Preliminary Results

Tips, tactics, and general discussion for Evochron Legacy.
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Preliminary Results

Post by Marvin »

IT'S ROAD RALLY IN SPACE TIME!

User Name: RoadRally
Password: MoMoney

Good luck to all the participants.

Five different rally quests will be posted, each one starting in a different location. So that you might pre-position yourself before the rally begins, the following list corresponds to the start point for each of the quest numbers:

1. Sirius
2. Alpha Centauri
3. Lambda
4. Talison
5. Iota

Unless you decide to take the long way 'round, any quest you select will have the same number of gate-jumps as the other quest files. The only real difference might be in-system, when jumps to a station or planet might be optimized, depending on the jump drive installed. A quick trip to Atlas prior to the rally might be worth your time. (In other words, without a Mantis Drive, you will be at a slight disadvantage.)

The questions will be posted at least 24 hours before the start of the rally. Keep in mind that the answers you get while doing the rally need not be accurate. I do this to limit the number of times somebody can look up an answer prior to start time. The answers needed to win the rally are those given after docking at the designated locations. Not those you find on Google.

PROCEDURE

Before the Rally:
1. Make sure you have Mercenary version 1.524 or better.
2. Launch the game and Create a rally pilot profile.
3. Write down the questions edited into the first post, here.
4. Decide which start location you want to use.
5. Post your decision at the end of this thread (so other players can decide their start location).
  • SeeJay: Lambda
  • Denny: Talison
  • DaveK: Talison
  • Dingo: Alpha Centauri
6. Pre-position your rally profile at the start location.

At Rally Time:
1. Go to the first post in this thread and get both the User name and Password.
2. Go to SeeJay's website: http://evochron.junholt.se/
3. Click on the "Road Rally in Space" option listed on the left-hand side.
4. Enter the User name and Password to access the rally files.
5. Download your selected Race (quest) file.
6. Install the file to your main game folder. It will override but will not overwrite any other quest file.
7. Launch the game and Log on to the Remula 1 server.
8. Begin the rally by:
  • Announcing in Chat that you're starting the rally.
  • Going to the News Console then clicking on "View Last Quest Message" and following instructions in the message.
Note: Unless told otherwise, save as often as you like. If, for any reason, you die during the rally, you can return to the rally at your last save point.

After the Rally:
1. Remain on the server. If you died, return to the server.
2. U2U me your answers to the rally questions.

MMaggio has volunteered to help me keep an eye on players and he will make the applicable sections of his chat log available as a definitive way to determine who comes in first. Should the first place player fail to have the answers to all the questions, first place will be awarded to whoever came in next. Or, failing that, the winner will be the next in line or the next or the next, etc.

Change 1

MMaggio's Chat Log will record your start time and also your end time (you probably won't need to announce that you've finished the rally but, if you like, go ahead and make the announcement in Chat). Both MMaggio and I will calculate how long it took each pilot to complete the course. We will then compare our math and decide the winner.

The planned start time is still 12:00 noon Pacific DLST ... that's when I'll post the User name and Password you'll need to access the Rally section of SeeJay's website. You can start the rally any time after that (do not forget to send a Chat message before starting). Be advised, if you show up more than an hour late ... I might be about 2 sheets to the wind and unable to accept any more entries.

QUESTIONS

1. Q: According to Ray Bradbury, what’s the best way to defeat wickedness?

2. Q: The character Alf got his first name and his likeness from a bottle of what?

3. Q: I’m thinking of a number between 1 and 100. What number am I thinking of?

4. Q: According to Terry Pratchett, who was the fifth Horseman of the Apocalypse?

5. Q: What was King Henry VIII middle name?

6. Q: Who caused a blackout in Colorado Springs in the summer of 1899?

7. Q: Who introduced Velcro to the U.S.?

8. Q: What color is the star nearest your current pitstop?

9. Q: How can the net amount of entropy of the universe be massively decreased?

===========================================

Anyone familiar with a road rally knows how they work.

1. Some rich pilot would need to sponsor the rally.

2. No need to sign up … just show up.

3. Day and time of the rally would be posted here. I suggest some Sunday next month.

4. At the specified day and time, a “Road Rally� quest file would be posted here for download --
  • Each pilot would need to us a profile not previously used to do the default IMG quest. Else, he/she won’t see the messages directing him/her where to go next.
  • Pre-upgraded profiles would be allowed. So you'd need to plan ahead.
  • The rally would start at the time the quest file is posted -- how long it takes you to install the rally quest would determine how much of a head start you'd get.
5. Prior to the rally, players would decide if it’s to be a gentlemanly rally or a knife fight (not holds barred).

6. To avoid a number of obvious pitfalls, this first rally would be conducted without requiring players to do any IMG-style contracts. (If you can’t think of any pitfalls, just ask -- I will enumerate … possibly at length.)

7. Naturally, the sponsor would pay out the prize money to the winner.

Test: to see if I can upload five route files at one time.

[file]463[/file]

[file]464[/file]

[file]465[/file]

[file]466[/file]

[file]467[/file]

[Edited on 9-15-2011 by Marvin]

[Edited on 9-21-2011 by Marvin]

[Edited on 9-22-2011 by Marvin]

[Edited on 9-24-2011 by Marvin]

[Edited on 9-25-2011 by Marvin]
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Preliminary Results

Post by Vice »

I would be happy to sponsor the event and pay the winner.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
Nigel_Strange
Captain
Captain

Preliminary Results

Post by Nigel_Strange »

Marvin, I think this is a marvelous idea! However, if you do not do the IMG quests, how do you get the waypoints? As I recall, they are revealed only after you complete the mission.
XB7
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Preliminary Results

Post by XB7 »

That sounds like a blast. How long do we have to build our racer?
Sinbad
Commander
Commander

Preliminary Results

Post by Sinbad »

That's a great idea. But I'm a bit confused about the profiles thing.

Universe Explorers Clan
[UE]Sinbad
Clan Leader

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known. - Carl Sagan
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Preliminary Results

Post by Marvin »

From post: 111961, Topic: tid=7840, author=Nigel_Strange wrote:... if you do not do the IMG quests, how do you get the waypoints? As I recall, they are revealed only after you complete the mission.
;) You can script a quest to give the player a message just for docking at a specific station or city. No need to complete a contract.
... I'm a bit confused about the profiles thing.
:cool: If you've started the IMG quest, your progress is logged to the pilot profile you used when doing the quest. There is no way to "back up" and start over again. So, to see the first message of a modded quest, you need to use a pilot profile that hasn't already begun any other quest.
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Preliminary Results

Post by DaveK »

It's a great idea Marvin, either Wacky Races, no holds barred or a serious race. :)

Is there a way to get a fresh quest free profile without losing all my hard earned money or do I have to start again, earn some money nostalgically mining to beef the ship up a bit before I can enter the rally? What would happen if I managed to finish the IMG quest - would that clear it for me?
Callsign: Incoming
Life is like a sewer... what you get out of it depends on what you put into it. - Bob Newhart
Hell is being in a pure platinum asteroid field... with a diamond mining beam
ImageImage
Sinbad
Commander
Commander

Preliminary Results

Post by Sinbad »

So, to see the first message of a modded quest, you need to use a pilot profile that hasn't already begun any other quest.
But I am doing the Quest for Peace with a profile that already completed the default quest. So couldn't I just clone again my default-quest-completed profile and use that?

Universe Explorers Clan
[UE]Sinbad
Clan Leader

Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Preliminary Results

Post by Marvin »

The rally quest will start at step 1 ... same as the default IMG quest. The Quest for Peace is appended to the default quest ... which is why you can do both IMG quests using the same profile. It also means that pilots who have done some or all of the current quests will be between step 1 and step 99 ... and I have no way of scripting another quest that starts randomly.

Ergo, the only way this will work is if pilots use a virgin (pardon my French) profile. It can be new. It can be old. It just can't have any quest progress attached to it. Check your list of profiles at the selection page of the game ... the progress for each profile is listed in your stats.
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Preliminary Results

Post by Maarschalk »

Cool Idea, I do not think I have any profiles without a completed quest......;):P:P:P:P:P:P:P
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

Evochron Mercenary Stats:

Darkness is the absence of Light as Evil is the absence of Good
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Preliminary Results

Post by Marvin »

:cool: Well, fair warning then. I figure you'll have plenty of time to work on one. Maybe 'till the end of the month, at least. This is how the thing is shaping up ...
  • Five quest files will be posted for download. Each one starts at a different location.
  • Pick one of the five and then post which file you chose.
  • Install the file to your game folder, log on to the R1 server, and immediately start the rally … wait for nobody.
  • At least one day prior to the rally, the list of questions will be posted here. The questions will be the same for all five routes. (This might change if there is ever a 2nd annual rally … requiring participants to sign up and receive a set of questions, corresponding to only one of the routes, via U2U.)
  • Each stop will give directions to the next stop. Some stops will also give the answer to one of the questions.
  • Copy down the answers.
  • All five rally routes end at the same location. I’ll be waiting there to flag the winner. Yes, it’s possible to cheat by finding my position, via the tilde key, but then you won’t have the answers to any of the questions.
  • I’ll also make of list of all players who finish the rally and their order of crossing the finish line. Should the first place player fail to have the answers to all the questions, first place will be awarded to whoever came in next. Or, failing that, the winner will be the next in line or the next or the next, etc.
  • As best as I can, the five routes will cover the same amount of ground. Meaning, the distance to stations and to transit gates will be an equal number of jumps, total (for the entire course … not necessarily between any two stop points).
  • Occasionally, routes will cross over one another. Maybe the sector will be the same and maybe even the station will be the same. The quest scripting format allows for that … one station can be used for more than one clue.
  • Two reasons why the rally would be scheduled for next month:

1. Denny is on vacation for the rest of this month … it’s an Italian thing.
    2. Working up five routes will take awhile.
;) And, with Vice volunteering to sponsor the thing, the grand prize should … could … might possibly be something great. Lots and lots of credits, at the very least.
DennyMala
Captain
Captain

Preliminary Results

Post by DennyMala »

Really nice idea Marv, great!

I'll have to battle my way in remembering to switch files of quests but sounds really great.
Best regards

[IM] DennyMala
SeeJay
Captain
Captain

Preliminary Results

Post by SeeJay »

Great idea Marvin.

If you need any hosting, just let me know.

I'll be in Italy on vacation the first 2 weeks in september, so I might not be able to join the race.
Depends on when it starts.
\"Nothing is impossible, it only takes a bit longer!\"
\"We are not retreating, we are advancing in another direction!\"

http://evochron.junholt.se (Old)
http://www.evochron2.junholt.se (New)
http://mercenary.junholt.se (Map)
http://www.junholt.se/evoschool/index.htm (No spoilers)
-8- Bzzzzzzzzz! -8- -8-
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Preliminary Results

Post by Marvin »

:cool: Have fun in Italy. By September, everything should be open again.
DennyMala
Captain
Captain

Preliminary Results

Post by DennyMala »

From post: 112080, Topic: tid=7840, author=SeeJay wrote:Great idea Marvin.

If you need any hosting, just let me know.

I'll be in Italy on vacation the first 2 weeks in september, so I might not be able to join the race.
Depends on when it starts.
Where are you coming mate?
Best regards

[IM] DennyMala
SeeJay
Captain
Captain

Preliminary Results

Post by SeeJay »

Whe are staying 2 weeks in the south (Calabria) and just outside Pizzo somewhere.

Rent a car for 5 days to check out the surroundings a bit. Going to Sicily as well for a day.
Kids want to see the Vulcano (Edna), well, me to actually LOL.

Where do you live mate? Any chance of grabbing a beer together?
\"Nothing is impossible, it only takes a bit longer!\"
\"We are not retreating, we are advancing in another direction!\"

http://evochron.junholt.se (Old)
http://www.evochron2.junholt.se (New)
http://mercenary.junholt.se (Map)
http://www.junholt.se/evoschool/index.htm (No spoilers)
-8- Bzzzzzzzzz! -8- -8-
Sinbad
Commander
Commander

Preliminary Results

Post by Sinbad »

Thanks Marvin for the explanation about profiles, my poor little brain has it now! Sounds really good fun. Unfortunately I'll be away for most of September (in Colombia) so I'll most likely miss it. :(

Universe Explorers Clan
[UE]Sinbad
Clan Leader

Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Preliminary Results

Post by Marvin »

I might have it ready by the last Sunday this month ... depends on how long it takes to recover from the move to Reno.
Dingo
Commander
Commander

Preliminary Results

Post by Dingo »

bumping this because it's a great idea and there are some pilots who might not have seen it. I missed it anyway. also, i'm in.
Life is an illusion. Only shooting red things is real.
Capt_Caveman
Commander
Commander

Preliminary Results

Post by Capt_Caveman »

me too
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Preliminary Results

Post by Marvin »

:cool: Are you guys willing to wait until SeeJay gets back from Italy (assuming he doesn't decide to stay forever)?
Dingo
Commander
Commander

Preliminary Results

Post by Dingo »

I am.
Life is an illusion. Only shooting red things is real.
Rush
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Preliminary Results

Post by Rush »

Italy, my favourite country :D

Universe Explorers Clan
[UE]Rush
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Preliminary Results

Post by DaveK »

From post: 113933, Topic: tid=7840, author=Marvin wrote::cool: Are you guys willing to wait until SeeJay gets back from Italy (assuming he doesn't decide to stay forever)?
Of course :)

Marvin - Is it possible to make a creditable attempt in a basic ship with perhaps a souped up fuel tank and Mantis drive? I'm concentrating on my Mil career and ranking in [HB] and don't have the play time to get a quest free decent ship. :) But I'd love to have a go.

[Edited on 30-8-2011 by DaveK]
Callsign: Incoming
Life is like a sewer... what you get out of it depends on what you put into it. - Bob Newhart
Hell is being in a pure platinum asteroid field... with a diamond mining beam
ImageImage
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Preliminary Results

Post by Marvin »

:cool: I did all five routes in a basic ship and a class 5 Fulcrum drive. I suggest using the Mantis, though, else you might end up having to do a few double jumps ... depending on which route you select. And a Mantis will definitely shorten one leg of the rally. Perhaps you'll also want to upgrade your shields.