Can't complete the mission

Tips, tactics, and general discussion for Evochron Legacy.
countjimula
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by countjimula »

I am in a campaign contract to take out a fighter ace. It says I will get 10 fighters defending him. It seems more like 20 all bunched up in a group. I needed backup so I get 10 pilots to join my fleet. I think "hum group, sounds like a job for the torpedo" so I buy a bunch of torpedoes.

The problem then is that I take out the group, or most of the group, but no fighter ace in sight, and fighters spawn all around. Not just regular fighers but many large cruisers and transports.

If I kill all the enemies I do get any more, but the mission is still not done.

What do I need to do to complete the mission?
SeeJay
Captain
Captain

Post by SeeJay »

Hi and welcome.

You need to make sure that you take out the ACE.
Then you need to take out remaining amount stipulated in the contract.

There will be reinforcement arriving some times but it's only the ACE and correct
target amount that counts.

Hop on MP and you will get help if you need it.
\"Nothing is impossible, it only takes a bit longer!\"
\"We are not retreating, we are advancing in another direction!\"

http://evochron.junholt.se (Old)
http://www.evochron2.junholt.se (New)
http://mercenary.junholt.se (Map)
http://www.junholt.se/evoschool/index.htm (No spoilers)
-8- Bzzzzzzzzz! -8- -8-
49rTbird
Captain
Captain

Post by 49rTbird »

Hello countjimula, Welcome to the forum and the Sim. Have fun and hope to see you in "Multi-Player" sometime. :)
Explore! Explore! Explore! \"There is no going back (Yet) so Make Today Count!
Viper
Captain
Captain

Post by Viper »

Yup what SeeJay said. Especially using torpedoes, you have more than likely hit one or two friendly ships in the nearby area because of their wide range. Once you do, they will turn red on you and attack you as well. What's more, once this has happened, these ships (usually Navy or Energy while you're still in the quest) will transmit your location to other ships and bases, which in turn dispatch more ships to engage you. The result: you end up fighting tons of hostiles to which there will be no end as you are now hostile to everyone in the sector.
(at least this is how I understood the explanations elsewhere on this forum)

What I can advise you:
- Don't use torpedoes for this purpose. They have a too wide a range to focus your attack on just the ones you're after. You will most probably accidentally hit ships you don't want to hit when they're all bunched together as they are in most missions.
- Pay good attention to which ship you have selected. You can see the data on the ship you've selected on your bottom right monitor. Make sure it's one of the Rebel or Guild ships you are supposed to attack, and not a Navy or Energy ship.
When you have destroyed a hostile, your targeting system will automatically target the next closest hostile ship. In your case, after launching a couple of torpedoes and thus probably damaging surrounding Navy or Energy ships, the next hostile ship may well be one of them.
- As you are destroying hostiles, scroll down the ships you select with the Alt+T key, or manually select them by pressing 'Y' to select the ship inside your HUD targeting area. When you notice you have selected a Navy or Energy ship, select the next one and work your way through it like this until you have destroyed all the Rebel/Guild ships.

Eventually, you will receive the 'contract completed' message. To then get the hostile Navy/Guild ship friendly again, you will need to leave the sector and come back. But the better option is to stay away from torpedoes in missions against small ships, and resort to guns and optionally missiles.

Hope this helps. :)

~ Viper.
\"For he today who sheds his blood with me, shall be my brother\"
49rTbird
Captain
Captain

Post by 49rTbird »

As an added bit of advice, you may want to do this type of mission in a less hostile system until you get the hang of it. Some systems send only 4 enemy after you so you have a better chance to survive. Good flying to you.:)
Explore! Explore! Explore! \"There is no going back (Yet) so Make Today Count!
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Post by Maarschalk »

From post: 116088, Topic: tid=8022, author=Viper wrote:Yup what SeeJay said. Especially using torpedoes, you have more than likely hit one or two friendly ships in the nearby area because of their wide range. Once you do, they will turn red on you and attack you as well. What's more, once this has happened, these ships (usually Navy or Energy while you're still in the quest) will transmit your location to other ships and bases, which in turn dispatch more ships to engage you. The result: you end up fighting tons of hostiles to which there will be no end as you are now hostile to everyone in the sector.
(at least this is how I understood the explanations elsewhere on this forum)

What I can advise you:
- Don't use torpedoes for this purpose. They have a too wide a range to focus your attack on just the ones you're after. You will most probably accidentally hit ships you don't want to hit when they're all bunched together as they are in most missions.
- Pay good attention to which ship you have selected. You can see the data on the ship you've selected on your bottom right monitor. Make sure it's one of the Rebel or Guild ships you are supposed to attack, and not a Navy or Energy ship.
When you have destroyed a hostile, your targeting system will automatically target the next closest hostile ship. In your case, after launching a couple of torpedoes and thus probably damaging surrounding Navy or Energy ships, the next hostile ship may well be one of them.
- As you are destroying hostiles, scroll down the ships you select with the Alt+T key, or manually select them by pressing 'Y' to select the ship inside your HUD targeting area. When you notice you have selected a Navy or Energy ship, select the next one and work your way through it like this until you have destroyed all the Rebel/Guild ships.

Eventually, you will receive the 'contract completed' message. To then get the hostile Navy/Guild ship friendly again, you will need to leave the sector and come back. But the better option is to stay away from torpedoes in missions against small ships, and resort to guns and optionally missiles.

Hope this helps. :)

~ Viper.
What Viper says is true, unless you have selected a contract for the Guilds or Rebels and your task is to take out an enemy navy Ace or Energy Ace. Than you are in trouble as a Noob....;):P:P:P:P:P:P
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

Evochron Mercenary Stats:

Darkness is the absence of Light as Evil is the absence of Good
countjimula
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by countjimula »

Well I got it the second try after the tips, thanks. I am now up to the way point mission, but I guess I did not kill enough ships because it didn't say success or failure, but I had nothing to shoot at except for one of the two ships fighting like a sail ship with another.

I will try again soon.
SeeJay
Captain
Captain

Post by SeeJay »

Sometimes a ship or to runs away.

If you search the area and find a red, just kill them until it says complete.
\"Nothing is impossible, it only takes a bit longer!\"
\"We are not retreating, we are advancing in another direction!\"

http://evochron.junholt.se (Old)
http://www.evochron2.junholt.se (New)
http://mercenary.junholt.se (Map)
http://www.junholt.se/evoschool/index.htm (No spoilers)
-8- Bzzzzzzzzz! -8- -8-
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

:cool: You can also deploy a sensor array ... it usually makes it easier to find enemy ships.
countjimula
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by countjimula »

The sensor array is a good idea. I got through all but the very last one in Pearl (well at least it says it is the last one).

I had a fun mission when in the heat of battle instead of holding down what I thought I was holding down, I was holding down the "C" key. Goodbye counter measures. Luckily for me, unlike some of the enemies I am flying against now, I was able to Finnish the mission picking them off with flybys.

I have also found that using the map point location indicator is a great way to practice attacks. Especially how to fly in circles around the enemy without slowing down below 1000 and keeping the enemy in your sights even if not always in firing range.
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

From post: 116179, Topic: tid=8022, author=countjimula wrote:I had a fun mission when in the heat of battle instead of holding down what I thought I was holding down, I was holding down the "C" key. Goodbye counter measures.
:cool: Until I installed the auto-CM launcher, I used to do that all the time ... pressed the C instead of the spacebar. Or vice versa ... which can be even worse if you think you're puking out CMs when, in fact, you've just disengaged inertial and are now floating, nearly motionless, close by a Vonari cruiser.
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Post by Maarschalk »

The best one is you locked on to a player online to chat with him or her and you think you pressed the Enter Key to start chatting but the chat box to Enter text did not open up and you press the Shift Key to start the first letter of your sentence with a capital letter and suddenly your excalibur empties its eight missiles on your buddy!......Did that several times, now imagine if it was FTs I had loaded up for trading in my missile slots.....;):P:P:P:P:P:P:P

[Edited on 10-2-2011 by Maarschalk]
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

Evochron Mercenary Stats:

Darkness is the absence of Light as Evil is the absence of Good
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by DaveK »

From post: 116179, Topic: tid=8022, author=countjimula wrote: I have also found that using the map point location indicator is a great way to practice attacks. Especially how to fly in circles around the enemy without slowing down below 1000 and keeping the enemy in your sights even if not always in firing range.
Why didn't I think of that? - I've been trying to use the tip of a station but the grav field and defence shield get in the way

Great idea - thanks! :)
Callsign: Incoming
Life is like a sewer... what you get out of it depends on what you put into it. - Bob Newhart
Hell is being in a pure platinum asteroid field... with a diamond mining beam
ImageImage
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by DaveK »

From post: 116228, Topic: tid=8022, author=Maarschalk wrote:The best one is you locked on to a player online to chat with him or her and you think you pressed the Enter Key to start chatting but the chat box to Enter text did not open up and you press the Shift Key to start the first letter of your sentence with a capital letter and suddenly your excalibur empties its eight missiles on your buddy!......Did that several times, now imagine if it was FTs I had loaded up for trading in my missile slots.....;):P:P:P:P:P:P:P

[Edited on 10-2-2011 by Maarschalk]
As for the former I found that Lady Godiva, Dingo, LexOR and a few others have been very forgiving

As for the latter I didn't actually realise what I'd done until I wasn't in the game any more!

I've now reprogrammed the <lefy-SHIFT> key :P:P:P:P:P:P
Life is like a sewer... what you get out of it depends on what you put into it. - Bob Newhart
ImageImage
Viper
Captain
Captain

Post by Viper »

From post: 116232, Topic: tid=8022, author=DaveK wrote:
From post: 116179, Topic: tid=8022, author=countjimula wrote: I have also found that using the map point location indicator is a great way to practice attacks. Especially how to fly in circles around the enemy without slowing down below 1000 and keeping the enemy in your sights even if not always in firing range.
Why didn't I think of that? - I've been trying to use the tip of a station but the grav field and defence shield get in the way
It's probably me lol, but I have absolutely no clue what you guys are on about. 'Using the map point location indicator', 'using the tip of the station'? To what end exactly, if I may ask? Definitely sounds like something not familiar to me.

~ Viper.
MMaggio
Captain
Captain

Post by MMaggio »

Don't feel bad Viper. I have been playing for years and have no idea what they are talking about either. :(
There have been many posts over the years that are gibberish to me, so I am used to it by now. :)
\"To kill hubris with humility is a goal rarely achieved by men\"
countjimula
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by countjimula »

From post: 116239, Topic: tid=8022, author=Viper wrote:It's probably me lol, but I have absolutely no clue what you guys are on about. 'Using the map point location indicator', 'using the tip of the station'? To what end exactly, if I may ask? Definitely sounds like something not familiar to me.

Just click on the map somewhere close to you and "attack" the NAV marker on your HUD.

At first the NAV marker just flew right by and if it was an enemy ship I would have lost a lot of valuable time when the enemy was in range. Now with some practice I can keep the NAV marker in my sights as I pass.

What I have found works is to go into inertia and accelerate with the ship pointing a little in front of the NAV marker as it passes by.

[Edited on 10-3-2011 by countjimula]
Viper
Captain
Captain

Post by Viper »

Ah I see what you mean now. Thanks for explaining. :)

~ Viper.
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by DaveK »

From post: 116245, Topic: tid=8022, author=Viper wrote:Ah I see what you mean now. Thanks for explaining. :)

~ Viper.
The other night LexOR just circled me pretty quickly keeping about the same distance away and facing me all the time! I was stationary, but it was still impressive - we were chatting at the time! :P

[Edited on 3-10-2011 by DaveK]
ImageImage
MMaggio
Captain
Captain

Post by MMaggio »

well, that still leaves me out!
\"To kill hubris with humility is a goal rarely achieved by men\"