How To Fight 10 Hostiles "The Mecingo Way"

Tips, tactics, and general discussion for Evochron Legacy.
Flying Brick
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Flying Brick »

I think working together to try to put out a sort of unofficial manual would be a great thing!
And yes, exactly, the sort of stuff like MMaggio suggested is exactly what I had in mind!
And there's lots more things like that!

For instance, even though I'm not entirely an utter newbie anymore, I still have no idea of how the clan system works. And it took me a long time to find out about the IDS multiplier, and a lot of digging through older posts.

The Legends guide was also very very good, although I think by what you guys have suggested we could go into a lot more specific details; that guide covers a lot more general stuff (which is still necessary, to be sure), but I think there's lots of seemingly small things like the ones mentioned above, that we can do in quite a lot of detail.

I think it's a great initiative, and I hope it works out!
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

From post: 110630, Topic: tid=7767, author=Dingo wrote:I am currently trying to gather a kind of advanced FAQ to provide clear information that might get lost in a full manual, but nevertheless would be very useful to new and even moderate players. If anyone wishes to collaborate, please let me know!
Image Not sure if I posted this already (Yoda moment):

Q: Why, when I right-click on an object on the Nav map, it sometimes zooms in on a blank area of space?

A: When you're in the Top View and click (either left or right) on the Nav map, your actual location could be anywhere along the Y axis (the red line in the first diagram). The difference between clicking left or right is, with right-clicking, you zoom in on the map.

When you're in the Rear View and click on the Nav map, your actual location could be anywhere along the Z axis (the red line in the second diagram).

Ergo, you need to click on the Nav map in both views to specify your exact jump point (where the two lines intersect), as indicated in the third diagram.

You can never go wrong by using the following technique:

1. Select Top View.
2. Left click on your target.
3. Select Rear View.
4. Left click on your target.
5. Select Top View again.
6. Right click on your target.

The map zooms in when you right click. By left-clicking in both X-Z and X-Y maps, you've set your location in all three dimensions.

Q: How do I beat the AI pilot in the race?

A: Bottom line is go as fast as you can without spitting out. Using the speed multiplyer, it's now a lot easier than it used to be when you needed to use afterburner. Back then, you usually built up too much speed and ended up going too fast in the turns. Now, you just set your throttle to a constant speed, ignore the Navy guy (fly right past him at the entry point) and concentrate on the track.

Q: I've added music to my game but it doesn't play. What am I doing wrong?

A: Check the following ...

1. Make sure the music tracks are all in the compatible OGG format.
2. Always include them in sets of 3 (1-1, 2-1, 3-1, 1-2, 2-2, 3-3, etc) for all threat levels.
3. Verify the filenames are all correct for all sets of 3.
4. Make sure your system has enough memory to load the largest song.
Mecingo
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Mecingo »

From post: 110643, Topic: tid=7767, author=SeeJay wrote:I can also help out.

There is a lot of info on my site that could be used for a manual if you like.;)
Also hosting if that is needed.
Sure can, the more to help this get through the better.
Avenger
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Avenger »

Ok, I tried them recorders, the one that uses less space for the recording only took a series of screens that was supposed to be a movie so I tossed that one and tried that wegame one.

Managed to get a recording, it's pretty big but I will post it once it's uploaded on the tube.

[Edited on 7-16-2011 by Avenger]
Galaxy Defense Force Operator
Join the GDF!
Avenger
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Avenger »

Well, the quality of the video got raped by youtube but you still can see the basic idea, somewhat.....

combat video

Edit: This was a 12 foe contract in a hostile system.

Join the GDF!
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

:cool: The quality looks pretty good, Ave. Did you change any of the default settings?
Avenger
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Avenger »

No changes made to the settings, at least not that I am aware of.
Join the GDF!
Flying Brick
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Flying Brick »

Excellent, thank you very much Avenger! Things were a bit blurry but I know that's youtube, and not you.

A few questions:
- so were you using the Icespear?...
- the accuracy was pretty crazy, they seemed to die super fast; was MDTS on? It looked on to me, but I'm not sure if I interpreted the hud's signs correctly.
- were you using an autoCM or anti-missile? I couldn't tell...

I found it fascinating that you didn't seem to get hit a lot, even though you were flying at relatively low speeds...I'm not sure how you managed that, since even at higher speeds through the pack I seem to get hit way more - with cannon fire, I don't mean missiles.

Anyway, I gotta watch it a few more times.
Thanks again, both to you, and to Mecingo, and to all the other guys helping out!

cheers!
Dingo
Commander
Commander

Post by Dingo »

he wasnt using an auto-cm. he was using an icespear. and you dont get hit if you use lateral drift appropriately. only when changing directions, and only then for a second or too. cycle rate on cannons makes all the difference. I tried making a similar vid with an Evoch, but it makes me seasick to watch, and isnt worth posting now that Avenger has his.
Life is an illusion. Only shooting red things is real.
Flying Brick
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Flying Brick »

thank you for the clarifications, Dingo! Much appreciated.
Sorry to hear about the seasickness, I sympathize. One of my friends is a fan of flight sims, but he has the same problem (if not worse): gets dizzy from playing most 3D games, be it FPS, flight sim, you name it.

Man, I definitely need to give it a shot with the icespear then :P
Though I first gotta practice getting hit less...
Dingo
Commander
Commander

Post by Dingo »

Flying Brick. I would be happy to practice with you any time you come out on MP. Many others would too.
Life is an illusion. Only shooting red things is real.
Avenger
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Avenger »

From post: 110682, Topic: tid=7767, author=Flying Brick wrote:Excellent, thank you very much Avenger! Things were a bit blurry but I know that's youtube, and not you.

A few questions:
- so were you using the Icespear?...
- the accuracy was pretty crazy, they seemed to die super fast; was MDTS on? It looked on to me, but I'm not sure if I interpreted the hud's signs correctly.
- were you using an autoCM or anti-missile? I couldn't tell...

I found it fascinating that you didn't seem to get hit a lot, even though you were flying at relatively low speeds...I'm not sure how you managed that, since even at higher speeds through the pack I seem to get hit way more - with cannon fire, I don't mean missiles.

Anyway, I gotta watch it a few more times.
Thanks again, both to you, and to Mecingo, and to all the other guys helping out!

cheers!
No anti-missile system or auto cm launcher needed, the anti missile system takes too long to destroy a missile and the auto cm launcher just wastes a lot of cm's since you only need 1 per missile if triggered at the right time.

MDTS was on, I usually have it on but I have faught battles where I accidently turned it off but didn't notice it right away, but with lateral thrusters drifting MDTS is handy indeed.

As for the cannon, I really love the icespear cannon, you can fire that cannon all day long without running out of energy, great to keep preasure on the target with continues fire and great for shooting down missiles and still have energy left to shoot your target.
It's high rate of fire combined with a cannon relay + cannon heatsink has statistically 100 dmg per salvo and at 120 cycles fire rate + whatever the heatsink adds you don't have to be a math wiz to know the damage output will be high.
Mainly because you can fire all the time, where other weapons like the maxim-r need cooldown time to recharge or else they loose their initial cycle rate fire.

As you may have noticed I never flew through the pack, I only close in IDS mode depending on my speed I switch to inertial between 2000 and 50 yards and use the lateral thrusters to fly sideways and strafe the target until it is destroyed, sometimes it slides out of range so I just turn IDS back on to close in again.

When you or anyone else who catches me online is more then welcome to tag along for a contract to practice.

Join the GDF!
Flying Brick
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Flying Brick »

Awesome, thank you for the explanations and answers, Avenger!
And thank you guys, Avenger, Dingo and the others, for your offers - I will take you up on them whenever I pop in MP!