Why am I performing worse in combat with Venture than the Raven?

Tips, tactics, and general discussion for Evochron Legacy.
Thauros
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Thauros »

Bought the game a few days ago and I'm already addicted, it's the best space merc game I've played since Freelancer.

I want to upgrade from the Raven frame I've been using for a while. I figured the Venture would be a good choice since the base agility is the same, and my top speed, agility, and shields would all improve thanks to the additional assembly points. Despite there being no disadvantages that I can see, I've been performing far worse in combat. I both seem to be getting it more, and the shields seem to be performing worse despite upgrading a slot. Any reason for this that I'm not seeing, or is it all in my head?
Rush
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Rush »

It's probably the second case ;)
Try to work on fighting skills, especially inertial combat. If I find you online in MP, I can give you some training :D

Universe Explorers Clan
[UE]Rush
Dingo
Commander
Commander

Post by Dingo »

welcome Thauros. Sometimes the frames can be a bit of a mystery, and sometime we're just fooling ourselves! Either way, I doubt you'll be in a raven for long, so give it time to adjust perhaps? I hope to see you out there in MP some day.
Life is an illusion. Only shooting red things is real.
Malix
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Malix »

Maybe speed related? Venture is quite a lot bigger than raven, so you need to turn your engines to a tad bigger gear to go as fast as with previous frame.
Evochron Mercenaries rank: newbie
SeeJay
Captain
Captain

Post by SeeJay »

From post: 109542, Topic: tid=7719, author=Malix wrote:Maybe speed related? Venture is quite a lot bigger than raven, so you need to turn your engines to a tad bigger gear to go as fast as with previous frame.
Or you could use the IDS multiplier!;)
\"Nothing is impossible, it only takes a bit longer!\"
\"We are not retreating, we are advancing in another direction!\"

http://evochron.junholt.se (Old)
http://www.evochron2.junholt.se (New)
http://mercenary.junholt.se (Map)
http://www.junholt.se/evoschool/index.htm (No spoilers)
-8- Bzzzzzzzzz! -8- -8-
Rush
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Rush »

Or inertia + lots of afterburner ;)

Universe Explorers Clan
[UE]Rush
Malix
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Malix »

From post: 109547, Topic: tid=7719, author=SeeJay wrote:
From post: 109542, Topic: tid=7719, author=Malix wrote:Maybe speed related? Venture is quite a lot bigger than raven, so you need to turn your engines to a tad bigger gear to go as fast as with previous frame.
Or you could use the IDS multiplier!;)
Ah, yes. IDS multiplier! Thats exactly what I meant with "gear" but had a DERP-moment and forgot its name. x)

It's kinda silly IDS multiplier up/down doesn't have any keys assigned by default, but thats a minor grievance. It only took a day in the forums for me to learn about it ;)
Evochron Mercenaries rank: newbie
Jack Dandy
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Jack Dandy »

My advice? Get a military ship, bro. They're waaay more fun to handle in combat. You'll notice the difference right away, even with the more basic ones.
Thauros
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Thauros »

I had no idea you could manually adjust the IDS. I figured you had to buy an upgrade at some base I hadn't found yet to change it. Thanks for the info , I'll give it a try.

I'm still a little confused as to why the Venture performed so badly for me. I changed to the Striker for the same price and am doing much better with it despite losing agility.
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

From post: 109561, Topic: tid=7719, author=Jack Dandy wrote:Get a military ship, bro. You'll notice the difference right away, even with the more basic ones.
:cool: Yes, military ships were made for combat. Civilian ships are made for trade and exploration. It's why the Evochron universe is populated with two basic types of ships.
vohk
Ensign
Ensign

Post by vohk »

From post: 109588, Topic: tid=7719, author=Thauros wrote:I'm still a little confused as to why the Venture performed so badly for me. I changed to the Striker for the same price and am doing much better with it despite losing agility.
Related question for the veterans: do the base energy recharge rates change with the frame? Would Alliance ships have more juice than the average Fed?

I ask because I've been searching around but havn't been able to find a complete answer for the differences between Alliance and Federation Civ frames. Looking here and in the shipyard menu, it would appear that (for bigger frames at least) the Federation versions are superior to their Alliance counterparts in nearly every way. They seem to have greater armour, agility, assembly, and even greater base speed for the most part. Even going down the list, as far as I can tell, the Alliance's only consistent advantage is a few points in base speed.

Do Alliance Civ's have better power plants, just great personalities, or is there something else I'm missing?
49rTbird
Captain
Captain

Post by 49rTbird »

Hello Thauros, Welcome to the forum and the Sim. Have fun and hope to see you in Multi-Player sometime.:)
Explore! Explore! Explore! \"There is no going back (Yet) so Make Today Count!
Argamonius
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Argamonius »

I find the same inconsistancy with starmaster vs chimera, everyone says chimera has better armor but the stats dont bare that out, starmaster appears to have way more then the chimera. Currently my choice of ships even having looked at the military ships. With max wings and shields (and engines sometimes) the Starmaster is a beast (esp with enhancement components)

Starmasters Rule the heavy wieght class.
Regent
\" no!.. do or do not..there is no try..\' -Yoda
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

:cool: Starmaster: 300 ... Chimera: 375

Check here ...

http://www.starwraith.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6887

The second military chart ... the one titled "Specifications as of March 2011."
MMaggio
Captain
Captain

Post by MMaggio »

Has anyone noticed that there are two different armor ratings for the Chimera?
\"To kill hubris with humility is a goal rarely achieved by men\"
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

:cool: Do you mean the old and the new? If so, the old rating doesn't count ... unless you're playing an old version of Mercenary.