Containers

Tips, tactics, and general discussion for Evochron Legacy.
BryanH
Ensign
Ensign

Containers

Post by BryanH »

Hi guys.

From time to time my science officer has located containers and I've set off after them but never found any. I am absolutely sure I have set the correct heading and pitch but I've never yet seen the purple radar indicator before exiting the sector. Do these things actually exist? Or is it a wild goose chase? I'm referring mainly to the ones in space here - I know there are some on planets such as Rivoch but I haven't chased those yet. Probably not worth the effort but it would be nice to find at least one so that I know I have the technique right.

Thanks.
Malix
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Containers

Post by Malix »

I've seen my science officer say about containers too, can't seem to find them.

And, err.. aren't containers usually white dots on the radar?
Evochron Mercenaries rank: newbie
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Containers

Post by DaveK »

The white dots are containers from destroyed ships. The containers you get in contracts are pinky/purple (the NoID colour). I'm not sure about the stuff just floating around in the void - I've never looked for any :D
Callsign: Incoming
Life is like a sewer... what you get out of it depends on what you put into it. - Bob Newhart
Hell is being in a pure platinum asteroid field... with a diamond mining beam
ImageImage
49rTbird
Captain
Captain

Containers

Post by 49rTbird »

From post: 114054, Topic: tid=7948, author=Malix wrote:I've seen my science officer say about containers too, can't seem to find them.

And, err.. aren't containers usually white dots on the radar?
The color may depend on your video card as people tell me they should be purple and I see them as more whitish. If your are heading in the direction the science officer mentioned then you may see them no matter what color:P!
Explore! Explore! Explore! \"There is no going back (Yet) so Make Today Count!
Dingo
Commander
Commander

Containers

Post by Dingo »

Tbird proves that you can be color blind and darn good pilot. White!? :D
Life is an illusion. Only shooting red things is real.
BraveHart
Captain
Captain

Containers

Post by BraveHart »

"The containers could be close or far away but will show up to be a purple blip on your radar once you are 10,000 or less away from them. Sometimes it helps to triangulate by jumping out of the sector and then back in using 3 different nav points"

"Good Luck BryanH hope this helps you" :)
StarWolves Clan
Wing Commander [SW] BraveHart
Hellfire Squadron
Motto:\"When All Hell Breaks Loose!! Unleash the Wolves of War and We will Rain Hell Fire on All of Our Enemies\"

Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Containers

Post by Marvin »

:cool: As Bravehart says, you usually need to triangulate. It helps to have a pitch ladder incremented in one-degree tic marks and a compass in 5-degree tic marks. Because you don't need to be off course by very much to miss the container. A good technique is to use your nav log to plot a course.
SeeJay
Captain
Captain

Containers

Post by SeeJay »

Hi and welcome.

There is a container Finder (Excel) at my site that will help you out.
\"Nothing is impossible, it only takes a bit longer!\"
\"We are not retreating, we are advancing in another direction!\"

http://evochron.junholt.se (Old)
http://www.evochron2.junholt.se (New)
http://mercenary.junholt.se (Map)
http://www.junholt.se/evoschool/index.htm (No spoilers)
-8- Bzzzzzzzzz! -8- -8-
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Containers

Post by Marvin »

:cool: I heartily agree. You can even use SeeJay's Excel worksheet to pinpoint at least one hidden location revealed in the Quest for Peace. In fact, any time you see a location defined by triangulation, the fastest method to triangulate is with the worksheet.
Morkonan
Ensign
Ensign

Containers

Post by Morkonan »

New here.. Hi all!

On Containers - I never got any indication on my radar that I was near a pre-placed/pre-generated or IMG quest container. But, following the triangulation method, I have been able to find them. However, I also never got any indication I was near any of the Contract mission containers (Find the Navy's lost junk missions.) nor did I ever "see" any of those containers until I patched my vid drivers to the latest versions and d'loaded the most recent patch of the game. Now, I can find mission containers where, before, I never had any hope of completing any of those Contracts.

I don't know which did it, the new drivers or the patch. But, now I can do those missions.

My suggestion - Get the latest drivers for your vid card, d'load the newest game patch and have a go at it.

(My vid specs - Radeon HD 6490M dual GPU w/ Intel Mobility chip, hot switchable graphics (Laptop system) and royal PITA to update the driver correctly... But, it works great, now.)
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Containers

Post by Marvin »

:cool: It was probably your drivers. Else everyone playing the game from the get-go would've had the same problem (AFAIK, nobody did ... once they were told what to look for). Even so, some of us see the radar blip as purple and others see it as pink or some other off-the-wall color.
49rTbird
Captain
Captain

Containers

Post by 49rTbird »

From post: 116008, Topic: tid=7948, author=Morkonan wrote:New here.. Hi all!

On Containers - I never got any indication on my radar that I was near a pre-placed/pre-generated or IMG quest container. But, following the triangulation method, I have been able to find them. However, I also never got any indication I was near any of the Contract mission containers (Find the Navy's lost junk missions.) nor did I ever "see" any of those containers until I patched my vid drivers to the latest versions and d'loaded the most recent patch of the game. Now, I can find mission containers where, before, I never had any hope of completing any of those Contracts.

I don't know which did it, the new drivers or the patch. But, now I can do those missions.

My suggestion - Get the latest drivers for your vid card, d'load the newest game patch and have a go at it.

(My vid specs - Radeon HD 6490M dual GPU w/ Intel Mobility chip, hot switchable graphics (Laptop system) and royal PITA to update the driver correctly... But, it works great, now.)
Look at the radar globe in the lower middle of the picture below. You will see a whitish comet in the right middle of it. That is what a container would look like and in what direction you need to head to get it. Ships would be red,yellow, or green. Stations would be blue. Hope this helps.

[Edited on 9-28-2011 by thetiebers]
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Containers

Post by Marvin »

:cool: I think he meant the containers you're supposed to identify to complete a contract. Not the ones dropped by ships you blew up.
49rTbird
Captain
Captain

Containers

Post by 49rTbird »

From post: 116016, Topic: tid=7948, author=Marvin wrote::cool: I think he meant the containers you're supposed to identify to complete a contract. Not the ones dropped by ships you blew up.
You are correct but then again they look the same to me on radar and thats why I used that picture.:)
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Containers

Post by Marvin »

:cool: As I said, not everyone sees the blips as purple. Especially if your monitor is an old monochrome. ;)
49rTbird
Captain
Captain

Containers

Post by 49rTbird »

From post: 116024, Topic: tid=7948, author=Marvin wrote::cool: As I said, not everyone sees the blips as purple. Especially if your monitor is an old monochrome. ;)
Oops, forgot they are suppose to be purple. Must be my (lol) old eyes.:D
Busch
Captain
Captain

Containers

Post by Busch »

The colors of the mission-type containers, as well as those "found" by one's Sci-Ops Officer run the range of pink to salmon to purple. And can generally be identified on your radar gymbal, lower center screen MFD. Yes, the colors may vary due to the display physics/math embedded in your graphics card driver software. Update these regularly. The color of the graphic that indicates a crate of "salvage", after your most recent Red ship-kill episode, is generally marked with a white-colored, equal-armed cross on-screen. And appear on the radar gymbal as a white blip. As Marv et. al have suggested, triangulation and using the crate-finder sftwr greatly assist your crate location efforts. Good Luck ! :D
Commander
[SW] Clan Squadron Lead - Retired
Call Sign: Busch