Problem with my X52 setup

Tips, tactics, and general discussion for Evochron Legacy.
Galanthos
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Galanthos »

So, I just started Evochron Mercenary, and I've set up my X52 using Saitek's profile editor. I mapped the default keyboard keys to the buttons I wanted (because that tends to work better when you start using some of the X52's nicer features.)

But I'm running into a minor problem. The X52 has a "mode selector" that I am using to squeeze a few more situational key-bindings out of my buttons. The problem is that the mode select seems to count as a button press.

So, the problem becomes that if I have Alt-B bound to a key in mode 2 or mode 3 the program sees it as hitting 3 buttons at once, and it makes a rather unpleasant windows-error noise. So, does anyone know how to make Evochron ignore the buttons?
MMaggio
Captain
Captain

Post by MMaggio »

You must use the Saitek Smart Technology program to write your own program.
\"To kill hubris with humility is a goal rarely achieved by men\"
Galanthos
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Galanthos »

Right, sorry, let me explain in a bit more detail.

I have used the Saitek SST to design a profile for the game. However, while I am in the game and I press a joystick button, it seems that the keys that I have bound to the button, as well as the hidden mode-select button, (and possibly also the button I am pressing itself) are registering as being pressed, causing either the program, or windows, to make a noise due to too many keypresses at once.

I experienced a similar problem with Egosoft's X3. It is a known issue with that game, there is a FAQ entry about it here.

Their explanation on why this happens is a bit vague, but apparently it is a directX issue? It seems they have introduced a work-around into their program.

All in all, it doesn't seem like this is a game-breaking issue. It just means I encounter an annoying error sound with some common key-presses. It seems like a few people here use the X52 though, so I thought maybe someone had encountered this problem, and found a solution/workaround.
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Post by Maarschalk »

Hi Galanthos, welcome to the game and forum. Are you using the regular X52 or the X52 Pro?
In the profile editor there is a test tool to test wich buttons are pressed when you press a button on your X52 or which keys are activated when you move the Joystick, throtle etc....if you have any keys assigned to them.
It is called "test profile" in the right hand corner and it looks like a wheel with teeth! Also make sure that when you run the profile no buttons are activated like the throttle if any asigned to the throttle. You have to make sure throtle is set to 0 and all thrusters control are set to 0 and shields controls centered....etc. till you get in the game.
Because once you have the profile running out side the game windows registers certain X52 buttons as key presses! Hope this helps!....;):cool:
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

Evochron Mercenary Stats:

Darkness is the absence of Light as Evil is the absence of Good
Galanthos
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Galanthos »

I have the regular X52, not the pro. I'll need to apologize though. I did a little bit of testing (unplugged the joystick), and I think I might have jumped the gun on the X52 being the problem. Even keyboard inputs of ALT and any other key were giving me the same noise. So I looked for other culprits, and it was actually seemed to have been my settings.

For some reason, my screen setting in the game was set to locked (which I do not need) and it seems like that was causing the sound whenever I hit ALT and any other key. Or at least, changing that back to Optimized fixed the problem. I was a little quick to blame the X52, because I have a history of having to troubleshoot it with just about every new game I use it with. I'll make sure to apologize to it, and treat it nice as we play.

Thank you everyone for being so quick and helpful!
SeeJay
Captain
Captain

Post by SeeJay »

Welcome Galanthos.

Great that you got it working. Hope to see you in MP.
\"Nothing is impossible, it only takes a bit longer!\"
\"We are not retreating, we are advancing in another direction!\"

http://evochron.junholt.se (Old)
http://www.evochron2.junholt.se (New)
http://mercenary.junholt.se (Map)
http://www.junholt.se/evoschool/index.htm (No spoilers)
-8- Bzzzzzzzzz! -8- -8-
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Post by Maarschalk »

Glad to hear you got it fixed. See you out there....;):cool:
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

Evochron Mercenary Stats:

Darkness is the absence of Light as Evil is the absence of Good
49rTbird
Captain
Captain

Post by 49rTbird »

Howdy Galanthos, Welcome to the forum and the Sim. Have fun and hope to see you in "Multi-Player" sometime. :)
Explore! Explore! Explore! \"There is no going back (Yet) so Make Today Count!