Flight simulation question

Tips, tactics, and general discussion for Evochron Legacy.
BryanH
Ensign
Ensign

Post by BryanH »

Hi again team - this is just a question, not a problem, based on observation of some of the vids on the home page. I notice that in the vids when turning I see a banking turn as you would expect from real flying (I am a real pilot although strictly amateur). But I don't see that type of movement in my own flying in the game. I turn alright but it is a flat turn - know what I mean? I wondered if this was because I am using a standard mouse for control and whether a joystick is required to make it work that way - although I don't see why a mouse couldn't work that way too since the game mechanics has to simulate the action of both ailerons and rudder together with only one directional control. Maybe I have a setting wrong? I am using the defaults - as it came out of the box basically.

Oh and while I am here one other small thing - according to the keyboard quick reference guide the "/" key is reverse thrust. I tried to use it to back away from an asteroid I was bumping into (oops!) but nothing happened. Is this not a proper use for reverse thrust?

Thanks again for all the help.
ECC01
Ensign
Ensign

Post by ECC01 »

on the banking, no idea, i use joystick, and u need to bank "manually". in atmosphere u cant bank and change heading, its seems purely eyecandy, that said, if used to flight sims u adjust the controls in your own mind and compensate anyway keeping the nose level using rudder.
It's realistic enough to enjoy once you've done it a few times.

On the keyboard settings: I've noticed that it's hardcoded (using keyboard scan codes) for the US keyboard, and using British keyboard here some translation of which key is defined is sometimes in order.

Compare layout US/whatever you have and see what key is meant is all I can suggest.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyboard_layout

[Edited on 25/8/11 by ECC01]
sundalo
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by sundalo »

You probably were still accelerating towards the asteroid at high speed too quick for the reverse thrusters to compensate thus your ship making the collision, turn on IDS and decrease speed, set to zero if your moving too fast, if you want to dodge that asteroid use your horizontal inertial thrusters using A and D keys on keyboard. hope this helps bro.
\"There\'s a war going on out there, and it ain\'t easy!\"

\"All this has happened before, and all of it will happen again.\"
SeeJay
Captain
Captain

Post by SeeJay »

I use a stick as well, so the mouse setup I leave to those who fly with one.

The key bindings are easily changed to your preference in the setup menu.
If you can't find the correct button, reprogram it!

Using the reversed thrusters must be done with throttle as well.
Full reverse is achieved by giving full throttle with Reverse button pressed in.

[Edited on 2011-8-25 by SeeJay]
\"Nothing is impossible, it only takes a bit longer!\"
\"We are not retreating, we are advancing in another direction!\"

http://evochron.junholt.se (Old)
http://www.evochron2.junholt.se (New)
http://mercenary.junholt.se (Map)
http://www.junholt.se/evoschool/index.htm (No spoilers)
-8- Bzzzzzzzzz! -8- -8-
MMaggio
Captain
Captain

Post by MMaggio »

Ok, you are using "arcade" style control with just the mouse. The ship does not automatically bank nor does it need to in space. There is a control for "roll" and that would likely require a joystick that had such an option or you copulod do it yourself by using the roll keys.
As for reverse, the key only engages reverse, like in a car, you must give it some gas or advance the throttle and it will back up just fine.
Hope that helps.
\"To kill hubris with humility is a goal rarely achieved by men\"
sundalo
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by sundalo »

Lol MM, perfect example of how the reverse thrusters work!:D
\"There\'s a war going on out there, and it ain\'t easy!\"

\"All this has happened before, and all of it will happen again.\"
Malix
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Malix »

Banking turns? You mean sliding sideways or something? Sounds like you want to turn ids off (spacebar toggles on/off). Then you can travel to one direction and face another.
Evochron Mercenaries rank: newbie
49rTbird
Captain
Captain

Post by 49rTbird »

As in a small plane ( and maybe big ones? ) you have to use two controls to bank turn. Yoke and peddels ( mouse and keyboard). :)
Explore! Explore! Explore! \"There is no going back (Yet) so Make Today Count!
BryanH
Ensign
Ensign

Post by BryanH »

OK - that's cool - just wondered. Banking turn = wings drop in the direction of the turn. The ship in the evochron site and the game intro too I think - have to check that out again - flies like a plane. Of course you don't need that in space but it looks more realistic. And thanks for the clue re the reverse thrust - didn't figure to put any throttle on - just thought it would be a "reverse throttle" sort of thing. I'll give it a go. I wasn't having any real trouble with the asteroids, I just got a bit close and wanted to figure out how to back off a few meters without having to turn around. Thanks for the advice.
Capt_Caveman
Commander
Commander

Post by Capt_Caveman »

you can also press rev and turbo "/" + "tab" with ids off or on for quick braking action. i assigned both to my joystick buttons

[Edited on 8-25-2011 by capt_cronic]