'.)

If I could get some help with this i'd greatly appreciate it! :)
VxKhamulxV
Ensign
Ensign

Post by VxKhamulxV »

Hey there! Started my own thread but i'm literally getting the exact same problem, although I was at least able to load the tutorial. Unrelated, but I also am experiencing a very frustrating scrolling issues when I attempted to re-read the tutorial text (as soon as I highlighted the scroll bar on the upper left text panel, it would freak out and either fly and stick to the very top or bottom, and not move.) Anyway, Here is my received error:

"Runtime Error 506- Could not load image at line 66299.
CWD:c:\\program files (x86)\\steam/steamapps\\common\\evochron mercenary LOAD IMAGE
C:\\Users\\JUSTIN~1\\AppData\\Local\\Temp\\z8888evo\\planetdetail1.capright.dds,12,091,0,0"

I have the steam client version (as you can see), 6 gigs of ram, Nvidia 480 GTX, Windows 7 64 bit..I use Nortan Internet Security as well. Also I use a razor keyboard/mouse. This is all I can really think of that might cause issues (The Razor Mouse caused scrolling issues VERY very similar to what I am experiencing here with the game 'Sins of a Solar Empire'.)
49rTbird
Captain
Captain

Post by 49rTbird »

I am not sure of what is causing your particular problem but error 506 happens to me at time when I have done a lot of other things on my computer then try to run the game. At times I reboot the computer which tends to free up resources and that seems to work. Good luck.
Explore! Explore! Explore! \"There is no going back (Yet) so Make Today Count!
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Indeed, the Razor might be inputting some twitchy control. I also use a variant of the Razor mouse and when a little hair or fuzz gets on the lens, that kind of thing can happen. Check to see if it's dirty.

Error 506 (likely during the loading phase?) is generally resource blocking and on your system, it's possible Norton is the cause. I'd suggest going through the steps in the loading error thread and temporarily try alternatives to test for changes: http://www.starwraith.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6595

These errors are usually fixable, as long as the system meets the minimum requirements, which yours certainly does.
StarWraith 3D Games
VxKhamulxV
Ensign
Ensign

Post by VxKhamulxV »

From post: 124965, Topic: tid=8446, author=Vice wrote: Indeed, the Razor might be inputting some twitchy control. I also use a variant of the Razor mouse and when a little hair or fuzz gets on the lens, that kind of thing can happen. Check to see if it's dirty.

Error 506 (likely during the loading phase?) is generally resource blocking and on your system, it's possible Norton is the cause. I'd suggest going through the steps in the loading error thread and temporarily try alternatives to test for changes: http://www.starwraith.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6595

These errors are usually fixable, as long as the system meets the minimum requirements, which yours certainly does.
Hello Vice, thank you for getting back to me! :)

And you are correct, the error comes up right at around 99%; the client is able to load until it is nearly complete and then this sadly happens. I've attempted to enable/disable vertical sync both in game and through my nvidia control panel; still nothing i'm afraid.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Yeah, I doubt it's a vsync issue on your system, I'd focus on what is running in the background. And in the meantime, since it reaches 99%, you can probably get it to work by lowering the memory overhead with the 'Medium' setting for Planet Detail in the Options menu.
StarWraith 3D Games
VxKhamulxV
Ensign
Ensign

Post by VxKhamulxV »

Medium Planet Detail shows no improvements either unfortunately; still crashing at 99%. Hrm...

Edit: Single player seems to be working perfectly fine with Planet Detail on Ultra. Multiplayer appears to be the only component affected.

[Edited on 1-21-2012 by VxKhamulxV]
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Also try dropping it to Low to see if it changes.
StarWraith 3D Games
VxKhamulxV
Ensign
Ensign

Post by VxKhamulxV »

Well, I have narrowed it down, both the graphics and planetary detail must be set on low; and then I am able to join multiplayer servers without crashing.

Is there a fix for this in the works, by chance? It's a little upsetting to have invested in a gaming machine and be forced to play on minimal settings..and it seems that there's a good portion of people affected by this.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Well, I have narrowed it down, both the graphics and planetary detail must be set on low; and then I am able to join multiplayer servers without crashing.

Is there a fix for this in the works, by chance? It's a little upsetting to have invested in a gaming machine and be forced to play on minimal settings..
The only effective fix for it would be to make the low detail levels standard or required to reduce the memory needed, which wouldn't be a good solution for those with systems that can handle the higher graphics details and the memory requirements that go along with them.

The good news is that it's almost always fixable as long as you have enough installed memory to make room for the graphics the game is trying to load. What is required is to locate exactly what it is on your system that is blocking the game from loading that media into memory. It's almost always something else running in the background (often security related) that is blocking consecutive available memory.

You can sometimes gauge where the interference is occuring by how far into the loading phase the game is getting (can vary based on settings and in-game location):

0-30% Image loading sequence - > ~300-400 MB
30-50% Building universe sequence - > ~400-600 MB
50-80% "" - > ~600-700 MB
80-90% Loading ship data sequence - > ~700-800 MB
90-100% Cockpit and Initializing - > 800-900 MB

If your system can make it to the 80-100% range before an error is displayed, you may be close enough that details such as Planet and Graphics can be changed to lower settings that allow the loading phase to finish. If it stops before then, the interference will need to be stopped before the game will be able to load. So if your system reaches the upper region of the loading phase, finding the source of intereference and stopping it will generally let you load and play the game with full details.
and it seems that there's a good portion of people affected by this.
It is pretty surprising just how many PC's are limited by software running on them. Some gamers aren't even aware there is a potential problem until they try to play a high resource game like this one. But reviewing Windows error logs and seeing long lists of faulting apps, crashing games, and other system stability issues/entries illustrates the problems can effect a lot more than just a game or two.

If you'd like me to review your system for possible causes, just follow the steps here: http://www.starwraith.com/evochronmercenary/faq.htm#8
StarWraith 3D Games
Vivicector
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Vivicector »

Hello,

I am having a problem with the game. It crashes immediately after loading if graphic detail settings are set to high or medium. It runs with low detail setting though. However, my PC is fine enough to run Crysis on high FPS, fine with Battlefield 3 also.

Win7 Ultimate x64
NV GTX260 core 216
4 GB DDR-2 Samsung
HDD has 20 and 29 GB free on two logical drives.
Intel C2D E8400 3 GHz.

It is quite old, but should deal with Evochron. What can be a reason of such behaviour?
Frankachino
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Frankachino »

I have a computer that would be considered by most pretty powerful. I run Crysis 2 at a consistant 60FPS, yet I'm having the same exact issues...

I really want to give this game a fair shot...

Any soultions to this, other than adding hardware? Considering I have almost 8 gigs, with virtually nothing running in the backround, I'm fairly certain this is not the issue.

Awesome game though, from what I've been able to experience thus far.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

When reporting problems and asking for support, please always indicate which build of the game you are running. One cause for an error 50X in the shipyard was actually a game bug that was fixed a several weeks ago and hasn't been reported since. Other causes and solutions for the game not being able to load media files are available here:

http://www.starwraith.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6595

If you've tried those solutions and the problem still persists (which is almost always due to interference cause by something else running on the system), you can have me review your configuration for possible causes by following the steps here: http://www.starwraith.com/evochronmercenary/faq.htm#8

Once the cause of the intereference is found, removing it's memory block(s) (whether caused by a setting or a running background program) will usually solve the problem.

[Edited on 3-4-2012 by Vice]
StarWraith 3D Games
reynolds83
Ensign
Ensign

Post by reynolds83 »

hi i just bought the game and i am also getting this run time error. It loads up to 82% and then crash to desktop. Not much running in back round only steam and AVG. It did load once in single player but crashed when i docked in the station with the runtime 506 error cant load image... etc. Disable vsync did not work.

I have windows 7-64bit, i7 920 processor, gtx 570 and 6 gig of ram.
A fix would be nice cant wait to play looks cool but dont want to play on low settings.