Going to a different Solar System

Tips, tactics, and general discussion for Evochron Legacy.
wolvie
Ensign
Ensign

Post by wolvie »

Hey, folks! I've been playing the game for quite some time now, and I really like it; it's very intriguing. Anyhow, I'm doing the IMG quest now, and I'm supposed to go to Mining station near Olympus. First of all there's no way I could know where Olympus is. I used the IMG Quest help from that website that one of the guys on the forum has and put all the coordinates given (Olympus (Delta) Harris Mining Station SecX 1249 SecY 0 SecZ 502 PosX 14000 PosY 7000 PosZ 28000). However, I've been flying and jumping for a while now, and still nothing the waypoint keeps sending me farther and farther. I can't even see any planets or anything on the Nav Map when I zoom out now (that's how far I went). So, my question is, is this normal? Is Olympus that far. Also how do you guys figure out where to go and find places on the map (without using the IMG quest help). I see the quadrant section of the Nac Map but it ain't really helpful; I can't set a waypoint or anything like that. Any help on how to maneuver through different Solar Systems will be quite helpfu!

Thanks! Happy Fourth of July! And God bless the land of the free and the home of the brave!!!
49rTbird
Captain
Captain

Post by 49rTbird »

To got to a different system, open your nav map and zoom all the way out. You should see something unless you have gotten way out. If you can jump onto MP and get some help there. Have you done any of the offline training sessions?:)
Explore! Explore! Explore! \"There is no going back (Yet) so Make Today Count!
wolvie
Ensign
Ensign

Post by wolvie »

still nothing. I can zoom out as far as I can and it's still space with nothing. I am officially lost in space...
SeeJay
Captain
Captain

Post by SeeJay »

Whats you current location? Welcome by the way;)

You are probably between systems.

[Edited on 2011-7-4 by SeeJay]
\"Nothing is impossible, it only takes a bit longer!\"
\"We are not retreating, we are advancing in another direction!\"

http://evochron.junholt.se (Old)
http://www.evochron2.junholt.se (New)
http://mercenary.junholt.se (Map)
http://www.junholt.se/evoschool/index.htm (No spoilers)
-8- Bzzzzzzzzz! -8- -8-
Flying Brick
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Flying Brick »

Hi wolvie,

Did you play with the nav map as I think I suggested? :)
One of the buttons shows you the quadrant map, with all the "mapped" systems. See if you can find Olympus among them.
Moreover, there _usually_ (but there are exceptions!) are jump gates that help you travel "instantly" from one of these systems to another (I'm still talking about the "mapped" systems).

If you look around in the Sapphire system (using the nav map, and toggling the text mode for the various objects in space), you might find one of these jump gates...

Good luck, and let us know to what extent you actually want spoilers, and how much you want to figure out on your own.
People tend to be more conservative with their answers because they are wary of spoiling too much.
wolvie
Ensign
Ensign

Post by wolvie »

well I managed to get back near New Hope after 30min of traveling and jumping through space. The thing I realized is that it seems like it takes forever for me to jump through space. I noticed that i can set the waypoint far where I want but when I actually jump through space I can "jump" one square at a time. I've been playing with the map but I still can't figure out how to efficiently use the quadrant part of it. I see the systems but I can't set a waypoint or see where I am on it, so it's really no help. As far as spoilers, I just want to know how to navigate and get where I am supposed to, and find places without having to look through threads in the forum. :)
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by DaveK »

Hi wolvie

when you upgrade your jump drive you can jump up to five sectors at a time and there is experimental technology out there to find that doubles that (so rumour and a quick peek in my engine room tells me) Look in the guide at the equipment upgrades available. Upgrading makes moving around a system less laborious

If you use autopilot you will continue to jump until you reach your destination (even if it is one sector at a time!) You can actually set the coordinates in the nav screen manually to beyond what you can see in the map even when it is zoomed out, though you obviously need to know the coordinates of where you want to get to!! :):):)

you can actually use your jump drive to move to new systems but it takes a long time and a lot of fuel - it's the only way to get to Sol for example and most if not all of the uncharted systems (of which there are many!) because they don't have gates leading to them :)
Callsign: Incoming
Life is like a sewer... what you get out of it depends on what you put into it. - Bob Newhart
Hell is being in a pure platinum asteroid field... with a diamond mining beam
ImageImage
wolvie
Ensign
Ensign

Post by wolvie »

Thanks guys now I'm getting it. Just a quick question how do you guys figure out the location and the coordinates of a place you are told to go when it's not on the map like Olympus. And somehow I lost all my saved profiles, so I am not quite happy that I have to start over, as I had a pretty descent spacecraft built, but such is life...
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Unless you actually deleted the profiles yourself, they're probably still there. Even if you delete them in-game, they will be backed up using a 'bak' file extension and just need to be renamed with a 'sw' file extension to be restored.

For other solar system, click on the 'Quadrant' button on the lower right side of the nav console to view the quadrant map (which also displays the sector coordinates of the other systems).
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
MMaggio
Captain
Captain

Post by MMaggio »

This may surprise you, but if you join MP, we can walk you thru it and answer any questions.
See you soon...
\"To kill hubris with humility is a goal rarely achieved by men\"
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

From post: 110075, Topic: tid=7739, author=MMaggio wrote:This may surprise you, but if you join MP, we can walk you thru it and answer any questions.
:cool: This might help: http://www.starwraith.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6126

It helped MMaggio, I think. A little bit, anyway.
wolvie
Ensign
Ensign

Post by wolvie »

From post: 110085, Topic: tid=7739, author=Marvin wrote:
From post: 110075, Topic: tid=7739, author=MMaggio wrote:This may surprise you, but if you join MP, we can walk you thru it and answer any questions.
:cool: This might help: http://www.starwraith.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6126

It helped MMaggio, I think. A little bit, anyway.

Well, I checked it out and it made sense so I tried it. And it worked like a charm. I finally got it. Why thank you, sir!