My First Experience

Tips, tactics, and general discussion for Evochron Legacy.
zonaiko
Ensign
Ensign

My First Experience

Post by zonaiko »

I see a lot of posts from people who are still deciding whether or not to purchase the game. So I figured I'd share my first two weeks' experience with the game after purchasing it. Granted, I'm still a newbie, and I'm kind of on a furlough right now, but I intend to jump back into this game as soon as time will allow. I'm also trying to talk some friends into playing with me.

So, my girlfriend and I had just purchased the game, and we jumped right into a our own LAN multiplayer game. We spent many hours simply mining asteroids, then the moons when we discovered that was much easier. Then doing the random missions on our way out to mine.

Eventually, we got to the point where we had upgraded our ships as far as we could in the Sapphire system, and we were ready to follow the storyline into the next system. At this point, we hadn't even encountered our first combat situation, and we were having tons of fun exploring, mining, doing random missions, making money, and upgrading our ships.

It's a good thing we upgraded our ships with the best frames, shields, and weapons, because as soon as we jumped to the next system, we were immediately ambushed by hostile ships, and we hadn't had any combat practice at all.

Three ships were already coming at us while our IDS slowed us back down to normal flight speed. I veered to the right to engage two ships, and Quinnia veered to the left to confront the other.

We were yelling out our combat status and how well we were faring. But within half a minute into the fight, she accidentally engaged her jump drive and disappeared from the skirmish.

I had just released my first Rockeye missile, and after having taken down my foe's shields with my beam weapon, it obliterated him completely. As I propelled through the burning wreckage of his ship, I disengaged IDS, swiveled around to focus on the other ship pummeling my rear shields, and distributed my shield energy equally to all arrays.

As I was drifting backwards with inertia, preparing for the other ship to get into weapon range and planning my strategy, Quinnia's target had turned back and was pursuing me from my starboard side. Crap, I had forgotten about him. I checked my shields. After equalizing, they were at about 75%. I considered diverting more power into shields, but I knew without adequate firepower, I wouldn't be able to take these two down. Frantic, I called for Quinnia's help, but she responded she was still making her way back to our location, but couldn't find it. I didn't have time to check my navmap for coordinates, so I just hoped for the best.

I turned my view around to the incoming ship that she'd been engaging and targeted it. Its shields hadn't recovered yet! I immediately burst my thrusters directly toward it, firing a barrage of beam and particle weapons. My second Rockeye missile screamed toward its cockpit just as my horizontal thrusters propelled me away from its return fire and the inevitable explosion as my missile made contact. I didn't have time to check if he was dispatched, though, because I was was already taking heavy fire from my port side. My shields had almost failed by the time I noticed.

I equalized my shields and engaged IDS at the same time while searching for my other target. He sped past me as IDS got me back to a straight flight path, and I made a wide arc to engage this last target head-on. My shields were at 25% now equally, and I was out of missiles. My weapons energy hadn't fully recharged either. As our ships made their approach, I figured there wasn't much I could do except hold my breath and squeeze the trigger.

As the first (and probably my final) exchange of fire began to ensue, my enemy's ship was suddenly deluged with a spray of energy blasts from his starboard side. Within milliseconds of the onslaught, a Viper missile drilled into his weakened side, exploding his ship before he could fire off more than a few rounds at me.

Quinnia had found her way back, and she destroyed the remaining ship seconds before I would surely meet my demise. (Who said the girl couldn't save the day? True story, too!)

Quickly communicating coordinates, we jumped out of there before anymore enemy ships arrived.

We went back to mining for a while after that. :D
Dingo
Commander
Commander

My First Experience

Post by Dingo »

well-written. Stories are always great because a feature list alone just doesn't cut it for this game. Welcome to the forum and the sim.
Life is an illusion. Only shooting red things is real.
SeeJay
Captain
Captain

My First Experience

Post by SeeJay »

Hi and welcome.

Great story. I could almost smell your adrenaline in that fight;)

Join MP for even more thrilling and fun coop contracts. Great fun indeed.
(You know that you and your girlfriend can hook up as Pilot/Gunner together?)
\"Nothing is impossible, it only takes a bit longer!\"
\"We are not retreating, we are advancing in another direction!\"

http://evochron.junholt.se (Old)
http://www.evochron2.junholt.se (New)
http://mercenary.junholt.se (Map)
http://www.junholt.se/evoschool/index.htm (No spoilers)
-8- Bzzzzzzzzz! -8- -8-
Sinbad
Commander
Commander

My First Experience

Post by Sinbad »

Hi Zonaiko, welcome to Evochron!

That's a great tale of adventure! You're lucky to have a girlfriend that shares your interest... many of us here have to find ways of hopping into Evochron without incurring that infamous female wrath. Can you imagine... they think this is only a game!

:cool:

Universe Explorers Clan
[UE]Sinbad
Clan Leader

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known. - Carl Sagan
Flash
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

My First Experience

Post by Flash »

Very cool you had me sitting on the edge of my seat. Welcome hope to see you soon in MP

DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

My First Experience

Post by DaveK »

Hi Zonaiko

Hope to see you in MP soon

:)
Callsign: Incoming
Life is like a sewer... what you get out of it depends on what you put into it. - Bob Newhart
Hell is being in a pure platinum asteroid field... with a diamond mining beam
ImageImage
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

My First Experience

Post by Marvin »

From post: 119129, Topic: tid=8121, author=SeeJay wrote:(You know that you and your girlfriend can hook up as Pilot/Gunner together?)
:o I shan't ask the obvious (ribald) question. (Devil get behind me.)
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

My First Experience

Post by Maarschalk »

Hi Zonaiko, welcome to the game and forum to the both of you!....Hope to see you and your girlfriend out there some time....By the way, cool story.....;):P:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

Evochron Mercenary Stats:

Darkness is the absence of Light as Evil is the absence of Good
shepard_3
Ensign
Ensign

My First Experience

Post by shepard_3 »

Wow, great story indeed. Very interesting.

[Edited on 9-11-2011 by shepard_3]
Busch
Captain
Captain

My First Experience

Post by Busch »

Well done!! Welcome aboard Zonaiko and GF !
Commander
[SW] Clan Squadron Lead - Retired
Call Sign: Busch
zonaiko
Ensign
Ensign

My First Experience

Post by zonaiko »

Thanks, everyone! I hope to be joining multiplayer with the girlfriend and a coworker soon, but we'll see. :) I'm not sure how interested they are still.

As for the pilot/gunner comment, yeah, we tried that once. I think it'll take some getting used to. (No, not THAT, Marvin. :D)

By the way, my friend was asking about mods, and what all could be done with them. Is there a clan website that has a collection of works that he/we could look at?

Thanks again. :)
Busch
Captain
Captain

My First Experience

Post by Busch »

Check the Mods thread here, Zonaiko. SeeJay has a few on his site. There are a lot of really talented people who've done some great work. They've shared it with all who fly here. See what you can find. Use what you like, that works for you. Really cool stuff. ;) :cool::cool:
Commander
[SW] Clan Squadron Lead - Retired
Call Sign: Busch
Shieldwolf
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

My First Experience

Post by Shieldwolf »

woof..... welcome Zoniako.