How To Fight 10 Hostiles "The Mecingo Way"

Tips, tactics, and general discussion for Evochron Legacy.
Mecingo
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Mecingo »

Deleted original video go check out the new one on my channel the same as my name.

[Edited on 7-13-2011 by Mecingo]

[Edited on 7-13-2011 by Mecingo]

[Edited on 8-22-2011 by Mecingo]
Dingo
Commander
Commander

Post by Dingo »

Nice video, pretty effective. I like to be in the middle of the swarm tho myself. Alternating IDS and inertial and always using lateral thrusters to keep out of the way of the fire. AI isnt too smart about where they aim.

[Edited on 7-13-2011 by Dingo]
Life is an illusion. Only shooting red things is real.
Mecingo
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Mecingo »

From post: 110502, Topic: tid=7767, author=Dingo wrote:AI isnt too smart about where they aim.
I know that all to well, they just know how to shoot, chase, and run when bombarded :D
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Post by Maarschalk »

Very Nice....for rookies that is.....;):P:cool:
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

Evochron Mercenary Stats:

Darkness is the absence of Light as Evil is the absence of Good
Avenger
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Avenger »

In all honesty you can defeat 10+ foes much faster and much easier.

You don't need to afterburn your way through all the time and you don't need that many CM's if you fight more in inert mode flying sideways.
That way you pretty much constantly face your enemies, you have better overview and you can shoot down most of the missiles, those few that you can't shoot you can spoof with just 1 CM.

If done right you don't get any damage at all.

Another thing I noticed is that you run out of energy several times because you fire both the particles and the lasers at the same time, even when the shields are completely gone you shoot the lasers, that is just wasting energy.

Personally I prefer to use the IceSpear cannon over the Maxim-R, it's higher rate of fire and low energy cost where the reason I swapped out my Maxim-R for the IceSpear.

With the cannon heatsink and cannon relay system the IceSpear is like a minigun and piles up the damage insanely fast.
Galaxy Defense Force Operator
Join the GDF!
Mecingo
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Mecingo »

From post: 110520, Topic: tid=7767, author=Avenger wrote:In all honesty you can defeat 10+ foes much faster and much easier.

You don't need to afterburn your way through all the time and you don't need that many CM's if you fight more in inert mode flying sideways.
That way you pretty much constantly face your enemies, you have better overview and you can shoot down most of the missiles, those few that you can't shoot you can spoof with just 1 CM.

If done right you don't get any damage at all.

Another thing I noticed is that you run out of energy several times because you fire both the particles and the lasers at the same time, even when the shields are completely gone you shoot the lasers, that is just wasting energy.

Personally I prefer to use the IceSpear cannon over the Maxim-R, it's higher rate of fire and low energy cost where the reason I swapped out my Maxim-R for the IceSpear.

With the cannon heatsink and cannon relay system the IceSpear is like a minigun and piles up the damage insanely fast.
I know what your getting at but I personally made it as far as I have on this method, I have to say for me at least the IceSpear didn't pull out much damage as I wanted to in one pass, I'll try the IceSpear again, and will use it if I get better results then last time, the Maxim-R though has decent range and causes a nice amount of damage.

I also should mention I find the lack of videos of this game to be quite disturbing, there are barely any tutorials for combat, trade, and other activities in the game out there. No wonder I some hear people are having trouble with combat, words can only do so much, but actual visual instruction along with worded instructions is best. Also the more videos that are out there, the better chance people will see this game and could make it go Main Stream. :cool:

Which I would love to see, in general the space sim genre reborn.

[Edited on 7-14-2011 by Mecingo]
Avenger
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Avenger »

I usually kill 3 - 4 foes in a single pass, 1 with missiles and after that 2 - 3 with cannons, depending on the foes ship class.

[Edited on 7-14-2011 by Avenger]
Join the GDF!
Mecingo
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Mecingo »

From post: 110523, Topic: tid=7767, author=Avenger wrote:I usually kill 3 - 4 foes in a single pass, 1 with missiles and after that 2 - 3 with cannons, depending on the ship foes ship class.
Oh that explains it, I can kill a lot faster with missiles as well, but I care to much about credits to do so all the time, they drain credits rather fast, the regenerative missiles are of my choice.

Avenger
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Avenger »

From post: 110524, Topic: tid=7767, author=Mecingo wrote:
From post: 110523, Topic: tid=7767, author=Avenger wrote:I usually kill 3 - 4 foes in a single pass, 1 with missiles and after that 2 - 3 with cannons, depending on the ship foes ship class.
Oh that explains it, I can kill a lot faster with missiles as well, but I care to much about credits to do so all the time, they drain credits rather fast, the regenerative missiles are more choice.
That's why I said missiles for 1 kill, the excal pack, the other kills are cannon kills.

When I run a 10 foes contract 1 kill is with excals, the other 9 cannon kills.
Join the GDF!
Avenger
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Avenger »

Is there a free program to record movies?

Fraps free version can only record 30 seconds.
Join the GDF!
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

:cool: I think it was Mec who suggested a program called CamStudio. I tried it but need to know the best settings.
Mecingo
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Mecingo »

Actually 2 good programs for recording Games

WeGame http://www.wegame.com/download/ FREE
Cam Studio http://camstudio.org/ FREE

WeGame doesn't need much changed settings, but takes up some hard-drive.
Cam Studio is settings are made correctly can take up little hard-drive to sacrifice quality.
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

From post: 110545, Topic: tid=7767, author=Mecingo wrote:Cam Studio is settings are made correctly can take up little hard-drive to sacrifice quality.
:o That's the problem. I don't want to sacrifice too much quality. But higher settings slow down the game.
Mecingo
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Mecingo »

From post: 110553, Topic: tid=7767, author=Marvin wrote:
From post: 110545, Topic: tid=7767, author=Mecingo wrote:Cam Studio is settings are made correctly can take up little hard-drive to sacrifice quality.
:o That's the problem. I don't want to sacrifice too much quality. But higher settings slow down the game.
WeGame doesn't slow the game play down, but a 4 min vid recorded by WeGame can take up over 500mb. :cool:
Avenger
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Avenger »

500mb for 4 minutes, geez.

Not going to do that, besides, I have shown several new and older players alike tactics to fight.
I actually prefer hands on training then a video anyway. :cool:
Join the GDF!
Flying Brick
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Flying Brick »

From post: 110521, Topic: tid=7767, author=Mecingo wrote:
I also should mention I find the lack of videos of this game to be quite disturbing, there are barely any tutorials for combat, trade, and other activities in the game out there. No wonder I some hear people are having trouble with combat, words can only do so much, but actual visual instruction along with worded instructions is best. Also the more videos that are out there, the better chance people will see this game and could make it go Main Stream. :cool:

Which I would love to see, in general the space sim genre reborn.

Hey Mecingo,

thanks for the video(s)! Awesome stuff, and definitely helpful for new pilots like myself.

I cannot agree more with what you said in the quote above. It's a pity, really. I found Vice's youtube vids immensely helpful when I started out, otherwise the learning curve is rather steep. No combat vids though so far, unfortunately, but I can't blame him with so many things to take care all by himself :)

So yeah, I can't thank you enough for this. I wish there were more of these around, it would certainly help increase the game's popularity and help out people with lousy flying/combat instincts like myself :D

So a heartfelt thank you for your efforts!

cheers,
FB

edit: one question: It seemed to me (maybe I need to watch it again, more carefully), that you were able to accelerate quite a lot and quite fast, and it was _not_ by using the afterburners (well, not all the time, is what I mean).
Was that because military frames have better acceleration than civvies can get, or you were in fact using the afterburner the whole time?
What I mean is, do you ever try to accelerate using the "normal" thrusters, or only by afterburner?

thank you again!

[Edited on 7-15-2011 by Flying Brick]
Flying Brick
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Flying Brick »

From post: 110594, Topic: tid=7767, author=Avenger wrote:500mb for 4 minutes, geez.

Not going to do that, besides, I have shown several new and older players alike tactics to fight.
I actually prefer hands on training then a video anyway. :cool:
While that may be the best way to teach, you're only helping one person at a time, if and when both of you have time, mood, etc.
A video will help many more people, all the time...although, admittedly, takes quite a lot more effort on your side - but has a significantly larger impact.

Obviously I don't have any standing to ask you (or anybody else) to make the effort, so I won't.
But if you were to do it anyway, I am pretty sure it'd be appreciated, and a lot more people would be very grateful.

I will guess there may have been a few players around who picked up the game, couldn't get over the learning curve, especially combat, and gave it up. Naturally, they didn't hype it to their friends, either - for obvious reasons.
Most people, like myself, will probably never be more than mediocre at best in combat, without any examples or initial help. And once you realize that, the game is less fun, and if it's not fun, then why keep doing it, instead of picking up something else where you can do better...

And before someone berates me for daring to criticize any aspect of the game, well, I'm still here, aren't I ? :)

I guess my bottom line is that videos are a GREAT help, and a fantastic way to help many people at once. So thanks to any folks who take the time to do this, in the past, present or future.
Dingo
Commander
Commander

Post by Dingo »

I agree with the airborn masonry above. While some of the experienced players amongst us can criticize different techniques (and we never agree on much anyway) these videos would have been invaluable for me to start. Besides this, it seems to me that learning combat occurs in definite discrete stages, and videos on these stages would be useful. I may do this myself actually. These stages are impacted not only by innate abilities, but also by equipment avaliable at the time, and by how internalized and automatic the combat process is. The latter will take some time, regardless of the techniques one may know. I encourage any new player reading this not to give up. We all ran screaming from 4 reds at some point. If you keep it up eventually the ai reds will pose no serious threat.
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

:cool: I, too, agree. And not just about the usefullness of combat tutorials. Flix covering navigation and ship upgrading would also answer a lot of oft-asked questions. Which is why I'm interested it finding the best freebie screen-capture software.
Flying Brick
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Flying Brick »

Thank you Marvin, Dingo. :)

Marvin, I agree that there's a whole lot of apparently small details about navigation and upgrading that, put together, make a pretty big difference. I've been trying to write down ideas and findings as I ran into them, but it hasn't been a very successful endeavor so far. I'll share what I have nonetheless, in the hope that it might someday help another new pilot.

And, just to clarify: I don't mean to imply that videos is the only way, or anything like that. All methods help, and I honestly believe that the Flying School idea (thread in MP subforum) is a _great_ idea and initiative, and I intend to personally take part whenever it is feasible for me!
So thanks to all the experienced pilots who volunteer their time and efforts in there, and in any other way!

cheers!
Dingo
Commander
Commander

Post by Dingo »

I am currently trying to gather a kind of advanced FAQ to provide clear information that might get lost in a full manual, but nevertheless would be very useful to new and even moderate players. If anyone wishes to collaborate, please let me know!

[Edited on 7-15-2011 by Dingo]
MMaggio
Captain
Captain

Post by MMaggio »

I can think of a few...
How to chat
How to see player list
How to set pitch & heading & why
And what the "C" ratings mean
Seems to me that those would make a good start.
\"To kill hubris with humility is a goal rarely achieved by men\"
Dingo
Commander
Commander

Post by Dingo »

Thanks MM. That's the sort of thing i want to have. Not everyone would read it of course, but if someone is confused, and not getting the explanation, I want them to have a place to go. Things like using the IDS multiplier and such as well, and about how clan system control works, and what stations do in detail.
Mecingo
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Mecingo »

I might do some videos on navigation, different weapons, economies, and ship configuration. I even might get back into that old rust bucket and start videos on how to fight with a crappy ship which can be difficult :P

I realize everyone goes through different learning stages in combat, it's like learning a instrument, no one plays Moonlight sonata as their first song on the keyboard.
SeeJay
Captain
Captain

Post by SeeJay »

I can also help out.

There is a lot of info on my site that could be used for a manual if you like.;)
Also hosting if that is needed.
\"Nothing is impossible, it only takes a bit longer!\"
\"We are not retreating, we are advancing in another direction!\"

http://evochron.junholt.se (Old)
http://www.evochron2.junholt.se (New)
http://mercenary.junholt.se (Map)
http://www.junholt.se/evoschool/index.htm (No spoilers)
-8- Bzzzzzzzzz! -8- -8-