Another vote for a "hint" system...

Tips, tactics, and general discussion for Evochron Legacy.
tn_prvteye
Ensign
Ensign

Post by tn_prvteye »

One thing that has drawn me to the Evochron Universe is the exploration aspect. I like the idea of the "unknown", and the opportunity to explore it.

However, after reading some threads about finding unknown systems, and looking at the EvoMetrics program, I realize I would never have found any of these places on my own.

I have also read the techniques to map new systems, but didn't really seem like my cup o' tea.

Someone in another thread mentioned adding "hints" to the System descriptions: "Rumors about unknown planet to the east" kinda thing. This idea intrigues me.

The Bar idea also seems brilliant. Kinda like in Sid Meier's Pirates! where you could buy a piece of treasure map. Maybe something like that could eventually be implemented. Pay 10,000 credits for maybe just a small bit if info (NorthWest of Sapphire system)...50,000 for MORE info (2 million clicks NorthWest of Sapphire)....and maybe 500,00 for exact coordinates. Just examples obviously.

Again, just my humble opinion. Now back to getting my custom color frames to work...
Rush
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Rush »

I am an explorer because I like the idea of exploration.
But I have little time to dedicate to such a hard task, so I completely stopped exploring.

I'd really like a hint system that can help you saving time ;)

Universe Explorers Clan
[UE]Rush
Ravenfeeder
Commander
Commander

Post by Ravenfeeder »

Ask in MP, or, check out SeeJays webpage, it's on the forum somewhere.
Image And mad cat
Sinbad
Commander
Commander

Post by Sinbad »

I think we had this discussion somewhere before, but I still like the idea of a hint system too... particularly the idea of being able to get info from passing AI pilots when you're way off the beaten track.

Universe Explorers Clan
[UE]Sinbad
Clan Leader

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known. - Carl Sagan
Rush
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Rush »

Yes but... looking at SeeJay's website is reading the solution... a hint would put together exploration+suspance+"do-it-yourself" :D

Universe Explorers Clan
[UE]Rush
MMaggio
Captain
Captain

Post by MMaggio »

Altho Seejay put in a lot of work, it is a "spoiler" and I would rather have "hints" myself.
\"To kill hubris with humility is a goal rarely achieved by men\"
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

Image Sounds like the beginnings of Quest Appendix No.3 ... hmmmm. ;)
Atollski
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Atollski »

Have built a hot/cold indicator into my nav program - the search box starts off blue, and gets redder the closer you get to an object you haven't visited yet. It's not perfect and relies on the program having a comprehensive list of locations/objects preset into it already but it's one way of implementing a hint system...
Like exploring? - Ver. 1.0 (13/02/2011) What is this?

tn_prvteye
Ensign
Ensign

Post by tn_prvteye »

Excellent, sounds like a great idea! I'll give it a go.
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

:cool: I have no idea how that would work but I'm standing by for distribution.
Capt_Caveman
Commander
Commander

Post by Capt_Caveman »

I mentioned this in an old thread but....
how about enemy cargo crates with intel inside, kill some vonari and get pices of there nav logs or some other info. just a recurring thought
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by DaveK »

We had a great discussion about hints (in various guises and at various levels with various methods), because exploring was so hard/boring with no help.

MapLog and Evometrics was the outcome and made exploring more feasible, realistic and fun. The hints idea faded because everyone who fancied exploring had some seriously good add-ons to play with.

Like others in this thread, I think that hints would add to the game - for me it's an "as well as" rather than "instead of" addition to the mapping/logging systems Atollski, SeeJay and Mapman have created (bless 'em!)

Hints/rumours at stations or even chat when trading with AI pilots = Level 1; Level 2, 3 etc would be buy/discover increasing precision of hints for increasing amounts of £££ or by doing certain contracts.

I love this game! (and this forum) :D
Callsign: Incoming
Life is like a sewer... what you get out of it depends on what you put into it. - Bob Newhart
Hell is being in a pure platinum asteroid field... with a diamond mining beam
ImageImage
Sinbad
Commander
Commander

Post by Sinbad »

I second you on all points there DaveK.

Being able to interact more with some of the AI pilots/ships to gain intel would add even more to the sense of immersion.

Universe Explorers Clan
[UE]Sinbad
Clan Leader

MMaggio
Captain
Captain

Post by MMaggio »

From post: 105977, Topic: tid=7518, author=capt_cronic wrote:I mentioned this in an old thread but....
how about enemy cargo crates with intel inside, kill some vonari and get pices of there nav logs or some other info. just a recurring thought
I like this idea...
\"To kill hubris with humility is a goal rarely achieved by men\"
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Marvin »

Image I still can't figure out how the "Internet" news is supposed to work.
Nigel_Strange
Captain
Captain

Post by Nigel_Strange »

I wonder if pilots who want transport to some location ever select hidden locations. This would be a great way to find out about new systems without implementing...anything new. The only thing is finding those pilots who want to go to Secret Base or Hidden Fortress.

It would be nice if the pilots actually referred to the location by name, as well as by coordinates.

So, maybe Vice can answer: do the passengers ever ask to go to unknown systems?
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Post by Maarschalk »

That would be a neat Idea, Passengers giving you clues in exchange for the info and transportation to the passengers unknown/hidden destination which could be an ambush by pirates or a way to unknown riches.....;):cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

Evochron Mercenary Stats:

Darkness is the absence of Light as Evil is the absence of Good
Sinbad
Commander
Commander

Post by Sinbad »

I once picked up a passenger in Sirius that wanted to go to "Unknown" research facility in sector something-or-other.

Universe Explorers Clan
[UE]Sinbad
Clan Leader

Rush
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Rush »

Wow nice ideas...these passengers should show up more often.
Also the "bar idea" is good. I once played a game called "Escape Velocity" that was somehow similar to Evochron. Every spaceport had its bar, and many important quests showed up in certain moments when you went to take a drink or two ;)
I think something like a "bar" would be a fine addition to the gameplay :D

Universe Explorers Clan
[UE]Rush
Atollski
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Atollski »

From post: 105967, Topic: tid=7518, author=Marvin wrote::cool: I have no idea how that would work but I'm standing by for distribution.
It's already built in from something like 0.7 onwards! All you need is a comprehensive data file to provide you the data and you're good to go! Pay attention to the colour of the search box in the top right hand corner :)
Like exploring? - Ver. 1.0 (13/02/2011) What is this?

Knight Rider
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Knight Rider »

I'm in on the hint system..I for one enjoy exploration, but, I must admit Evochron is one big #$* System, :D and a hint and not a spoiler would be great.
DennyMala
Captain
Captain

Post by DennyMala »

Main problem was the import of the comprehensive data file with Atoll's program.

Once we can get it down straight from the achive in SeeJay's site we'll be set to go.

Each and every knowledge on the universe put into the site will be automatically dispersed to every client if the client wants.
Best regards

[IM] DennyMala
Rush
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Rush »

Another thing I'd like to see, is more descriptions and info. We have some information about the system, but nothing about the single stations and planets. I think it would very nice to read some more descriptions, especially about hidden planets and systems.
It would also be some kind of reward for exploring :)

Universe Explorers Clan
[UE]Rush
DaveK
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by DaveK »

An offer to those who use maplog:

I'm in the process of creating a navdata file that just has the charted systems in it, with planets, stations, cities etc. It will act like a Michelin Guide to the Evoverse.

At the moment I'm using a very comprehensive file from SeeJay's site and I'm ignoring the uncharted stuff because I like the idea of finding things myself. If anyone is interested I'll find a way of posting the simplified version when it's finished.

When I've looked at Evometric, the number of blue "discovered systems" in the central area looks like blue measles! I flew between Pearl and Deneb and between Alpha Centauri and Sol and found zero undiscovered systems (unless I'm screwing up the spotting technique) :D

There are no blue dots outside the central core on Evometrics. Is this because no-one has looked outwards yet or are all the systems in a globular cluster? I'm happy exploring but a hint that outside is worth a look would help save hours and hours of empty space - reminiscent of exploring in the old days! ;)
Callsign: Incoming
Life is like a sewer... what you get out of it depends on what you put into it. - Bob Newhart
Hell is being in a pure platinum asteroid field... with a diamond mining beam
ImageImage
SeeJay
Captain
Captain

Post by SeeJay »

Hi Dave.

I'll be happy to host your file when you want to publish it in my download section.

About exploring.
I have been far out (not as far as Gorf, LOL) and I haven't found any system "outside" the
known Universe. It seams, so far, that all hidden systems are between/around the known systems.
\"Nothing is impossible, it only takes a bit longer!\"
\"We are not retreating, we are advancing in another direction!\"

http://evochron.junholt.se (Old)
http://www.evochron2.junholt.se (New)
http://mercenary.junholt.se (Map)
http://www.junholt.se/evoschool/index.htm (No spoilers)
-8- Bzzzzzzzzz! -8- -8-