Crash On Startup: Evochron Mercenary Has Stopped Working *FIXED*

For help with SW3DG game related technical issues.
sirrealist
Ensign
Ensign

Post by sirrealist »

Hello!

That is the error message I get when I try to run the game. I have the newest demo installed. The game does not load at all, just flashes that error and asks to close to check online for solution. I have double-checked that I have the 3 .dll files. I have reinstalled the game. I have plenty of available physical memory free. I have the newest nvidia drivers. I have all windows updates installed. I have turned off all overclocking. I have tried running in it xp compatibility mode (and have full admin rights). I have a plethora of other games running fine and no other system crashes/problems. Thoughts on solutions to try? I read another thread where the guy had the same issue with vista, but the solution another guy found was updates.

SYSTEM SPECS:
Asus G73JW
i7 740
8GB RAM
Nvidia 460m
Win7 x64

[Edited on 5-30-2011 by Vice]
49rTbird
Captain
Captain

Post by 49rTbird »

Hello sirrealist, a bunch of us run with Win7 x64 so that should not be your problem. What is the error message? Welcome to the forum and hopefully the Sim. Have fun and hope to see you in Multi-Player sometime.:)
Explore! Explore! Explore! \"There is no going back (Yet) so Make Today Count!
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

How much of the 8 GB of memory is available to programs as listed in MSINFO? If you're running Vista, which service pack are you using? I'd like to see the full msinfo report on the system: http://www.starwraith.com/evochronmercenary/faq.htm#8
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
sirrealist
Ensign
Ensign

Post by sirrealist »

Thanks for helping!

I'm very much looking forward to getting this working. Below you can see the error message that pops up when I try to run the game. Also, I am not running vista, but rather Win7 SP1 x64.

Vice, as per the instructions on the page you linked me to, I have send an email with the file attached. Please let me know if you get it.

Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

I received it, but it was in a 7z format that I don't have a decompressor for. If you just zip it using the default Windows option, that will work.
StarWraith 3D Games
sirrealist
Ensign
Ensign

Post by sirrealist »

From post: 107579, Topic: tid=7598, author=Vice wrote: I received it, but it was in a 7z format that I don't have a decompressor for. If you just zip it using the default Windows option, that will work.
Okay, resent as .zip format. Please let me know if you get it, as IDK if gmail blocks .zip files.
I have 6.72GB of physical memory free.

BTW, you should check out 7zip... it's the best archiver, free and open source (like the VLC of archiving programs).
http://www.7-zip.org/

[Edited on 5-22-2011 by sirrealist]

[Edited on 5-22-2011 by sirrealist]
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Thanks. The error relates to the D3D dll, so this means it is a display problem on your system (most likely, the game is not being allowed to access your primary display and associated DirectX dependencies). Here is a step to try:

1 - You have a LogMeIn mirror driver that has displaced your GeForce 460 from the primary device slot (including removal of the display settings from the device listing). This may not be an issue, but it's a quick step to try. Temporarily disable the LogMeIn device entirely, restart the system, verify it is no longer active (with only your 460 listed), then launch and test the game.
StarWraith 3D Games
sirrealist
Ensign
Ensign

Post by sirrealist »

From post: 107581, Topic: tid=7598, author=Vice wrote:Temporarily disable the LogMeIn device entirely, restart the system, verify it is no longer active (with only your 460 listed), then launch and test the game.
I completely uninstalled the LogMeIn device via device manager (I had already uninstalled the program another day), rebooted, and no joy.

[rrquote=107583]Install the latest test build, get it here, and see if that fixes things for you.[/rrquote]

Should I uninstall the current build before installing this one, or install over the current one?

Also, just as a note (i don't think it should matter, but you never know), I did not install into the default location (I put games under a separate directory).
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

The build you have should be fine to test with. Lets also try a default install. Go ahead and uninstall the build you have, then reinstall it to the default folder location. Then right click on the game's desktop icon, then left click on 'Run as administrator'. Please post the results.
StarWraith 3D Games
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Post by Maarschalk »

Hi Sirealist, welcome to the forum and hopefully the game once you get it working....what resolution are you using and what is the max resolution of your dispay screen? Try a standard resolution and see if that gets it to work....;):cool:
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

Evochron Mercenary Stats:

Darkness is the absence of Light as Evil is the absence of Good
sirrealist
Ensign
Ensign

Post by sirrealist »

From post: 107590, Topic: tid=7598, author=Vice wrote: The build you have should be fine to test with. Lets also try a default install. Go ahead and uninstall the build you have, then reinstall it to the default folder location. Then right click on the game's desktop icon, then left click on 'Run as administrator'. Please post the results.
No joy :(

From post: 107593, Topic: tid=7598, author=Maarschalk wrote:Hi Sirealist, welcome to the forum and hopefully the game once you get it working....what resolution are you using and what is the max resolution of your dispay screen? Try a standard resolution and see if that gets it to work....;):cool:
1920x1080
sirrealist
Ensign
Ensign

Post by sirrealist »

Any other ideas? I've gotten so excited about the game, I've watched all the training videos and told friends to play it :D
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

The cause is likely related to the logged problems in the other games, all seem to report render, memory, core DLL, or d3d errors with the same exception code. It could indicate either drivers or hardware (since you're drivers are very new, it may be hardware related). A few suggestions:

1 - Run a system file integrity check. Click on Start > Run/Search > type in SFC /SCANNOW and press enter. You should see a window open and a scan take place. If the screen just flashes briefly, you may need to run the program with an administrator account or in safe mode.

2 - Run a full scan with Malwarebytes: http://www.malwarebytes.org/

3 - Uninstall D3DOverrider, then install the latest updates for Windows 7.

4 - Remove and reseat your graphics card. Verify the cords are plugged in properly.

5 - Rollback your display driver to an earlier version. Launch and test the game.

If the above doesn't help, it's possible that the problem is in hardware, specifically the graphics card may be faulty.
StarWraith 3D Games
sirrealist
Ensign
Ensign

Post by sirrealist »

got it working!

Problem was D3DOverrider. I shut it down and now the game loads. I guess the game doesn't like having triple buffering and/or vsync forced. Or, it just doesn't play well with D3DOverrider. Might be useful for the dev team to troubleshoot and find out why, for their own knowledge.

Thanks for the help!
SeeJay
Captain
Captain

Post by SeeJay »

Hi and welcome.

Great that you got it working. Hope to see you in MP.
(There is no dev team. One man show!) Vice Rocks!;)
\"Nothing is impossible, it only takes a bit longer!\"
\"We are not retreating, we are advancing in another direction!\"

http://evochron.junholt.se (Old)
http://www.evochron2.junholt.se (New)
http://mercenary.junholt.se (Map)
http://www.junholt.se/evoschool/index.htm (No spoilers)
-8- Bzzzzzzzzz! -8- -8-
MMaggio
Captain
Captain

Post by MMaggio »

Yeah! I love that phrase, "developement team"! Just Vice, a few scraps of paper and an hour on the 'john' will solve just about any problem! ;) That's the "developement team"! LOL :P:P:P
\"To kill hubris with humility is a goal rarely achieved by men\"
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

I guess he could be referring to the 'dev team' for D3DOverrider. That would be the best direction to go anyway since it appears that program may have been causing all kinds of games to crash (D3D9 and D3D11). Plus, this game doesn't really do anything unusual when setting up rendering, so it's probably something the developers of D3DO would need to look into and fix so that their program will work with more games.
StarWraith 3D Games