Sierra/Sierra Station Mission

Tips, tactics, and general discussion for Evochron Legacy.
legsbrogan
Ensign
Ensign

Post by legsbrogan »

Please pardon this [SN] noob, but I am having a lot of trouble with this mission.

Mission says like 8 fighters or something and when I warp in there are like 20.

I have no problem dodging and staying alive, picking them off slowly, but more keep warping in.

I turned it off last night after battling 2 hours straight and not completing the mission.

I have searched through the forum here but I can't really find anything regarding the main quests.
SeeJay
Captain
Captain

Post by SeeJay »

Hi and welcome.

Sierra is not the easiest place to start combat training. I would suggest Olympus if
you want to start of easy.

Anyway, to survive in a fight against multiple reds, try to fight in Inertia mode.
Drifting makes your heat signature much smaller. Also aim at a red in the
edge of the mob, so that you don't end up with reds all around you.

Don't fly straight at the red, aim slightly to the side of him and fire when passing by strafing.
Continue this strafe move around the red until he's killed, then target the next in the same manner.
Take care of incoming missiles with CM:s or use your guns.

Here are some videos displaying fighting:
http://evochron.junholt.se/menus/tutorials.htm

Good luck and hope to see you in MP.
\"Nothing is impossible, it only takes a bit longer!\"
\"We are not retreating, we are advancing in another direction!\"

http://evochron.junholt.se (Old)
http://www.evochron2.junholt.se (New)
http://mercenary.junholt.se (Map)
http://www.junholt.se/evoschool/index.htm (No spoilers)
-8- Bzzzzzzzzz! -8- -8-
Dingo
Commander
Commander

Post by Dingo »

Do it in MP on R1 and I'm sure someone will agree to help you fight off the reds. I would anyway.
Life is an illusion. Only shooting red things is real.
legsbrogan
Ensign
Ensign

Post by legsbrogan »

Hey Dingo,

I am not having any problem fighting them or staying alive. I think my issue is not really understanding the objective of the mission.

Are there specific fighters I need to kill? Or just all of them? Like I said above. I keep killing them but more keep warping in. The mission says estimated 8 fighters but I had killed about 30 and they kept coming. I gave up because I had to go to bed! lol
Dingo
Commander
Commander

Post by Dingo »

From post: 116976, Topic: tid=8050, author=legsbrogan wrote:Hey Dingo,

I am not having any problem fighting them or staying alive. I think my issue is not really understanding the objective of the mission.

Are there specific fighters I need to kill? Or just all of them? Like I said above. I keep killing them but more keep warping in. The mission says estimated 8 fighters but I had killed about 30 and they kept coming. I gave up because I had to go to bed! lol
sometimes you have to restart the mission. killing them in the box on the nav map helps too. is it a patrol or waypoint mission?
Life is an illusion. Only shooting red things is real.
legsbrogan
Ensign
Ensign

Post by legsbrogan »

At work right now but I am pretty sure it's just a waypoint mission.
Viper
Captain
Captain

Post by Viper »

From post: 116971, Topic: tid=8050, author=legsbrogan wrote:Mission says like 8 fighters or something and when I warp in there are like 20.

I have no problem dodging and staying alive, picking them off slowly, but more keep warping in.

I turned it off last night after battling 2 hours straight and not completing the mission.
The problem you are having is the fact that you have a hostile reputation to another faction than the one you are supposed to engage. The mission itself (besides the actual target ships) probably features ships of the faction you accepted the mission from (which is probably that same faction you are hostile to). These ships are already at the mission waypoint fighting the ships you are supposed to attack as well.
This is why you see 20 hostile ships and not 8.

And because you have a hostile reputation with them, they will broadcast your location to other ships and stations, which will in turn dispatch more ships to your location to engage you.
This is why you keep seeing red ships warping in.

So to clarify:
  • You are hostile to the faction you are taking the mission from (let me guess: Navy?)
  • The ships you are supposed to destroy for the contract are also red to you because in the contract, they are the ones you are going up against.
So because you are hostile to 2 factions, the only thing you see when you arrive at your mission waypoint is red dots lol. Part of those red ships would normally be green if your reputation had been better.

To complete the mission regardless, have a good look at the contract as you accept it to see which faction it is you are supposed to engage exactly. Then when you arrive at the waypoint and carry out your mission, pay very close attention to the monitor to the right to see whether the ship you have selected is in fact a member of that faction. Pick them out of the bunch one by one this way until you have destroyed all 8 of them. When you have, you will receive the 'contract completed' notification.

Good luck!

~ Viper.

[Edited on 10-14-2011 by Viper]
\"For he today who sheds his blood with me, shall be my brother\"
legsbrogan
Ensign
Ensign

Post by legsbrogan »

Cool. Thanks. That makes a lot of sense.

Can I do a bunch of random faction missions so they do not appear hostile? I know, noob question, only like a week into this game.
Viper
Captain
Captain

Post by Viper »

As someone who had the exact same challenge as you now have I can tell you that repairing the rep damage will take a lot of time. I gave up trying after a week or two of playing regularly, doing nothing else than mission for the faction I wanted to be friendly with.

In the end I decided to just head out and do the mission, but being very careful as to which ship I fired upon. In the end I struggled my way through.
Since you said you can stay alive and continue playing the mission for over 2 hours, I would advise you to do the same. The next mission will probably take you to another sector, where your rep to that faction will be different.

~ Viper.
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

:cool: Eight hostiles usually means you're in a Moderate sector. If you take a patrol contract, you simply need to kill eight ... then watch the chat window to see you've completed the contract (you can now ignore all the other enemy ships). If it's an Ace contract, you need to kill the ace and seven other enemy ships.

:o If you're in multiplayer, you can't do much to change your reputation ... if it's Moderate then it will stay Moderate. You can increase your standing with specific factions ... making it less likely those factions will attack you. But, if you're shooting to turn the system friendly, you'll need to do it in SP.
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Post by Maarschalk »

From post: 117038, Topic: tid=8050, author=Marvin wrote::cool:

:o If you're in multiplayer, you can't do much to change your reputation ... if it's Moderate then it will stay Moderate. You can increase your standing with specific factions ... making it less likely those factions will attack you. But, if you're shooting to turn the system friendly, you'll need to do it in SP.
You can affect your reputation, but the text of reputation in Multiplay will not change. Say your in a Moderate Reputation System in Multiplay and you keep doing contracts for the Navy, Energy and Miners and kill off all Guilds and Rebels till they are both at 0% and you Save and Exit the game and go to single Play your Reputation in that Sytem is changed to fair and you will see the effect of it in Multiplay everything is much easier and your reputation is actually Fair now in Multiplay in that system eventhough it still reads Moderate in Multiplay.
Now if you are part of a clan, your whole clan can affect the system in Multiplay, but how that actually works I'm not sure off cause I'm not in a clan and never have been in one....;):P:cool:
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

Evochron Mercenary Stats:

Darkness is the absence of Light as Evil is the absence of Good
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

From post: 117041, Topic: tid=8050, author=Maarschalk wrote:Say your in a Moderate Reputation System in Multiplay and you keep doing contracts for the Navy, Energy and Miners and kill off all Guilds and Rebels till they are both at 0% and you Save and Exit the game and go to single Play your Reputation in that Sytem is changed to fair and you will see the effect of it in Multiplay everything is much easier and your reputation is actually Fair now in Multiplay in that system eventhough it still reads Moderate in Multiplay.
:o It always seemed to work the other way 'round for me. Say, in MP you get your Navy, Energy and Miner reputations up to 100% in a Moderate system. If you then go into SP, the system will revert to Fair ... but your reputation with each of those factions resets to something less than 100% ... and that carries over when you go back to MP.
Viper
Captain
Captain

Post by Viper »

Hmm, just wondering here. Say I wanted to be friendly with the Rebels and Guilds, and hostile to the Navy and Energy factions? In every single system.

Would it be possible and how would it work?

~ Viper.
Starbuck
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Starbuck »

more than happy to help out if come on in multiplayer will be on tommorow
at some point. if im not someone else would gladley help
Starbuck
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Starbuck »

oh and welcome to the game......see you out there
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Post by Maarschalk »

From post: 117072, Topic: tid=8050, author=Viper wrote:Hmm, just wondering here. Say I wanted to be friendly with the Rebels and Guilds, and hostile to the Navy and Energy factions? In every single system.

Would it be possible and how would it work?

~ Viper.
Yes, it is possible Except for Sol. If You kill all Navy, Energy and Miners in each system and do contracts only for Rebbels and Guild your reputation will eventually become hostile in each system but that will take a long time! In Legends I had a profile that I used to turn all the Systems friendly except for Vonari Space. I got it done but took me a long time, almost a year!........;):P:P:P:cool:

[Edited on 10-15-2011 by Maarschalk]
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

Evochron Mercenary Stats:

Darkness is the absence of Light as Evil is the absence of Good
Busch
Captain
Captain

Post by Busch »

Viper, it works the same way for all factions...do the faction-based contracts. Did the Guild/Rebel profile once. Started in Saphire, where obviously, the situation is mild. Then on to Oly and points beyond. Balance of contracts, comparable to those of the E/M/N coalition. Actually unlocked that special rebel place in the semi-precious stones territories. Lots more work, to accomplishments in the Guild/Rebel side, than in the law-and-order side. The Von will still treat you the same. Energy, Miners, and Navy will hold you anathema. But, it can be done. Good luck! ;) :cool::cool:
Commander
[SW] Clan Squadron Lead - Retired
Call Sign: Busch
ewan
Ensign
Ensign

Post by ewan »

I had trouble with this mission too. I think its the hardest one.

1: waypoint missions, keep an eye on the text box, after you shoot a few at one waypoint it will say 'ok now proceed to the next waypoint' you should jump out at that point as there will be infinite ships to kill otherwise

on the last waypoint after killing some ships it will say mission complete, but if you miss a waypoint complete message you could be there all day. check the nav screen to see if the waypoint has moved.

2: general system unfriendlyness. seirra has loads of ships that attack you immediately, you cant d much about it just ignore them, as you say as long as you are moving they cant kill you.

2a: run to the station, pay the docking fee and click enter station, then you can browse at lesuire

2b: refuel etc, and accept the mission, launch and immediately jump