Graphic Settings Guide

Tips, tactics, and general discussion for Evochron Legacy.
XB7
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Graphic Settings Guide

Post by XB7 »

I seem to remember there was a graphics settings guide for mercenary hanging around here. My hardware is a bit better than the recommended system requirements, but the FPS almost comes to a stand still on planet entry.

If someone could link me to some helpful information on what each of the Graphics Settings does, that would be great! I don't want to be turning down/off graphic settings that aren't causing the problem.

AMD 2.8 ghz
Windows 7 64bit
3gig ddr
512mb Nvidia 8400GS GeForce

[Edited on 7-28-2011 by XB7]
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Graphic Settings Guide

Post by Vice »

In the instructions, there is an 'Options' section that details what each of the options are, including the graphics settings. An 8400GS may be a bit weak for the top detail settings, at least for planet descents as you've observed. You could probably just change the Planet Detail setting to 'High' or 'Medium' and see if performance improves enough for you. Also, make sure you haven't enabled any anti-aliasing in the Nvidia control panel. What kind of framerate are you getting when flying into planets atmospheres?
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
XB7
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Graphic Settings Guide

Post by XB7 »

That's exactly the info I was looking for, thanks. Here's my current settings.

Resolution: 1340 x 768 (had to force a smaller res for my 24" monitor)
Background Neb: on
Star Detail: High
3D Cockpit: on
Shaders: Limited
Graphics Detail: Medium
Planet Detail: Medium
Screen Mode: Optimized(M)
No Mods Installed...

I bought that video card not to long ago as an upgrade. If I was to buy another, what would you suggest as a minimum requirement?

I couldn't remember about the Status button. Wasn't the first two numbers the FPS? If so, the FPS in space is around 21. When I start entering into the atmosphere of the planet, the screen starts to stutter and the FPS reading jumps around 11 - 15 (if I'm reading the status button correctly.)
MMaggio
Captain
Captain

Graphic Settings Guide

Post by MMaggio »

Yep, that's correct. FPS depends on the visual load, so it varies considerably depending on what visuals have to be processed. Combat can put a big load on video card resources as well.
FYI, the industry standard for high def broadcasting is only 28 FPS.
Anytime your card drops below that, it can cause stuttering, jerkiness and possible lag with or w/o other players.
You can increase your FPS by "tweaking" the settings and display rate in the options menu.
Good luck. :)
\"To kill hubris with humility is a goal rarely achieved by men\"
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Graphic Settings Guide

Post by Vice »

I bought that video card not to long ago as an upgrade. If I was to buy another, what would you suggest as a minimum requirement?
For current hardware, something like a GTX 550 or an ATI equivalent would probably be a good minimum for starting at around $120-$130. You'll need to make sure the motherboard you are using is compatible with the card and I would also suggest reviewing some benchmarks for the games you play to make sure the card will perform the way you want for them as well.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
XB7
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Graphic Settings Guide

Post by XB7 »

Thanks Vice. I'll be looking into one of those cards here soon then.

In the time being, I installed some game booster software that shuts down unnecessary processes. The performance difference is like night and day. No hang up at all during planet decent.

In the process of running that software, I also found out my Nvidia drivers weren't up to date. I was under the impression that they were.
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Graphic Settings Guide

Post by DaveK »

Hi XB7 - what booster software are you using? :)
Callsign: Incoming
Life is like a sewer... what you get out of it depends on what you put into it. - Bob Newhart
Hell is being in a pure platinum asteroid field... with a diamond mining beam
ImageImage
XB7
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Graphic Settings Guide

Post by XB7 »

From post: 111530, Topic: tid=7813, author=DaveK wrote:Hi XB7 - what booster software are you using? :)
Game Booster 3

I had bought the original booster some time ago, so it's been a while since I've had it installed. They are already on version 3 now.