Can we please tone down the AI's missile hose?

Tips, tactics, and general discussion for Evochron Legacy.
ouch
Ensign
Ensign

Post by ouch »

Seriously, tone them down a bit, dodging 11 missiles at once is not fun in any sense of the word.

Whenever I see that I just stop the game and play something else as my chances for survival is 0 anyway.
GDF Powell

Post by GDF Powell »

You just need some training. I have never counted 11 at once. The limit has always been 4 at one time. Now as soon as one of those 4 are destroyed, another can come out. This only applies to AI.
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

:cool: Get an auto-CM launcher. And carry at least 50 CMs.
Nigel_Strange
Captain
Captain

Post by Nigel_Strange »

Why dodge them when you can shoot them?

I had an auto-cm launcher, but I gave it up. It seemed to go through CMs too fast, launching them prematurely (that's what she said) and dropping too many of them.

However, there is one thing that bothers me: when foes have more missiles than it is legal to carry. I am assured that this is not the case with EM AI foes: that they only carry up to the standard number of missiles, but they do seem profligate with them. Then again, their governments, clans, whatever are paying for them, so they don't have to worry about the cost. Funny how that works.

Another thing that I don't like is how the missiles leave the enemy ships and go off on weird directions, making them hard to shoot down. When I shoot a missile, i have to have the target in my gunsight, so I'm facing the target, and the missile comes out from the front and goes straight. When the enemy shoots, though (maybe it's just vonari) the missile comes out from the side, then loops around. Not natural, and unnaturally hard to hit.

In the old days, too, enemies would be able to lock on you instantly, so as soon as you decloaked or jumped in, you had missiles on you. I don't think that is the case anymore, but it could be that my observations are not accurate.
Avenger
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Avenger »

Auto Lancher is indeed a waste, it just shoots out CM's like it's candy on a kids birthday party, wasting 80-90% of the CM's since you only need 1 per missile.

I shoot most missiles since they are destroyed with 1 hit.

Fight in Inert mode and always face the enemy by flying sideways, this will give you plenty of time to shoot down enemies and missiles.
Galaxy Defense Force Operator
Join the GDF!
Sinbad
Commander
Commander

Post by Sinbad »

Hi "Ouch", welcome to Evochron!

Combat piloting isn't really my forte and like you I used to get overwhelmed by the AI. But once you learn a few tricks it becomes quite easy to deal with a group of reds. Just try to avoid flying into the middle of the pack, skirt around them on inertia picking them off one at a time. I find the anti-missile system (not auto-CM launcher) to be quite useful, although one shouldn't rely on it all the time as it's only effective in certain situations.

With a little practice you'll soon change your forum name from "Ouch" to "Bring it on!" :D

Universe Explorers Clan
[UE]Sinbad
Clan Leader

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known. - Carl Sagan
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

From post: 111608, Topic: tid=7821, author=Nigel_Strange wrote:Another thing that I don't like is how the missiles leave the enemy ships and go off on weird directions, making them hard to shoot down. When I shoot a missile, i have to have the target in my gunsight, so I'm facing the target, and the missile comes out from the front and goes straight.
:o Not all enemy missiles corkscrew. I suspect it depends on the type missile. And, since I usually employ either Excals or the cheapest missile I can buy, it's possible such a missile is available to all pilots. It would require testing.
MMaggio
Captain
Captain

Post by MMaggio »

You can use reverse thrust and shoot the missiles down as they approach. Sooner or later the reds will run low. Attacking from the fringes is a good tactic. Learn how to use your IDS to coast as you fly by the pack and rotate your ship to keep them in your sights.
No offense meant, but could it be possible that you are taking on too much too soon?
Some systems are more difficult than others and it's possible that your ship may not be up to the job for heavy combat.
Perhaps improving your ship and/or returning to a less hostile system might give you the experience you need.
Remember, there are thousands of players who have managed to survive. You can too with patience and a little experience.
Hope to see you in MP soon.
\"To kill hubris with humility is a goal rarely achieved by men\"
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Post by Maarschalk »

From post: 111611, Topic: tid=7821, author=Avenger wrote:Auto Lancher is indeed a waste, it just shoots out CM's like it's candy on a kids birthday party, wasting 80-90% of the CM's since you only need 1 per missile.

I shoot most missiles since they are destroyed with 1 hit.

Fight in Inert mode and always face the enemy by flying sideways, this will give you plenty of time to shoot down enemies and missiles.
There is another equipment available that is very rare/hard to find and expensive that will take care of the missiles, the auto CM Launcher is indeed a waste.......;):cool:
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

Evochron Mercenary Stats:

Darkness is the absence of Light as Evil is the absence of Good
MMaggio
Captain
Captain

Post by MMaggio »

Sorry, but I beg to differ. I find it immensely useful andx not a waste of CM's
Between what I shoot down and the CM launcher, I am almost invincible to missiles.
And that's my story and I'm sticking to it! :D:D
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

:cool: I never even bother with incoming anymore ... my sights are squarely set on the enemy. Not one single, solitary cannon volley is wasted on missiles headed my way. Not one. Ever. Never. No need. They all miss. All of them. All. I don't dodge. Duck. Or sidestep. No need. The Auto-Launcher takes care of all that. All the time.
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Post by Maarschalk »

I had the Auto CM launcher and still got hit by missiles cause I thought I was invincible.....;):P
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

Avenger
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Avenger »

From post: 111657, Topic: tid=7821, author=Marvin wrote::cool: I never even bother with incoming anymore ... my sights are squarely set on the enemy. Not one single, solitary cannon volley is wasted on missiles headed my way. Not one. Ever. Never. No need. They all miss. All of them. All. I don't dodge. Duck. Or sidestep. No need. The Auto-Launcher takes care of all that. All the time.
Until you run out of CM's that is. ;)

How many time you have to reload the CM's for let's say a 77 foes 7 WP contract in a hostile system? (Hostile means you have many additional foes popping in to join the fun)
Join the GDF!
MMaggio
Captain
Captain

Post by MMaggio »

I carry 75 CM's before every battle. That's usually more than enough.
Maybe it's just technique, maybe it's just luck and maybe it's just a matter of what you feel works best. It's things like that, that make the world go round!
I say try them both and go with what works for you! :D
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

:cool: Ditto. Btw, in a military ship, fighting as Avenger fights (using inertial), 99 CMs is plenty.
Avenger
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Avenger »

Correct, in Inertial you have 100% chance to spoof missiles with CM's because your engines heat signature is none existant.

When I did a 77 foes 7 WP contract I had 75 CM's loaded and without stopping to reload I had 37 CM's left after completing the 7th waypoint.
Not a single missile managed to hit me during the 7 battles.

This was with manual CM dispersion, 1 CM per incomming missile to spoof em.
Join the GDF!
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Post by Maarschalk »

Yes manual dispension I agree, but try to use the Auto CM Launcher in a 7 waypoint and 77 enemies in a hostile environment, you will have multiple missiles coming from all directions and your Auto CM Launcher will be dispensing the Candy like a Pinata ripped in half....;):P:P:P:P:P

And that is what we are talking about here, the Auto CM Launcher that is...;)

[Edited on 8-2-2011 by Maarschalk]
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

Avenger
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Avenger »

I already agreed to that, Auto Launcher is a CM wasting piece of garbage lol.

No need to tell me that Maars. :D
Join the GDF!
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Post by Maarschalk »

LOL, I know, I was just adressing in general others who claim the Auto CM Launcher is sufficient and reinforcing that it is not by restating what you said in the earlier post.....;):P
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

:cool: CMs are free and I'm more than happy to leave Ave to fight alone while I refuel somewhere around waypoint 5. It's the kind of thing Ave can easily handle ... just ask Ave. I can usually get back into the frey by waypoint 6.
sundalo
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by sundalo »

When I read this post, I couldnt help but flashback on that memorable space combat scene in Cowboy Bebop where Spike was attacked by a volley of missiles upon approaching this orbital satellite and not only did he evade these missiles, he shot a few of them down lol, very intense but very funny, and no inertia involved as if space was flying in an atmosphere lol
\"There\'s a war going on out there, and it ain\'t easy!\"

\"All this has happened before, and all of it will happen again.\"
BraveHart
Captain
Captain

Post by BraveHart »

"Yeah lots of missiles can spoil your day especially when your after that Greatest Screen-Shot" :D "But I manage to do quite well getting rid of the pesky missiles by flying with the IDS turned off and launching cm's when the missiles are near" ;)
StarWolves Clan
Wing Commander [SW] BraveHart
Hellfire Squadron
Motto:\"When All Hell Breaks Loose!! Unleash the Wolves of War and We will Rain Hell Fire on All of Our Enemies\"