Connection unavailable or Blocked... *FIXED*

For help with SW3DG game related technical issues.
srigyre
Ensign
Ensign

Post by srigyre »

- EM1.288
- CPU : AMD Phenom 2 Quad core 3.4
- Version of Windows : Vista Ultimate 64 bit
- Installed memory (RAM) : 12 GB
- 3D video card make, model, and driver version : BFG NVIDIA GTX 280OCH2o; Driver version 270.61

Can not join/host or connect to dedicated server. Error Message:

"The game was unable to access your connection. Your connection may by blocked and/or unavailable..."

I have completely bypassed my router by physically disconnecting it from my modem. I have used two separate network cards to troubleshoot possible driver conflicts. Uninstalled/Reinstalled Vista /w drivers. I have updated Chipset/Video/Audio drivers. I have tried using a separate machine running Windows 7 and it works on my network using the router without adjusting firewall settings. I can only surmise that the problem is buried somewhere in my OS, specifically Windows Vista 64 bit. I am putting out the call for assistance as I have run out of ideas. I bought this game with the express purpose of running a dedicated server and it does me no good if It can't find my internet connection.

Anthony

[Edited on 5-30-2011 by Vice]
MMaggio
Captain
Captain

Post by MMaggio »

Hang in there srigyre, help is on the way. Vice will see your post and help soon. :)
\"To kill hubris with humility is a goal rarely achieved by men\"
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

I have not yet reached a conclusion on this problem that has occured with a few systems (part of the problem in determining a cause has been that so few systems encounter it). However, ruling out displaced/disabled network devices, of the few that encounter the problem, there does seem to be some common aspects. Some have a long record of haults in the error log, particular with core Windows system files and/or update failures. This can sometimes indicate system damage caused by malware/virus, which could in turn cause basic system functionality problems (crashes, BSOD's, CTD's, freezing, etc) including an inability to use multiplayer for a game.

For example, this system has update failures logged and a core system file (ntdll.dll) hault for a different game. So one step I'd suggest is making sure the system is clean (full boot time antivirus scan) and fully updated to the latest service pack for Vista.
StarWraith 3D Games
www.starwraith.com | www.spacecombat.org
3D Space Flight and Combat Simulations
srigyre
Ensign
Ensign

Post by srigyre »

I think the above posts are in the wrong thread guys.

In regards to ntdll.dll halts, those were generated when I left my Micro SD card reader in the USB port during a reboot. As for malware, I just cleanly installed the OS and installed the Internet Security program prior to activating my internet connection.

I was also wondering if It would be possible to use a virtual machine to run the client under a different OS. Could I then run the server on a second virtual machine and play/serve from the same box?

Anthony
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Ok, thanks for the info. My next suggestion would be to update Vista all the way to SP2 as that has solved a number of problems people have had with this and other games where a vanilla Vista install apparently leaves out some things some modern games depend on (of which, something might be related to network/winsock functionality).

If the virtual machine meets the minimum requirements for the program, it should work. It needs basic 3D support, WinXP minimum, and preferably several hundred MB of free physical memory.
StarWraith 3D Games
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Ok, I put together a new version of the voice chat test program. This version will provide more specific error/debug information any time it encounters a problem. Just enter a test name you want to use and your local LAN IP address. You can also test it over an external internet IP (just be sure to always use the correct address or you'll just get a TCP binding error). Then if/when it runs into a problem trying to access your network device, it should provide more details on the problem it is running into.

http://www.starwraith.com/evochronmerce ... ceChat.zip
StarWraith 3D Games
srigyre
Ensign
Ensign

Post by srigyre »

I am not sure if the above post has anything to do with my problem. I have installed Windows 7 now and I still can't run multiplayer. If it is not the OS, what is left?
Vice
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Vice »

Hardware, ie, your router, modem, etc. Even an ISP can block ports used for a game. The above program does relate as it provides more detailed information about why a connection could not be established on your system, exactly as stated. With that information, it might be possible to pin down where along the line the problem surfaces. Since you've installed a new OS (assuming you went straight to testing the game without installing other programs/network devices), then that would suggest the problem is on the hardware connection side of things - router, modem, ISP setup, etc.
StarWraith 3D Games