New pilot, awesome game!

Tips, tactics, and general discussion for Evochron Legacy.
Flying Brick
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

New pilot, awesome game!

Post by Flying Brick »

Hi all,

Just discovered this a couple of weeks ago, and there aren't enough praise words for how awesome it is!
Been lurking on the forums for a while now, so I know that the game and Vice have been already praised in all possible ways, and it's likely I can't add any new praise, but I'll give it a try anyway :)

I love the freeform idea, I love the soo many small touches that make a big difference, I think the concept of sandbox is great the way it is implemented, it's great that there is no mandatory grinding or stifling the player in any way (money is more than plentiful, so you can really do whatever you want, try any frames, weapons, anything you really want - how awesome is that?), I love the richness of the universe and especially the idea of exploration, the fact that you can interact with nebulae, the flying in planetary atmosphere, the inertial flight and combat, the music - and I could go on and on...

I am also beyond impressed by Vice, so pardon me if I sound like a fanboy, but I think you have a great attitude towards your players, it's really impressive how you continue to improve the game with frequent updates, address bugs/issues, the listening to the players' feedback, all those things are really great and amazing - and you're doing it all by yourself, which is pretty damn unbelievable!

So, thank you for a great game and many happy hours, like many others have said, by far the best 30 bucks I've ever spent, and I I am really impressed with how many things this game just "gets right". I hope the game(s) gain even more popularity and exposure, these are true gems, and I really wish I had heard of them before! Best space sims I've played, and I've started with Elite myself, and take out Privateer every couple of years - but this will replace all that from now on!

Congratulations for amazing work, Vice, and thank you for the awesomeness that Evochron Mercenary is - I only wish I had tried its predecessors, too...

And you guys seem like a really nice and helpful community, I got lots of info from these forums. I'm more of an SP player, but who knows, maybe at some point I'll give it a shot and take some flying lessons (I did not choose my username accidentally)...
Are there any other servers that people play on usually, or just the Remula1?
SeeJay
Captain
Captain

New pilot, awesome game!

Post by SeeJay »

Hi and welcome.

I can only agree in your praise on Vice and the community. (They Rock).

Hop online for some great action and fun.
/SeeJay
\"Nothing is impossible, it only takes a bit longer!\"
\"We are not retreating, we are advancing in another direction!\"

http://evochron.junholt.se (Old)
http://www.evochron2.junholt.se (New)
http://mercenary.junholt.se (Map)
http://www.junholt.se/evoschool/index.htm (No spoilers)
-8- Bzzzzzzzzz! -8- -8-
Jack Dandy
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

New pilot, awesome game!

Post by Jack Dandy »

Hi there, welcome aboard man.
Remula 1 is usually the most populated server, yeah.

Maybe I'll see you out there sometime!
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

New pilot, awesome game!

Post by Marvin »

From post: 109789, Topic: tid=7729, author=Flying Brick wrote:I'm more of an SP player, but who knows, maybe at some point I'll give it a shot and take some flying lessons (I did not choose my username accidentally)...
Are there any other servers that people play on usually, or just the Remula1?
:cool: It's a great SP game but even better in MP ... be you a brick or a feather. And other servers have popped up now and then but MMaggio's R1 server is the only one you can rely upon to be there 24-7, all year long.
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

New pilot, awesome game!

Post by Maarschalk »

Hi Flying Brick, welcome to the game and forum. Hope to see you out there some time...;):cool:
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

Evochron Mercenary Stats:

Darkness is the absence of Light as Evil is the absence of Good
Flying Brick
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

New pilot, awesome game!

Post by Flying Brick »

thank you all for your warm welcome, guys.
Ok, ok, I'll try to pop in online with my trusty brick, perhaps I can just bludgeon the Vonari to death!
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

New pilot, awesome game!

Post by Marvin »

:cool: Also, bricks make for very good turret gunners ... something they can only do in MP. ;)
Flying Brick
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

New pilot, awesome game!

Post by Flying Brick »

From post: 109799, Topic: tid=7729, author=Marvin wrote::cool: Also, bricks make for very good turret gunners ... something they can only do in MP. ;)
Yes, the gunner thing is definitely one of the things I want to try. All the fun of shooting at things, with none of the responsibility for keeping ourselves alive, what more could I ask for? :D

Does the turret gunner have any control over the ship's movement, or just the turret's? Also, what range can he cover, only ships roughly behind our own ship, or ?...
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

New pilot, awesome game!

Post by Marvin »

:cool: The gunner can't take control of the ship ... leave that to the pilot. And there is restrictive movement to the turret but, as the pilot frantically maneuvers, you'll find that the restriction isn't much of a problem. Also, the guns you use are your own ... making for a deadly combination if you coordinate weapons with the person in the driver's seat.
49rTbird
Captain
Captain

New pilot, awesome game!

Post by 49rTbird »

Hello Flying Brick, Welcome to the forum and the Sim. Have fun and hope to see you in Multi-Player sometime.:)
Explore! Explore! Explore! \"There is no going back (Yet) so Make Today Count!
Flying Brick
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

New pilot, awesome game!

Post by Flying Brick »

Sounds awesome :D can't wait to try it!
Thank you, thetiebers, and all you guys!
Flying Brick
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

New pilot, awesome game!

Post by Flying Brick »

From post: 109794, Topic: tid=7729, author=Maarschalk wrote:Hi Flying Brick, welcome to the game and forum. Hope to see you out there some time...;):cool:
One more question...what times do people gather 'round, are there meeting times or anything, or at least when are there more folks on? I don't have a clear idea of what timezone everyone is yet...
MMaggio
Captain
Captain

New pilot, awesome game!

Post by MMaggio »

The server runs 24/7 and is free to all.
We have players from all over the world, so there are usually ppl playing at any hour in a 24 hr period.
Just join whenever it is convenient for you. I would suggest you make it at a time when you will be free to play for a long time as you may not want to quit! ;)
\"To kill hubris with humility is a goal rarely achieved by men\"
Rush
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

New pilot, awesome game!

Post by Rush »

From post: 109824, Topic: tid=7729, author=MMaggio wrote:I would suggest you make it at a time when you will be free to play for a long time as you may not want to quit! ;)
Wise words :D

Usually there are more people when in USA it's afternoon-evening, so evening for Europe ;)
But australian guys are always around :D:D

Universe Explorers Clan
[UE]Rush
Dengar
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

New pilot, awesome game!

Post by Dengar »

FB.

Please be advised that BA run a TeamSpeak server 24/7 (Windows updates permitting) so that you can chat to your buddies. We can provide any clan with their own channel. However there is a voice chat function within the game itself.

Everything you want in a game.

We look forward to seeing you in MP to give you a real Evochron welcome!

\"Cry Havoc! and let slip the dogs of war\"

BA TeamSpeak Details
Sinbad
Commander
Commander

New pilot, awesome game!

Post by Sinbad »

Hey there Flying Brick! Great name!

Welcome to Evochron. Don't be shy to join MP... it's so much more fun! There's a real mix of newbies and veterans alike, and everyone's very friendly out there (with 1 or 2 exceptions!).

:cool:

Universe Explorers Clan
[UE]Sinbad
Clan Leader

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known. - Carl Sagan
Flying Brick
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

New pilot, awesome game!

Post by Flying Brick »

thank you all, guys!
Thanks for all the info and the welcome, and I'll drop by together with my trusty Slowmaster to brick some reds!
Dengar
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

New pilot, awesome game!

Post by Dengar »

Ooooh We really look forward to the welcome!!!

\"Cry Havoc! and let slip the dogs of war\"

BA TeamSpeak Details
Flying Brick
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

New pilot, awesome game!

Post by Flying Brick »

From post: 109872, Topic: tid=7729, author=Dengar wrote:Ooooh We really look forward to the welcome!!!
Ahem...you mean I should watch my six? :P
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

New pilot, awesome game!

Post by Marvin »

:cool: BA aren't really that good at using a clock ... but, yes, when they're around, it's a good idea to check six once in awhile.
Flying Brick
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

New pilot, awesome game!

Post by Flying Brick »

From post: 109892, Topic: tid=7729, author=Marvin wrote::cool: BA aren't really that good at using a clock ... but, yes, when they're around, it's a good idea to check six once in awhile.
ROFL! :D :D

actually, I have a couple more questions about MP - not sure this is the place to ask them, but since we were on topic already... if I log on an MP game, do I appear in the same station I was when I exited my SP game, or some other default (Sapphire, or whatever)? What if that was my own station, where does that put me in the MP game?

Also, are there any PvP rules on R1? is anybody fair game at any time, anywhere (except perhaps Sapphire) ?

Do I carry my reputation from my SP game into the MP game?
I'm not sure what state transfers between SP and MP...
Dingo
Commander
Commander

New pilot, awesome game!

Post by Dingo »

Jump on and see!
Life is an illusion. Only shooting red things is real.
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

New pilot, awesome game!

Post by Vice »

if I log on an MP game, do I appear in the same station I was when I exited my SP game, or some other default (Sapphire, or whatever)?
Same save point you had in SP. Both modes are very similar and share most of the same parameters/conditions.
What if that was my own station, where does that put me in the MP game?
In open space. MP player built stations follow the server you play on. SP built stations follow your profile.
Also, are there any PvP rules on R1? is anybody fair game at any time, anywhere (except perhaps Sapphire) ?
It seems to vary and depends on who is on at the time. Some clans/players hunt new players for sport to 'initialize' them. Many players join in to help and will PvP with you on request for practice if you like, or fly on your wing to complete contracts with you.
Do I carry my reputation from my SP game into the MP game?
Here are some details on that and other differences:

Differences include the fleet system, which is for AI ships in SP and for human players in MP (uses a similar 'clan' ID and linking system). Human players carry with them a common reputation structure in MP while in SP (to help facilitate PvE and PvP scenarios), your reputations can be unique for the profile you are using at the time offline.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
Flying Brick
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

New pilot, awesome game!

Post by Flying Brick »

Thank you so much for the clarifications and explanations, Vice! I really like that most state carries over between SP and MP, that's great!

I did go on R1 for a little while, everybody was very nice and friendly and helpful, and I didn't even get shot at...
Looking forward to more, esp. the turret gunner, and I could sure use some PvP practice! (though it'll likely be more like target practice for my opponent, but hey, at least my brick will provide for some nice fireworks!)

Thanks again to everyone for all your replies!
Flying Brick
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

New pilot, awesome game!

Post by Flying Brick »

Ah, I think that after a bit more digging through the forum, I understand your last statement in a different (clearer) light!

I found this quote from you (Vice) at some point in the past:

"Multiplayer reputations are synchronized for human players as part of the fleet system and to accommodate the conditions for multiplayer itself. Reputations are 'locked' in to protect your earned reputations for various actions while you're in multiplayer (primarily so that taking actions you may need to in multiplayer do not adversely effect the reputations you have earned in single player)."

It's a longer quote, but the gist of it, if I understand correctly, is that whatever I do in MP does NOT affect my reputation in SP, and this is intentional, to allow players complete freedom and fun in MP, and not ruin their hard-earned reputations in SP.

Is this still the case?

That'd be great, because then it means that when I jump into MP, I don't have to stay in Pearl for fear that I'd ruin my reputation if I left...however, I guess that before I log out of MP, I should come back to Pearl so that next time I log in SP mode, I'd reappear in Pearl - otherwise, if I log in SP mode and I'm not in Pearl, I would have lost my reputation. Is this correct ?

Thank you! It seems that I the more things I find out about this game, the more I like it - playing carefree in MP without worrying about losing your SP achievements is excellent!