[EM] Sound output question (weapon impacts)...

For help with SW3DG game related technical issues.
Ophiuchus
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by Ophiuchus »

Not real sure this slice belongs on this thread or on the tech support line. We'll see what happens. :)
I have a RealTek sound card/chip set, embedded in an ASUS Sabertooth X58 motherboard, appropriate/usual connections on the back-plane. All motherboard drivers and sound card drivers are/have been installed, and are current this month. I am using a Logitech 5-speaker (Z313 system w/subwoofer and two Z320's) sound components, in a quadriphonic set-up, as my gaming/computer system's audio out-put. As part of the software control for the audio out-put, one feature is what passes for a "graphic equalizer", with ten bar-slider options shown. (Wish I could post a screeny). The range is 31 - 62 - 125 - 250 - 500 - 1K - 2K - 4K - 8K - 16K. I presume these correspond to the available audio channels that I may adjust as needed. I have the current pre-sets at "Room" and "Soft" (with the in-game audio levels set at 30). If anyone could tell me which of these channels represents that which I really need to lessen the wash-out effect from hull strikes, I would be ever so appreciative. :)
And, it doesn't matter if it's my own hull/shield strike, or the first explosion of one of my victims, should I be flying a bit close. The unmitigated "noise" from either of these two instances, totally washes out the "sounds" from the other channels. Or so it appears. It's almost as if I had my own head inside of a 55-gallon drum, and someone smacked it REAL HARD with a baseball bat once, and I am just now, beginning to regain my hearing ability. Have had this issue since the start of the 1.400 series of Betas, RC's, and Release versions. No other "tweaks" have had as profound an effect on my game-play as have those which "fixed" the audio.
Any hints, tips, or tweaks would be helpful. :)

[Edited on 5-16-2011 by Ophiuchus]
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Couple of ideas. Some sound systems may deplete various other frequencies when heavy bass is applied. With your EQ options, I'd first try to tone down the sub-250 range to see if that helps. If not, try turning down the master volume in the game's options menu to reduce the overall output levels sent to the sound system. This should still let you control the volume outside of the game using the Logitech control panel or a volume adjustment on the speakers and with a reduced output, the speakers may handle it better. If that still won't work, then the next step would be to implement a custom adjusted effect for the two sounds giving you problems. Contact me via e-mail for that option if needed. I'll move this over to tech support.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
Ophiuchus
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by Ophiuchus »

Thanks Vice, for the quick response and suggestions. Should also have included in the above, that the same effect occurs when I use my Logitech G330 USB mic-headset. Will do my best with your suggestions. :)
MiaZ
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by MiaZ »

From post: 107272, Topic: tid=7583, author=Vice wrote: If not, try turning down the master volume in the game's options menu to reduce the overall output levels sent to the sound system.
I find this interesting.
I have the version that is still the one that crashes if i change the master volume while in game.
I can set the master volume from options menu ok though.

But for me to reduce to volume of the hit effects i need to turn up the master volume.
With master volume at 20 or 30 like i used to have, the hit effects were much too loud in comparison to the other sounds.
Master volume at 80, 90 or 100. things seems a lot more balanced.

This maybe is because of my sound card or other system details.
I have Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Actually Miaz, that is something that needs to be fixed. It appears that the upper sound channels used for those effects were not adjusted properly for various sound levels (particularly the sound effect for the player being hit by weapons). It has been fixed for the next update.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
MMaggio
Captain
Captain

Post by MMaggio »

Personally, I love the new sounds! The bass shakers on my chair pick it up and the chair really shakes with every hit! It's almost scary! Add that to losing ship control from the heavier weapons and you really feel knocked around. i wouldn't have it any other way! :D:D:D
\"To kill hubris with humility is a goal rarely achieved by men\"
Ophiuchus
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Post by Ophiuchus »

Thanks Vice. :cool::P
I've got the sub-250 zeroed out and my system master volume set at 75%. This has reduced the over-all wash-out effect and has reduced the impact noise level a bit. I'll not trouble you any further about this, and will work within my system's controls to address any further needs. I know that others enjoy the "new" sound scheme. It does add a touch of "realism" to the mix. No harm, no foul there. Just trying to work with what I got. :)