Another vote for a "hint" system...

Tips, tactics, and general discussion for Evochron Legacy.
MMaggio
Captain
Captain

Post by MMaggio »

There are systems/planets outside the known universe. Some have been found by other pilots.
\"To kill hubris with humility is a goal rarely achieved by men\"
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by DaveK »

From post: 106277, Topic: tid=7518, author=SeeJay wrote:Hi Dave.

I'll be happy to host your file when you want to publish it in my download section.

About exploring.
I have been far out (not as far as Gorf, LOL) and I haven't found any system "outside" the
known Universe. It seams, so far, that all hidden systems are between/around the known systems.
Thanks for the info about where not to look for hidden systems - looking at the number of blue blobs on the map I suspect that most have already been found - which is one reason why I wanted to produce an OS Map / Michelin Map version. - I can potter around and discover the new ones myself! :P

Thank you for the offer to host the edited file :D - I tried editing the big file from your site - deleting everything that doesn't show as a known system on the ship's Nav Map (including Agate/Agate Hub, Al's Quay, Lost Rucker, Vonari and even Sol even though they are talked about loads in the forum!) but . . . when I open it up in MapLog the data is all screwed up - some doesn't show, some isn't in the correct "headings", simply appearing at the end of the list. :(

I had deleted the long list of jumps at the end of the original file because the system ID's didn't match the System ID's in the main part - basically I just deleted uncharted stuff and rearranged things to that the System ID was at the start of the info section for its system. I then renumbered the lines so that everyline has a unique ID's starting at 0 for the first line - what did I do wrong? :(

Anyway I then reloaded your original file and used MapLog to delete the entries I didn't want to see and it seems to work- I have that file available. How can I get it to you?

:)
Callsign: Incoming
Life is like a sewer... what you get out of it depends on what you put into it. - Bob Newhart
Hell is being in a pure platinum asteroid field... with a diamond mining beam
ImageImage
Dave S
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Dave S »

Some sort of hint system would definitely add depth to the game. The hardest part is coming up with a hint system that is easily built by Vice without a major redesign, but also is not the same "canned" 5 or 10 messages that you keep running across for the hidden systems you found long ago.

Maybe in each system, there are a few "easter egg" (if you pardon the seasona pun) locations in each system that provide a general hint of:
- "There is a rumor of an uncharted star or planet with 200 sectors of galactic west of here"
- "There are reports of a wormhole within 100 sectors"

At least it will give you some hope of a potential find, but you still have to look. Also hiding "easter egg" crates around will incentivise pilots to get back into checking out asteroid belts, land on planets, and search through caves a little more. All of it gives a greater level of depth to the Evoverse.

Just my thoughts.
Image Image
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by DaveK »

I feel incentivised already! :P

I wonder how hard it is for Vice to add new objects? And how hard it would be to have them contain a message rather than a commodity.

In Atollski's MapLog, how does the colour hint work? Is it just for charted stuff. If not how does it know about the uncharted stuff without revealing all to anyone using the programme. ;)
Callsign: Incoming
Life is like a sewer... what you get out of it depends on what you put into it. - Bob Newhart
Hell is being in a pure platinum asteroid field... with a diamond mining beam
ImageImage
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

From post: 106293, Topic: tid=7518, author=DaveK wrote:In Atollski's MapLog, how does the colour hint work? Is it just for charted stuff. If not how does it know about the uncharted stuff without revealing all to anyone using the programme. ;)
:cool: The navigation map displays the system name. Each system name corresponds to whatever planet is closest to the player. If the planet is not in the MapLog database, it will register a different color from those already logged.

:o I have no idea, though, how the program can tell it's getting close to an unlogged planet.
SeeJay
Captain
Captain

Post by SeeJay »

Hi DaveK.

You can just email it to me: evochronatjunholt.se

I had the same problem with the file. (Any file that wasn't created by Atollskis program).
The program wouldn't start.

I ended up starting with an empty file and store all items with the program. That worked fine.
That put me off a bit since I didn't want to travel to all objects again.

I'll upload as soon as I receive the file.
\"Nothing is impossible, it only takes a bit longer!\"
\"We are not retreating, we are advancing in another direction!\"

http://evochron.junholt.se (Old)
http://www.evochron2.junholt.se (New)
http://mercenary.junholt.se (Map)
http://www.junholt.se/evoschool/index.htm (No spoilers)
-8- Bzzzzzzzzz! -8- -8-