Increased weapons range

Tips, tactics, and general discussion for Evochron Legacy.
Galaxian
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Increased weapons range

Post by Galaxian »

Without writing a novel about why I think this would be cool, or the 'physics' involved, I was curious if anyone else had similar thoughts:

Anyone besides me interested in the possibility of extending weapons range for laser/particle weapons, thus expanding the 'engagement envelope' by some significant amount.

:cool:

[Edited on 4-15-2011 by Galaxian]
- Galaxy Defense Industries -

Find out more --> Galaxy Defense Industries

*If the enemy is in weapons range, so are you.*
Dave S
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Increased weapons range

Post by Dave S »

I like having to get into knife range. If you want long distance duels then use your missiles (though missiles are mostly useless in this game unless you are just trying to thin out some AI's). Just my two cents.
Image Image
Marvin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Increased weapons range

Post by Marvin »

:o Extending cannon range won't increase my kill rate ... it will just increase the rate at which I get killed.
Rush
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Increased weapons range

Post by Rush »

Usually my fights are: reach high speed, fire missiles from point blank distance while firing cannons, evade.
Furballs are rare, especially because even 5 v 1 is pretty hard when each enemy has 8 missiles...
I like getting into gun range, but I'm rarely able to do so, except in 1 or 2 v 1.

Increasing gun range, or better decreasing missile damage or agility could be reasonable options.

Universe Explorers Clan
[UE]Rush
SeeJay
Captain
Captain

Increased weapons range

Post by SeeJay »

I like it as it is.

Close up fights so you can see the terror in your opponents eyes!:P
Just before the nice fireball!;)
\"Nothing is impossible, it only takes a bit longer!\"
\"We are not retreating, we are advancing in another direction!\"

http://evochron.junholt.se (Old)
http://www.evochron2.junholt.se (New)
http://mercenary.junholt.se (Map)
http://www.junholt.se/evoschool/index.htm (No spoilers)
-8- Bzzzzzzzzz! -8- -8-
Maarschalk
Captain
Captain

Increased weapons range

Post by Maarschalk »

Leave as is.......for long distance you have FTs.....LOL.....:P:P:P:P:P:P:P
Arvoch Alliance Stat:

Evochron Legends Stats:

Evochron Mercenary Stats:

Darkness is the absence of Light as Evil is the absence of Good
Avenger
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Increased weapons range

Post by Avenger »

From post: 105792, Topic: tid=7503, author=Rush wrote:Usually my fights are: reach high speed, fire missiles from point blank distance while firing cannons, evade.
Furballs are rare, especially because even 5 v 1 is pretty hard when each enemy has 8 missiles...
I like getting into gun range, but I'm rarely able to do so, except in 1 or 2 v 1.

Increasing gun range, or better decreasing missile damage or agility could be reasonable options.
Sounds like you fight in IDS mode, then fighting multiple foes is hard.
In Inertial mode it's easy to combat large mobs, even those 12 foes per waypoint contracts I can do on my own without getting any damage.

Back on topic, for me it makes no difference either way since I like ranged combat with cannons, hence the reason I use a cannon with 700 yards range and so far it's working fine for me.
Although in Freespace there where weapons that could shoot a lot further and I used them quite a lot.
These where all tactical weapons though, like a kenetic weapon with high rate of fire and relative low damage or the Maxim, a cannon with extreme long range with very low shield damage but a very high hull damage.
I used the Maxim mostly to blast smaller types of capital ships to pieces or shoot weapon turrets and subsystems at long range before moving in for the kill since them capital ships in Freespace are death traps for small fighters.

Since none of the capital ships in EM are dangerous there is little need for tactical long range weapons like that though.

So I would say it's fine as it is now in EM.
Galaxy Defense Force Operator
Join the GDF!
Rush
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Increased weapons range

Post by Rush »

Hmm... I need more practice with inertia. I already use it, but with not very good results :D

Universe Explorers Clan
[UE]Rush
Ol Slow Poke
Ensign
Ensign

Increased weapons range

Post by Ol Slow Poke »

Inertia is the way to go. Getting urself lined up exactly right is the key!

Anyway, I like the game "as is". Getting in close and personal is as real as it gets for me;)

Cheers, Pokey
Ophiuchus
Lieutenant Jr. Grade
Lieutenant Jr. Grade

Increased weapons range

Post by Ophiuchus »

I am comfortable with the Max-R/Neodmium combo I am currently using. Although, I do use this combo on the larger mil and civ frames that have the larger power cores inherent. I could however, see the benefits of increasing the effective range of the Max-R another 25-50 meters, increasing the cyclic rate to 120, and increasing the ordnance package 5-10 more in yield. Or build/name another cannon with parameters approaching. Until then, I'll use whut I got! :)
Galaxian
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Increased weapons range

Post by Galaxian »

While I am perfectly content with weapons systems as they are now as far as gameplay goes.

I was just thinking as I was blasting away at some reds......

If this were 'real' space combat.I'd expect weapons this advanced to have much more range, relative to say, some old fashioned, ballistic small arms round from ancient earth history that can reach out and touch something in a significant way at 1000 meters....

Maybe I've just read too much military Sci-Fi... :P
- Galaxy Defense Industries -

Find out more --> Galaxy Defense Industries

*If the enemy is in weapons range, so are you.*